FALD or OLED

Psycho_McCrazy

Disciple
1. Budget: 1.5, but flexible if worth it
2. Viewing distance: ~ 8 to 10 ft
3. Sources/inputs such as HD DTH/consoles/stand-alone media players etc: Gaming Rig, HTPC, in-built apps for OTT, maybe an android box if required
4. Preference for plasma TV/LCD TV/LED-LCD TV./ OLED: That's the main question
5. Preference for brands.: SONY
6. Willing to purchase it from the grey market? No
7. Ambient lighting conditions of the room. Daytime and nighttime watching; no direct glare
8. Any other feature you are looking for such as 3D support on the HDTV, DLNA capabilities etc.: HDR, Game mode for reduced input lag, 2160p60 4:4:4 chroma

The key question here is that is the ~50% premium that OLED commands as similar screen sizes truly worth it?

Last edited:
The key question here is that is the ~50% premium that OLED commands as similar screen sizes truly worth it
100% yes!! My dad was gung-ho when he saw oled panel from LG and I felt sad to betray his hopes that it was more than 2.5L at that time(2018). As long as you don't intend to have static images from any format (games, channel logo, input signal etc) for very long hours(10-12 hours at a stretch for days and days)then you should be safe from burn-in. This was the main reason I decided to go for lcd based fald.
Since you mentioned your content consumption would be games, ott do see panels from LG too. Sony's panels great for movies and cinematic experience, no idea about gaming though. LG is Jack of all, forgot what Panasonic stood for. All source panels from LG and tweak them for their requirements.
If your usage is normal, pixel refresher should do the job to delay the onset of burn-in.
Don't want to scare you but From recent views and feedback, it seems that getting a good panel has sought of become a lottery these days. People with regular usage has also experienced burn-in, this was from Linus channel, reddit.

100% yes!! My dad was gung-ho when he saw oled panel from LG......
Then I guess it is time to take the missus to the Sony Store and see with our own eyes what the difference is.

As long as you don't intend to have static images from any format (games, channel logo, input signal etc) for very long hours(10-12 hours at a stretch for days and days)then you should be safe from burn-in. This was the main reason I decided to go for lcd based fald.
I think my continuous use case would be three hours at max... may not even be used daily, and for very short duration in weekdays... but I do want an excellent experience whenever it is used.

Since you mentioned your content consumption would be games, ott do see panels from LG too. Sony's panels great for movies and cinematic experience, no idea about gaming though. LG is Jack of all, forgot what Panasonic stood for. All source panels from LG and tweak them for their requirements.
SONY only, because the missus' brother works in Sony marketing, and anything else would be blasphemy!!!!
PLUS, Sony is my first choice as well... call it respect for Japan... spent close to three years there...

A word of advice.. Do ask the showroom guys to show actual content what you would watch o tv to get a good idea about how it would look and perform. Most demo videos shown on tv are to ensure they stand among the crowd with all the bells n whistles. Not the real world scenario.
And yeah, do go through their terms and conditions before with a fine eye should anything untoward happen with panel. Manufacturers are getting really stupid with their policies these days when it comes to giving replacement.
Happy shopping!!

Last edited:
A word of advice.. Do ask the showroom guys to show actual content what you would watch o tv to get a good idea about how it would look and perform. Most demo videos shown on tv are to ensure they stand among the crowd with all the bells n whistles. Not the real world scenario.
That's logical. The standard videos are too vivid and sharp in focus to accentuate the 4k resolution.
Maybe I can ask them to play some 4k UHD Blu-Ray or Netflix content...

And yeah, do go through their terms and conditions before with a fine eye should anything untoward happen with panel. Manufacturers are getting really stupid with their policies these days when it comes to giving replacement.
Happy shopping!!
Yes, need to understand the warranty, extended warranty and replacement threshold terms...

OLED it is. While the x90j too would be a huge upgrade for us from the current 32 inch Bravia KLV 32R-412B, the superior blacks, saturation and especially off angle viewing experience of the OLED makes it the winner.

I think you should stick to OLED, The contrast and the local dimming of the OLED is unmatched. HDR content is catching on, it will look amazing on an OLED.

Back