Storage Solutions Extremely Hot WD Black 1 TB Hard Disks

sg3707

Adept
HI Folks,

I have Two 1Tb WD Black Hard Disks connected to my system. My Cpu temp is around 40C and Graphics around 50-C.

The problem is HD temp is always around 60C. When the system starts it is around 30C but within 2 hours of even no activity the temps go to 60C. I am planning to add a fan and HD cooler but is the problem with the Hard Disks because there is also a WD green 500GB in the same case whose temps are around 40 at the same time.
Config: i5, MSi GD80, XFX 4870, cabiet: NZXT Gamma with 1 120mm fan @back. OS Installed: Win 7 ultimate

I think its because WD Blacks are performance hard disks, thus the faster and constant spinning of the platters, hence higher temps. Just as far as my knowledge goes..

But still the temps shouldn't be crossing 45. Ive got 2 x WD 1TB Blacks and both run @ 42.Trying lowering the temp using a fan , if it doesn't work .RMA the drive. :)

60'C is way too much for a hard drive! Back up the data and RMA it.

Btw what is the ventilation setup inside the enclosure like? Don't you have a fan in the front that blows air to the drives?

I too have 1 TB caviar black but the temperatures are always between 39(idle) - 43 C (load), the caviar green 500 GB temp are in the range 35 - 39 C.

I think you should get a front fan for HDD cooling.

I will have the front fan set up in a coule of days. But still the drive gets hot in a matter of 1 -2 Hours even though it is Idle.

Which fan do you suggest that would be better suited to this job

^What slot do you have in the front? Anything cheap and decent would do. In the likes of the Amigo 120mm, Coolermaster (don't buy the plain black one - that sucks! They bundle this fan with most of their enclosures). Someone else could suggest that.

Is there adequate spacing between the drives in the enclosure? If not, space them in such a way that the hot air is expelled out of the space between them with the front fan attached.

sg3707 said:
I will have the front fan set up in a coule of days. But still the drive gets hot in a matter of 1 -2 Hours even though it is Idle.

Which fan do you suggest that would be better suited to this job
Any 120 mm fan around 60 CFM & above with 1200 - 2000 RPM will do the job very well. I think a 45 CFM fan too can cool the HDD's. Go for any of the brand like CM,Silverstone,Sunbeam, skythe,notua etc...

Btw i was just browsing the WD website & checking specs; wd 1 TB operating temp range is 0 C to 60 C. you are at the max, so get the fans at the earliest.

Update: Added a 120mm, 90 CFM CM case fan in the front and a Evercool twin fan HDD fan to OS hard disk. Temperatures have been a stable 35-37C ever since.

Thanks to all TE members

^^Good to hear that. I have 5 HDD in my system all of which are WD performance drives including one 1TB Black series drive and all them run at 38~40 deg.

Glad to know that the issue is resolved and was a silly one actually. :)

But how come you have a NZXT Gamma and didn't have a front fan for intake+HDD cooling? :S

Doesn't the Gamma come with a fan at the front?

BIKeINSTEIN said:
Glad to know that the issue is resolved and was a silly one actually. :)

But how come you have a NZXT Gamma and didn't have a front fan for intake+HDD cooling? :S

Doesn't the Gamma come with a fan at the front?
i think he switched the fan to the back.

it does make a lot of difference though as evident in this case.

im using push pull for the HDD cage now. Temps never went above 41c even on the hottest day of summer for both WD drives.

one is WD Black n other is green

the stock gamma fan is not that great at moving air.. some 45cfm rated.

^Gamma comes with only one fan? :(

An exhaust fan at the rear, atleast one 120mm is very important too.

They should ban all these 800-1300 rpm 40cfm odd fans like the ones in CM cases etc- only show, no flow :p

BIKeINSTEIN said:
^Gamma comes with only one fan? :(

An exhaust fan at the rear, atleast one 120mm is very important too.

They should ban all these 800-1300 rpm 40cfm odd fans like the ones in CM cases etc- only show, no flow :p
yes it comes only one fan..that too is kind of useless for those who are concerned about ventilation..it is a good supplied for an average joe..i suppose the product was market for those.

yes these slow fans should be optional, as the inflate the price unnecessarily for those want to design airflow :(

well then if i look at this from another POV, im happy gamma comes with only one 120mm slow fan :p

currently im hosting 5 120mm fans in gamma.

one is 90cfm(rated) fan that comes with ccf ..this one is at the front intake for hdds.

the supplied nzxt fan is being used in push-pull for hdds.

rest of the 3fans are 120mm Deltas (yes the jet engines :p).

but im in no way running them at max speed.

one is being used over ccf, speed is controlled via PWM, PWM is configured from bios to run it at ~2k rpm when temp reaches ~40c.

currently at 1.5k rpm at 35c.

the other 2 deltas..

one is used for front intake above dvd rom... running at 7V at all times.

the last delta is for rear exhaust..running via variable speed controller that comes with ccf.. currently at slowest speed..just so that i have positive air flow.

The cabinet stays dust free comparatively to all fans at full speed...temps do not change by more than 2c at max load with fans at full speed that is.

all the dust that is collected is at the air filters.

overall the machine is silent with side panel installed...can hear it running only at night..

have one more 120mm ccf fan and one delta 120mm lying around..

had installed both at top exhaust..

did not make any difference so keeping them aside for now :)

Back