Fair way to buy expensive item

UserRG

Disciple
Just as the title says. My largest purchase so far from forums is 50k where I had transferred entire money upfront with just a verbal agreement, then lucked out with seller being genuine. This time, I am thinking to transfer half, then other half on delivery. I see people buying 50k+ stuff here, what's the usual agreement ?

I was asked this recently by a new member, here's what I advised:

You could negotiate partial payment, half after courier pickup and half after delivery. Some people sometimes ask for ID copy over whatsapp for larger purchases though I've never done that.

Some other members have asked the senior/experienced members to be a witness by adding them the PM conversation to oversee the transaction but again, I've never been a part of that.

Personally for new sellers, I ask for whatsapp number and pursue the transaction there. I ask for new photos of the item, of the item being packaged, of the outer package, of the courier slip with tracking number.

Other members may have more suggestions.

Have a pre-agreement as to what happens in case of damage in transit: neither seller nor buyer wants to take the entire risk of loss, as witnessed in deals gone wrong here. This will save you both a lot of headache down the line, and help you weigh the risk if you should even go ahead with a non F2F deal

Back