Storage Solutions External Storage Drive buy help needed.

princeoo7

On a Journey called Life :P
Skilled
I am planing to get 1 or 2 external drives.
Need one for software and projects and other for personal files.
Should I get one big drive and divide it or get 2 seprate drives ?
I don't have Study material :p also no movies will be stored on this.

What should I get and how much of a capacity for a long life drive.

the keyword is MTBF (mean time between failure) usually enterprise class drives have higher mtbf.

if the scenario is write once read many, smr drives are okay as they will be cheaper.

I am planing to get 1 or 2 external drives.
Need one for software and projects and other for personal files.
Should I get one big drive and divide it or get 2 seprate drives ?
I don't have Study material :p also no movies will be stored on this.

What should I get and how much of a capacity for a long life drive.
Get 2 drives or 3 if you can. I would say 1 x 3 tb. I would had got all 3 of different brands.

My Passport™ Ultra or My Passport™ series would you recommend ?​

Except for size, design and usb interface there isn't much of a diff. between these two so choose any.
I would actually recommended (I personally prefer) a mix of 2 internals + 1 external.
Samsung and Adata are also good.
If you budget permits then lookout for an ssd.

Except for size, design and usb interface there isn't much of a diff. between these two so choose any.
I would actually recommended (I personally prefer) a mix of 2 internals + 1 external.
Samsung and Adata are also good.
If you budget permits then lookout for an ssd.
I already have internal drive. Need external for extra copy. Ssd is like 7k+ for 1tb.

Look for wd essential drive series. Even if usb port gets damaged, you can remove hdd from casing and retrieve data. This is not possible with other wd series

he already has 2 pcs he could have easily virtualized the second one make a proper nas out of it ,already suggested to him sunte kidhar hai aaj kal k launde

go for HGST drives if reliability is priority , but than if your requirement portability than you only have WD & seagate are only main players , may be toshiba no other options.

other options are buy laptop hdd and do casing if it saves money overall, if its external than have multiple 1tb drives as external drives would face lots of physical abuse and probability of failure is high

he already has 2 pcs he could have easily virtualized the second one make a proper nas out of it ,already suggested to him sunte kidhar hai aaj kal k launde

go for HGST drives if reliability is priority , but than if your requirement portability than you only have WD & seagate are only main players , may be toshiba no other options.

other options are buy laptop hdd and do casing if it saves money overall, if its external than have multiple 1tb drives as external drives would face lots of physical abuse and probability of failure is high
external drives will be used rarley and are purly for storing it as an external asset. baki nas wagere will do when I have my own home :p abhi kidhar ye sab karte baithu ...

I have my 2 casing converted internal hdds hooked into my high tower cabinet itself. Thanks to 3.5in slots which I put to good use. So no abuse whatsoever. I hate keeping stuff in drawers and regretting later

Look for wd essential drive series. Even if usb port gets damaged, you can remove hdd from casing and retrieve data. This is not possible with other wd series
Just for info: Not sure about the present ones, but I had one WD Essentials making funny noises & decided to get rid of it. I thought the case would be useful opened & found that WD soldered the USB port directly to the PCB of the HDD. Had to throw everything.
Get 2 drives or 3 if you can. I would say 1 x 3 tb. I would had got all 3 of different brands.
+1

I maintain 3 copies of my photos & dox this way - 1 internal, 2 external. Weekly backups.

For backup of storage only why not a zipped password protected in Google shared drive which is unlimited ?
I was checking out Google workspace , Business Standard is only 672/ for 1 user per month and the admin gets unlimited shared drive . The shared drive is added to own personal google account
So why not ? Or am i missing something ?
We can share the cost , lets say between 6 users that makes it 112/ per month for unlimited Google drive storage .
I am in if anyone wants . Use rclone with encrypted backups and no one can see your data . These account get banned if you share data by Google drive links and whole world starts downloading
Thats why i said storage only

Last edited:
i remember similar implementation , one bastard had created a program which would backup all the tunes on soundcloud to S3 .This was when amazon too said unlimited storage , when they saw this users backup thier jewels dropped and defined unlimited :p

i remember similar implementation , one bastard had created a program which would backup all the tunes on soundcloud to S3 .This was when amazon too said unlimited storage , when they saw this users backup thier jewels dropped and defined unlimited :p
Shared drive already has a limit , but its difficult to reach it https://support.google.com/a/answer/7338880
From Google - "Maximum items in a shared drive
A shared drive can contain a maximum of 400,000 items, including files, folders, and shortcuts."

Back