Graphic Cards Fan issue with Asus 4850

Grease Monk

Intertoob Ninja & Hamster Hunter Extraordinaire
Adept
I have recently installed my Asus EAH4850 TOP into my machine, and the fan doesnt always start when I boot up the system. When it doesnt, a gentle push is enough to get it going. I have installed catalyst 8.12 on vista x64, and in the overdrive section, i have set the fan to 100%. I checked the profile.xml file, and it confirms that ive set it to manual and 100%. When I use rivatuner to monitor the temps and fanspeed, however, it shows the base fan speed as 60% and increases automatically as the temps go up only to a maximum fan speed of around 80%. On load (using rthdribl) ive seen the temps go as high as 90C. And when i play something like grid or cod4 for more than 30 minutes, the comp shuts down.

Is there some problem with the way ive set up the fan speed? Or is there some connection with the fact that the fan doesnt always start on its own? I think the motor may be a little weak, and may not really be spinning as fast as it should even though the card is pumping max volts through the fan.

Starting out on load:

Stabilized on load:

Idle, catalyst overdrive and profile.xml:

The rest of my config which may prove valid:
Coolermaster eXtreme Power Plus 500W with 18A each on two +12V lines.
E8200 @stock
Biostar tp35d2-a7
4 gb gskill pi black
1 x sata hdd
1 x ide dvdrw

Any help would be appreciated.

There could be some physical obstruction to the fan, maybe some irregularity in the plastic or something of that sort. Inspect for any such obstructions. If thats not the case, get it RMA'd.

You also might wanna consider going for a third party cooler such as Arctic Accelero or Thermalright T-Rad2.

i doubt that there is any obstruction, since the fan is near silent when spinning, even at 80%, which further convinces me that the fan isnt spinning as fast as it should. Unfortunately, i cant get it rma'd since i bought it myself from the US and i have discarded the box. My backup plan is to invest in the accelero. THanks for the input.

it mostly should be a physical issue, i had the same issue with one of my 120 mm fans.. got it replaced.. worked ok after that..

Grease Monk said:
i doubt that there is any obstruction, since the fan is near silent when spinning, even at 80%, which further convinces me that the fan isnt spinning as fast as it should. Unfortunately, i cant get it rma'd since i bought it myself from the US and i have discarded the box. My backup plan is to invest in the accelero. THanks for the input.

RMA time monk. The box is NOT required for RMA, so long as you have the bill. Just send it through someone going to the US and you should be fine ;)

Oh damn. Thats sad.

Anyhow, unscrew the fan from the sink, peel off the sticker gently and apply a drop of oil to the pin-hole (anything'd do for that matter; sewing m/c oil if your granny still 0wns one; dont go buy a bottle of lube-oil for the heck of it :p). Wait for a while and reseal the hole with the sticker. Screw it to the sink, plug the 4pin connector and see if it spins when you try booting.

Else unscrew the fan. If you can hook up a decent 50-60 CFM 80mm/120mm fan with zip-ties to the sink, you can do a still better job. Sometimes a ghetto mod works!

Else if you cant wait, get the Accelero or RMA time. :eek:hyeah:

Oh and btw welcome back. :D

EDIT: Nice addition Eazy sir. :thumb:

If your PC shuts down just after 30 mins gameplay fan is not running on full blast! try the steps suggested above, if nothing works get accelero from Amarbir Rs. 1858 shipped.

Back