Graphic Cards eXtreme Power plus 500W & ASUS GTX460

Haddock

Adept
Hi,

I bought eXtreme Power plus 500W, 2-3 years ago, I've never had any kind of problem with it till date, in-fact i bought it for the brand name it carries.

My PC config -
Intel Core2Duo e4500
Intel 965 Media series ATX m/b
3GB Corsair XMS2 800MHz (1x2GB, 2x512MB)
Hitachi 500GB + 80GB deskstar
NEC DVD Drive
Zebronics AntiBiotic cabinet - 3x 80mm LED Fans + 1 LCD screen

Now I'm getting a graphics card - ASUS GTX 460 1GB - ASUSTeK Computer Inc. - Graphics Cards - ASUS ENGTX460 DirectCU/2DI/1GD5 .

Will this graphics card work without any problems with the PSU?

because nVidia recommends
The ASUS GeForce GTX 460 video card requires a 450 Watt or greater power supply with a minimum of 24 Amps on the +12 volt rail.
source : ASUS GeForce ENGTX460 TOP 768MB Video Card Review - The ASUS ENGTX460 Top VoltageTweak - Legit Reviews
Though the PSU meets the requirement, some people have said the extreme power+ series becomes unstable above 60% of load.

I can remove the 80GB HDD if needed.

pls advice :)

it will run but without any breathing room for the smps......i suggest if u can get another smps get vx 450w or another better and cheaper option is drop gtx 460 and get ati 5770 the tdp of 5770 is lower and it will be easily within limits of ur smps and if u want nvidia only then go for gts 450

and removing the hd wont have much impact since hd and rams are the least power comsuming components in any system

I HAVE A SIMILAR SITUATION, i got the 600w version, will i be able to use a card with similar tdp ??? i have no intention of capturing ur thread haddock, but even i want to know if i can do so, else i will have to sell it for way low price and get a 5k+ psu , which i really cannot manage currently :( , please help

^^

See the problem with the eXtreme Power Plus is its inherent stability over 60% load + build quality is poor I recommend that in @Haddok's case bruv, you accommodate a decent PSU first and then set your sights on the graphic card and please don't buy ASUS as the RMA handled by Rashi Peripherals has a lousy case history, that is why TE members avoid suggesting ASUS components.

In your case @pratz only option is wait it out -- pray-- hope that the PSU doesn't die on you and as soon as possible after saving some cash get a decent PSU, minimum Corsair VX 550 OR FSP Blue Storm 500W and if you can spare a bit more cash -- Corsair TX 650W will be what you should aim for Enthusiast Series

@Haddok bruv, Cooler Master is known for misleading people on their brand name --

their premier PSU solution the Real Power Pro series is now EoL. -- The successor to this line the GX series of power supply is more reminiscent of their cheaper siblings the eXtreme series.
the Cooler Master eXtreme series SUCKS.
the only decent option is either shell out more in Cooler Master and get the new Silent Power Pro series (modular cables, good build).
OR you go for the Corsair VX 550W OR FSP Blue Storm series PSU's.

I've been running Palit GTX 260 Core 216 sonic edition with AMD Athlon II X4 640 with 2 HDDs, a writer and 3 fans on extreme Power Plus 500 W since last two years.. nothing happened.. Also, I ran AMD Phenom II 720 BE with Sapphire 4890 when my processor was overclocked to 3.6 GHz.. then also it ran fine.. E4400 has less TDP than these two processors so it should run perfectly.. but you really need a processor upgrade as it will create bottleneck for the card..

thanks for the answers guys.

I'm getting the gfx card from USA (ASUS or EVGA) (bestbuy :p), so not much options there.

reg. PSU, CPU upgrade, once the home loan is cleared, i can have some budget for them, besides I'm not hadrcore gamer :D

I also have to buy golf kit, 18k :(

i only play select few games, - GTA4, TF2, bullet storm, BFBC2, AC2 on m8600gs laptop :bleh:, so anything above 30fps is a maaaaasive improvement for me + since CPU is low-end, i wont bother with OC'ing :D

Dear Haddock,

Thank you for sharing your concern. Technically, you should be able to run the Nvidia GTX460. However i wouldn't suggest going down that lane and that's nothing to do with any quality issues with the Extreme series. Given the configuration you are running, and the GTX 460 you plan to add the 500W would be stretched to its limits. I would suggest you upgrade your PSU to higher wattage, not only to accommodate the graphics card, but also newer components such as HDDs you may want to add later. If your looking at higher efficiency power supplies from Cooler Master, i would suggest the Silent Pro series or the GX series. Both are 80 Plus certified.

For knowing how much wattage you may need, please follow this URL and key in your configuration in the Wattage Calculator. It will give you an good estimate.

Cooler Master Power Supply Calculator - Standard (wattage calculator)

Cheers!

Sanket (sanket UNDERSCORE naik AT coolermaster DOT com)

@Coolermaster

MY config is in my signature , if i add a 6870 the wattage shown in the calculator given above is appprox 439 watts but the smps its suggesting me includes CM extreme power plus 390 w , 360w :O , so how accurate are the suggestions

hellknight_mnd said:
I've been running Palit GTX 260 Core 216 sonic edition with AMD Athlon II X4 640 with 2 HDDs, a writer and 3 fans on extreme Power Plus 500 W since last two years.. nothing happened.. Also, I ran AMD Phenom II 720 BE with Sapphire 4890 when my processor was overclocked to 3.6 GHz.. then also it ran fine.. E4400 has less TDP than these two processors so it should run perfectly.. but you really need a processor upgrade as it will create bottleneck for the card..
You sir put a time-bomb inside your case.

ALPHA17 said:
^^

In your case @pratz only option is wait it out -- pray-- hope that the PSU doesn't die on you and as soon as possible after saving some cash get a decent PSU, minimum Corsair VX 550 OR FSP Blue Storm 500W and if you can spare a bit more cash -- Corsair TX 650W will be what you should aim for Enthusiast Series

@Haddok bruv, Cooler Master is known for misleading people on their brand name --

their premier PSU solution the Real Power Pro series is now EoL. -- The successor to this line the GX series of power supply is more reminiscent of their cheaper siblings the eXtreme series.

the Cooler Master eXtreme series SUCKS.

the only decent option is either shell out more in Cooler Master and get the new Silent Power Pro series (modular cables, good build).

OR you go for the Corsair VX 550W OR FSP Blue Storm series PSU's.
Thnx Alpha for the insight , appreciate it !! :) ... my next buy is definatly going to be the corsair PSU u Mentioned , :)

Back