PC Peripherals Falcon Northwest Replies to [H]ardOCP's Fragbox review fiasco

Blade_Runner

Skilled
Back at the end of October, Gaming/Tech Website HardOCP posted a review of an AMD 64 FragBox 2. I originally did not post this review because the score was very low, and as I have experienced in the past, when a Falcon Northwest product scores low in a review, there is usually something wonky going on. I spoke with Falcon Northwest President Kelt Reeves about the review and he hoped that the web site would be posting a retraction or reevaluation concerning the review soon, and then I would be able to post a link to the review with good conscience. Well, the response or retraction to the review was posted, and I must say this just made the situation worse. I then asked Kelt if he would write up a Fan Page exclusive rebuttal to the review so I could post it here, and he graciously obliged. The original review of the FragBox 2 can be found here . The retraction or correction, or whatever it is can be found here . Kelt's rebuttal is as follows:

To this day, Kyle & Chris have both been extremely active on theirs and other forums defending their position from people now questioning the review. I had decided to just bite my tongue and let the review fade. But it’s been more than a week of this, and if they’re going to keep restating and restating the opinion that torpedoed our review (and their own correction) it’s time our side was heard.

First, and most importantly, why I complained about the review at all: The MSI/ATI board performed well in this review. Its performance was, according to Chris “Extremely fast.” For MSI and ATI to be unjustly accused of the instability was premature and proved wrong, and that was my primary point to have corrected. To HardOCP’s credit they (technically) corrected it. However, their first line bold statement of “ATI Not the Problem” was pretty much nullified by Kyle’s restating and elaborating even more vehemently his opinion of the ATI chipset, based on some other review he’d done in the past. He said it “might be fine for email and Web surfing boxes, but it is not a good solution for gamers.” That this chipset actually performed very well in gaming in this review, which was the supposed point of their correction, just seemed to fuel Kyle’s hatred of it. Although the correction begins with “ATI Not the Problem”, by the end of the page most readers seem to be leaving with Kyle’s opinion that the ATI chipset is a problem.

The whole issue in this review is that the videocard developed some slight breakdown at HardOCP – after it passed our burn-in. It passed our 14 hour loop of 3DMark05 at 1600x1200 4x/8x in an 85F room, as well as the rest of our 3 day burn-in tests. When we received the FragBox back from HardOCP, 3DMark05 would BSOD with an “NV4DISP” error after 5 hours of looping at 1024 in a 74F room. The card was breaking down, but not showing any corruption or other obvious signs of failure. If it was a more pronounced error, we could’ve diagnosed it on the phone and just overnighted them a new one.

Kyle & Chris have made a big deal of the fact that our technical support suspected it was the motherboard/memory causing the issue, and that HardOCP called several times over a week and we couldn’t fix this over the phone. Since the graphics card seemed to be running fine during the review, and CPUs rarely go bad, the motherboard or its interaction with memory seemed to our technical support, and to Chris, to be the most likely culprit of the BF2 lockups. And we freely admit when this board first came out we needed to get some BIOS tweaks done to fix a memory timing issue with a specific game title. This BF2 lockup after hours of playing was acting similarly, so we kept an open mind. We were ALL proven wrong in suspecting the motherboard. How does our being mistaken in our suspicion in any way make HardOCP any less wrong themselves? They admitted they were wrong, but still use our tech support’s emails thinking it may be a motherboard issue as some sort of ‘defense’ in their forum posts. Huh?

HardOCP’s mistake was posting that it was a motherboard/chipset issue before the problem was actually diagnosed as a bad videocard. Had they even chalked that up to one flaky motherboard, it wouldn’t be a big deal. Instead, Kyle said it was the unstable nature of the ATI chipset. He went further in saying that it was a bad choice for gaming, and continually states on the forums it’s a “low end chipset”.

More here

*Sigh* more bad press for Hardocp. They are mixing personal opinions into what should be professional reviews.

HardOCP's is deteroiating over the years, I hope Techhead is listening ;)

Initially that was the first website I would refer for a review, now a days I hardly even open the main page and occasionaly post on their forums. Firstly I find their idea of reviewing OEM boxes a waste, no hardware enthusiast would buy them period. Also whatever happend to Brent Justice, found him to be one of the better ppl at [H].

Nowadays Techreport is my defacto website for reviews, love their write ups, and their style of reviewing.

I also read the complte article on [H] itself and was a bit surprised [H] to blame MSI mobo/Crossfire rather than the BFG card even after finding out what was wrong.

When the company in Question(Falcon) gave [H] the reasone(even after a week) and requested them to recheck the machine and then post/edit the review[H] didnt accepted the proposal. Blade pointed it out correctly that it looked quite personal rather than professional. Why make a stupid comment on a chipset when the card was at fault. Simply not done. Seems like they are after ATI cause of something personal which is totally not acceptable.

From the link which blade posted.

The Bottom Line

Falcon Northwest says that HardOCP is wrong to blame ATI’s chipset for the terrible gaming instabilities we found in the FragBox 2. We accept that and are of course addressing that here. If we have made an error, and according to Falcon Northwest we have, then we apologize for that error.

I still firmly stand by our opinions of the ATI Radeon Xpress 200 chipset. I would neither use one in my personal system, nor any system that I might build due to the stability issues I have seen with it in the past. The chipset might be fine for email and Web surfing boxes, but it is not a good solution for gamers. When I pay $3200 for a gaming computer, I simply expect to be supplied with a powerful solution and not one that even its own manufacturer doesn't consider to be high end.

We at HardOCP fully stand behind our evaluation of the FragBox 2 and its overall 6.5/10 Bottom Line Score. The FragBox 2 computer we purchased from Falcon Northwest can be easily summed up as a bad product from a great company. We have heard from 3 other FragBox 2 owners that shared the same stability issues, but, overall, the majority of FragBox 2 owners seem to be very happy customers. Just to be fully clear, Falcon Northwest is a company that we will not hesitate to refer your business to, we just have issue with the hardware configuration specified in the latest FragBox 2.

That was because of the Gfx card and the chipset. Even if the card was on NF4 chipset it would have given out the same performance. Simple fact. Why corner it.

Aces170 said:
HardOCP's is deteroiating over the years, I hope Techhead is listening ;)
Initially that was the first website I would refer for a review, now a days I hardly even open the main page and occasionaly post on their forums. Firstly I find their idea of reviewing OEM boxes a waste, no hardware enthusiast would buy them period. Also whatever happend to Brent Justice, found him to be one of the better ppl at [H].

Nowadays Techreport is my defacto website for reviews, love their write ups, and their style of reviewing.

Brent still does reviews for the [H]. He's quite active over in the forums as well.

Back