Linux Fedora 13 -- is it unlucky 13?

zubin4

Disciple
Guys,

I always wanted a Linux running on my PC...finally took some time out and installed FEDORA 13(AMD64) version.

All is well except a few things...

1. Audio is choppy, no matter which player....did all the reasearcha dn development with Pulse audio, xmms, vlc etc

2. Video playback is the same....mkv files @ 720 and 1080p have pathetic AV sync and is sync is proper then choppy audio and video jerks...

3. The load time has increased from 15 secs to 3 mins...and it autoloads all my harddrives as well...
The auto mounts i guess increasing my load times...

My config for people to help me:
AMD Phenom x2 955
4 GB Corsair
Gigabyte 785G motherboard audio & ATI 4200 onboard.

please help...

Can you try 32bit edition with PAE kernel support ?

Multimedia support in 32bit edition will be better, I presume. PAE option will take care of extra RAM.

Let me share my very pleasant experience with Fedora 13 - in my office I am the only person using Fedora 13, all else with Ubuntu. Recently, Seagate Rock NAS crashed with bad sector is boot partition. They tried to rev it up on MS Windows, Ubuntu and all. It worked and loaded all raid partitions only in Fedora 13 and for first time, I felt happy about my distro selection.

HMMMM....the 32bit might not work properly with a 64bit CPU...and how do I obtain this PAE version?

wats the difference between a 32bit and a 64bit Linux system? Any major differences?

Hi,

As far as I know, 32bit OS will work perfectly fine with 64bit CPU. What issues you forsee ?

PAE kernel is installed default in my desktop without even specifying it. You can also use RPM tool to install latest kernel.

Install Guide: The Perfect Desktop - Fedora 13 i686 (GNOME)

The Perfect Desktop - Fedora 13 i686 (GNOME) | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials

the page 4 describes installation of Win32 codecs too.

The above guide must be used with care considering your custom environment, like Other OS, partitioning, etc.

Also worth reading: Forbidden items - FedoraProject

Where are you located ?

Gigabyte 785G motherboard audio & ATI 4200 onboard.

The problem link .

HMMMM....the 32bit might not work properly with a 64bit CPU...and how do I obtain this PAE version?

Who said that ? All X86/64 processors are backward compatible to 32bit i686 or older instructions. So all 32bit OS will work perfectly.

Back