Extremely pathetic slow internet surfing

nRiTeCh

Skilled
I'm on the ever crap shitty hathway broadband.

Since 2 weeks I'm facing a very weird issue with my internet.

IDM file download speed is perfect fine but surfing any site is a hit or miss across all browsers. The speeds are either kbps or sites struggle load just like 2 decades ago 32kbps, in fact even google page takes ags o load at times.
Uploading a mere 1kb file takes half hour that too with 100s failures.

No proxy no firewall no antivirus.

Windows 10 64 bit updated to latest on bth laptops and desktop.

Tested on desktop and laptops both wired and wireless on stock hathway router.

What could all of a suden possibly go wrong on surfing part?

As for dns I'm not using anything nor this bshit hathway router has any manual dns setting, funny but true.

Last edited:
I'm on the ever crap shitty hathway broadband.

Since 2 weeks I'm facing a very weird issue with my internet.

IDM file download speed is perfect fine but surfing any site is a hit or miss across all browsers. The speeds are either kbps or sites struggle load just like 2 decades ago 32kbps, in fact even google page takes ags o load at times.
Uploading a mere 1kb file takes half hour that too with 100s failures.

No proxy no firewall no antivirus.

Windows 10 64 bit updated to latest on bth laptops and desktop.

Tested on desktop and laptops both wired and wireless on stock hathway router.

What could all of a suden possibly go wrong on surfing part?

As for dns I'm not using anything nor this bshit hathway router has any dns setting, funny but true.
Do a tracert to the site, start a continuous ping test to all the IP shown in the tracert, start with the first hop and see where the packet loss is or high ping, if a switch or server within the ISP network is bad or hanging, the ping will be high or packet loss. You could then mail them with screenshot.
Atleast thats how I do it with my local ISP.

1664810317855.png

1664810332532.png

Right now ,manually added google dns to my Ethernet adapter and got above response.
1664810489571.png

Hatways docsis router settings which cannot be altered aka no option to specify manual dns.

Hatways docsis router settings which cannot be altered aka no option to specify manual dns.
Go to LAN section and there must be an option of DHCP and DNS settings there. Change DNS to 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1 (Cloudflare) there and see if this changes anything.
If not, you can manually assign DNS to your device such as in windows pc network adaptor settings.

Go to LAN section and there must be an option of DHCP and DNS settings there. Change DNS to 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1 (Cloudflare) there and see if this changes anything.
If not, you can manually assign DNS to your device such as in windows pc network adaptor settings.
Thats what I did man for goggle dns, even tried cloudfare yet nothing fair..

1664812003267.png
1664812018281.png

Changing the DSN wouldn't help. The response time of 13ms for ping is quite good. You are most prob being throttled.

Do what adder says.

"Do a tracert to the site, start a continuous ping test to all the IP shown in the tracert, start with the first hop and see where the packet loss is or high ping, i"

You need to spot the switch which is dropping the packet.

Changing the DSN wouldn't help. The response time of 13ms for ping is quite good. You are most prob being throttled.

Do what adder says.

"Do a tracert to the site, start a continuous ping test to all the IP shown in the tracert, start with the first hop and see where the packet loss is or high ping, i"

You need to spot the switch which is dropping the packet.
Ok but to which site google or hathway?

Ok but to which site google or hathway?
If the issue is happening for all sites, you can try any website/ip address. Some ISP have separate link to google servers, which also cache youtube videos, if this is the case then google services may work fine but rest of the traffic may have issues or vice versa. So if the issue is in the first few hops then its a ISP issue, go to cmd prompt, type tracert "the website or ip address", and once it lists all the ip address of the hops, start eleminating one by one by doing continous ping starting with the first hop, including your router ip address.

Tested for 5 mins, getting pinged without any request timeouts..
My mistake. I assumed the three traceroutes were to the same destination.

You have to ping two IP addresses. One before and one after the "Request timed out".

Or, if you do traceroutes to the same destination multiple times, you may see some outputs that do not have the "Request timed out" line. The first IP address that reports timeouts some times is the culprit.

Last edited:
Looks like one of the Jio devices is dropping the packet. Both 136.232.32.29 and 103.198.140.64 (from the third tracert) belong to Jio.

It could also be that ping is disabled on the device.

Request timed out doesn't necessarily mean it's delaying, that node may simply be configured to not respond to icmp packets.

Op sounds like you're on asymmetric speeds? What is your upload bandwidth? With asymmetric, I used to have this issue when the upload was limited to 1mbps.

You can also use winmtr to run continuous traceroutes instead of one time with cmd.

Back