fall in broadband prices

hi yesterday while watching headlines today there was a interview with the bsnl personal they were talking about the fall in prices(that too drastic fall) didnt get the full news any idea whats it about :huh:

The TRAI slashed the leased line tariff by 70%. However, major operators like BSNL, VSNL, Reliance and Airtel are silent about when they'll pass on the benefit to customers.

So, its still nothing to jump in joy for us (the end users). We'll have to wait for announcement from service providers. :)

I too watched the interview on headlines today.

In US & UK 2Mbps is normal and here 256Kbps is just gaining pace
In some parts of US they also have 11Mbps connections.

but what i hate the most of these 256Kbps is BW limitations.

Download only 100/500/1000MB and the cost just keeps increasing for
the amount of MB downloaded.

And they say its affordable

when will they say 256Kbps Unlimited for 500-800Rs. a month.

Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) in an attempt to increase competition in the bandwidth market and promote broadband penetration has reduced the ceiling tariff for different capacities by 3 - 70 percent.

The authority has reduced ceiling tariff for 64 kbps, 128 kbps, 256 kbps by 54 percent to Rs 0.44 lakh, Rs 0.79 lakh and Rs 1.36 lakh compared to the existing market rate of Rs 0.96 lakh, Rs 1.72 lakh and Rs 2.97 lakh respectively. While the revised ceiling tariff for E1 (2 Mbps) has been cut 3 percent to Rs 8.50 lakh from the market rate of Rs 8.80 lakh.

Tariff for DS-3 (45 Mbps) has been reduced 67 per cent at Rs 62 lakh compared to the existing market rate of Rs 185 lakh while for STM-1 (155 Mbps) category, the tariff has been cut 70 percent at Rs 165 lakh from the existing market rate of Rs 554 lakh.

The revised ceiling tariff will take effect from May 1, 2005.

While rapid technological advances have sharply reduced the unit cost of bandwidth, the reduction witnessed in the leased line tariffs has not been proportionate with the reduction witnessed in the cost of providing the services.

The reduction in the tariff for leased circuits seen in the market is largely restricted to selective routes and in selective capacities. The Authority also found that a competitively priced DLC Service is necessary to achieve a higher rate of penetration of broadband in the country.

Source: [RANK="www.techtree.com/techtree/jsp/showstory.jsp?storyid=3367"]Techtree.com[/RANK]

Quad Master said:
I too watched the interview on headlines today.

In US & UK 2Mbps is normal and here 256Kbps is just gaining pace
In some parts of US they also have 11Mbps connections.

but what i hate the most of these 256Kbps is BW limitations.

Download only 100/500/1000MB and the cost just keeps increasing for
the amount of MB downloaded.

And they say its affordable

when will they say 256Kbps Unlimited for 500-800Rs. a month.
i understand your pain. i'm going through the same phase.

Shortly after the TRAI order, both Bharat Sanchar Nigam Ltd and Mahanagar Telephone Nigam Ltd said they they would study the order.BSNL on its part said the new tarrifs for the 64, 128 and 256 kbps circuits were below cost. "Initial estimates suggest that the rate cut for these segments is too drastic. We will request the regulator to take a fresh look at these tariffs as it will lead to significant losses for us. For other categories, we will reduce tariffs as they are alright", company sources said.

MTNL chairman & managing director R.S.P. Sinha said the company was studying the order. " We have taken a hit due to recent cut in access deficit charges. We will now have to assess the impact of the latest directive", he said.
It remains to be seen as to what the operatirs do, given that the TRAI is unlikely to revise its order.
On its part, the Internet Service Providers Associatin of India (ISPAI) said the move was long overdue. Association President Amitabh Singhal said .... "I am convinced at this juncture that all members of ISPAI will pass on the benefits of reduced tariffs to customers".

Source: The Hindustan Times, 22 April 2005 (HT Business) .

btw any idea when reliance is launching its broadband service...
its been in the pipeline for ages now and still nothing concrete has come up....and seeing the latest feud between the brothers hardly seems likely that anything will happen in near future too!!

Back