Far Cry AMD64 Edition - A First Look at 64-bit Gaming

Blade_Runner

Skilled
Far Cry AMD64 Edition - A First Look at 64-bit Gaming

Performance
First, we see that the difference between running the 32-bit binary in XP Professional and x64 Edition is basically nothing. Next, there's a modest performance gain seen by the Athlon 64 X2 when using the 64-bit binary - we see a boost of 4%. Note that this sort of a performance improvement isn't noticeable at all to the end user, but there is a numerical advantage.

Interestingly enough, Intel actually does a little better - showing a 6.5% increase in performance. It's tough to say exactly why Intel gets more of a performance boost here, other than assuming that for whatever reason, Intel is facing more register pressure in our particular benchmark.

We're just happy that there is any sort of performance improvement at all - but to those looking for major increases in performance by moving to 64-bits, it's less and less likely to happen.

Image Quality
Performance is only one aspect of the new Far Cry patches - the biggest impact will be visual. The visual improvements in the new patches are definitely noticeable, but not across the board.

Conclusion:
Although AMD and Ubisoft are definitely trying to provide 64-bit gamers with added value, it's honestly going to take games that depend on the benefits of a 64-bit OS to really sell the gaming population on 64-bit. For fans of Far Cry, there's no reason not to try the new patches, but we wouldn't expect a mass exodus to x64 Edition because of the content that's been enabled here.

AMD's goals are quite admirable, but the fact of the matter is that none of the visual improvements enabled by the Far Cry patches had anything to do with AMD64 or EM64T. They are artificially limited to run on those platforms alone, but could work just as well on a 32-bit platform.

[RANK="www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2411&p=3"]Source[/RANK]

Considering the fact that to get any benefit from the 64 bit edition of Far Cry the Windows XP x64 OS is required, not many users will be queueing up for the download.

And if there are no great advantages apart from seeing more birds and insects (were there any insects in the original Far Cry? I dont seem to remember any), I for one will not be too interested. I had registered at the site and received an email from them urging me to download the same immediately. I will wait until Digit or someone puts it on their CD/DVD with the mag. If it doesn't come, I am not shedding any tears.

Edit: With a download size of over 1.5GB, only those with fast and unlimited connections would be even interested!

Well as the article itself says ......only the water nd stone textures look better....but nuthin to do with 64-bit:bleh:.....but worth a try....cuz looks better.
STILL no performance improvement.....
me too on a DIAL-Up :rofl:

@jai ...there's a 450mb download at AMD's main site.
Check it out.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that there are a couple of important points being overlooked.

The tests were run on windows 64 bit which is still immature and hence the drivers are not yet giving optimal performance. Inspite of this the game was faster by 4%. In a few months time when there are good drivers im sure the perf diff will be close to 10% which will be a significant jump over the 32 bit intels.

Also this game has been codedwith 32 bit in mind and has been converted to 64 with a patch. Id like to see how the perf is with a game designed with 64 bit in mind.

Also note that the perf gain comes despite improved IQ.

LOL.Bad attempt at a 64-bit game.All this thing requires is 6600gt and above not 64-bit processing.They have locked it for 32-bit users thats all.Hardly good engg. practice.
PS:Wanted to post this last night but TE was down again.

Back