Extracting a password protected file

benryu

Adept
I have a rar file and don't have the password. Is there any way to extract it or can someone help me with doing this?

Appreciate the help provided.

Where did you get it or who gave you the rar file? If you downloaded from a torrent file forget it. It's a fake file. Could be a virus that could wipe out your hdd too. It could be random junk too. Could be anything. There was a thread regarding this password protected rar file in this section with passwords in it. Can't find it.

But if it is legitimate file that you probably password protected and then forgot the password, then there are many softwares available that employ methods like dictionary attack, brute force etc to try guessing the password.
Brute force might for sure give you the password but then the time required depends on the complexity and length of the password. These softwares i think are capable of guessing like 1,00,000 (or more depending on processing power of your machine) passwords per second or so.

if you download from internet, just search whats exactly the filename with extension. easier and fast method as some people would comment and shit on the uploader.
eg. abcd.rar

This one is a game trainer. Password file is protected by a link with some stupid surveys that dont work.

Did you try entering the entire website name (with www and all) as password ? Many a times that is the case.
Or search online for password, google it. I once had found password for a file like that. Because before you probably someone must have downloaded the file and found / cracked the password.

Use rarcrack. It takes a lot of time to do a brute force attack (sometimes even days). You can configure it to use your GPU memory (DDR5 types) and GPU to do some of the math. All solutions for this are available (open source). In my experience, I've had a 20% success rate. Low cause of the time it takes for complex passwords.

Dont bother. Even those stupid survey removers did not work. I wanted a trainer for Shellrazer as I wanted a comparison on which of the attacking weapons were good. Finished the game anyways and deleted it.

yup gave up the idea of trying to get a trainer even though i see a lot of players using them

Apparently the surveys for india are crap and never work, like for the shopping site surveys u need to actually buy a product to unlock the password. (have done I t once, cancelled the order later, but don't blame me if it doesn't work now).

The surveys in the US apparently work 100%.

Back