FHD or UHD - 1 lac INR

Hi Fellas !

After breaking my head for last 2 years with Samsung plasma E550 51 inch, have finally decided to buy a new LED.

I am wondering whether to go for full HD or 4k. The micromax offer is irresrible but the reviews are not that great specially when it come to 4k content. Most of my movies are 22gb+ prints. Hence content is not a challenge.

Other requirements are as below -

1. Screen size - 50+
2. Type - FHD or UHD
3. Distance - 8 feet
4. Brand - will avoid Samsung
5. Budget - Around 1 lac (can be strechted)
6. Warranty - prefer 3 years
7. Content - Mainly ISO files through media player
8. 3D - don't mind 3D feature

P.s. - I purchased Samsung plasma in the year 2012, which went kaput after 15 months. Have been struggling to get it repaired since then, but with no luck. Hence avoiding Samsung and looking for additional warranty.

Thank you again !

OT - That sounds scary considering I have a 51" Samsung Plasma as well. Time to get some insurance or something considering warranty will be over in August. I did get 2 yrs of warranty though.
Personally I wouldn't buy an LED over Plasma but that's because I like watching Sports on it.

OT - That sounds scary considering I have a 51" Samsung Plasma as well. Time to get some insurance or something considering warranty will be over in August. I did get 2 yrs of warranty though.
Personally I wouldn't buy an LED over Plasma but that's because I like watching Sports on it.

Yes, I would strong recommend that. Specially what I have gone through. It was a nightmare for me. From consumer court to service centre. In the end the service guy himself suggested not to repair it becuase he said it would end up in same situation after an year or so. Frankly, I will never recommend Samsung plasma to anyone. Hence avoiding Samsung LED also.

Peace

My friend had a similar requirements and budget to upgrade his 40' lcd TV which he used for watching mainly Blu-ray discs.

LG 55" 2014 top Model FHD, around 1L (after lot of bargaining @ reliance digital) is what we finalized. We checked almost all available Models 3 months ago, LG was best followed closely by Sony.

4K content and TVs aren't completely mainstream as of now. By the time they become mainstream it'll be time for the next upgrade.

I'd strongly recommend to increase the budget and get LG OLED TV if that's possibility.

Else buy a VU 55" @ 45k on Flipkart ; and save the money for future upgrade. It's a better TV than Micromax anyday if 3D, Smart TV & 4K isn't a priority. VU TVs are very good considering the price point.

If 8ft is a watching distance and less than 3hrs per day usage that too for Blu-rays and Media Player usage go for a DLP projector if that suits you.
BTW
After much discussions and multiple auditions , finally we bought a projector BenQ W1070 + @ 90k. Now we have more than 110" size picture with a movie experience unmatched by any large TV.

My friend had a similar requirements and budget to upgrade his 40' lcd TV which he used for watching mainly Blu-ray discs.

LG 55" 2014 top Model FHD, around 1L (after lot of bargaining @ reliance digital) is what we finalized. We checked almost all available Models 3 months ago, LG was best followed closely by Sony.

4K content and TVs aren't completely mainstream as of now. By the time they become mainstream it'll be time for the next upgrade.

I'd strongly recommend to increase the budget and get LG OLED TV if that's possibility.

Else buy a VU 55" @ 45k on Flipkart ; and save the money for future upgrade. It's a better TV than Micromax anyday if 3D, Smart TV & 4K isn't a priority. VU TVs are very good considering the price point.

If 8ft is a watching distance and less than 3hrs per day usage that too for Blu-rays and Media Player usage go for a DLP projector if that suits you.
BTW
After much discussions and multiple auditions , finally we bought a projector BenQ W1070 + @ 90k. Now we have more than 110" size picture with a movie experience unmatched by any large TV.

1st of all thank you for the inputs. Now coming to what should I buy. Obviously projector will give big screen, but ain't there issues like dull screen, limited life of bulb, requirement of a dark room etc. What are your thoughts on this ?

I can evaluate buying this from USA also. I am sure it will even cheap there.

Now coming back to LED, so the options are

1. LG FHD top model around 1 lac.
2. LG OLED - how much does this cost and what's the benefit. Is it better than UHD, what's the resolution here ?
3. VU 55" model sub 50k to save cost and get decent quality. Can you specify the model number. I read a 4k model is also there from VU, should I consider that ?

Thanks again !

http://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronic...p/B00UA8GO3Y/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8

Above full HD model is less then 1000$ on amazon, these LED projector are said to have 30000 hours of life, that would mean almost 20 years with a few hours of daily uses. So lamp life is not as issue with these. But obviously they were not that good 2 years back when I checked a few of the models. not sure of latest development. But I would certainly like to buy a projector like that, when my room allows that. may be you can do some research on these LED projectors. Basically these projectors have better contrast/colour, but less brightness, that means room lighting has to be fairly dim.

But I don't think you will get the same picture quality and brightness in a projector as compared to an oled tv.. Can anyone who owns an projector setup please post some pics so that it might help others..
Also wat about the heat and noise from the projector?

http://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronic...p/B00UA8GO3Y/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8

Above full HD model is less then 1000$ on amazon, these LED projector are said to have 30000 hours of life, that would mean almost 20 years with a few hours of daily uses. So lamp life is not as issue with these. But obviously they were not that good 2 years back when I checked a few of the models. not sure of latest development. But I would certainly like to buy a projector like that, when my room allows that. may be you can do some research on these LED projectors. Basically these projectors have better contrast/colour, but less brightness, that means room lighting has to be fairly dim.

You are right, last couple of years these projectors have improved performance and fallen within budget. However, they need ideal conditions to work. Like no light source, clear big wall etc. Again, its not an easy decision to buy projector over LED as still many people don't opt for it despite the big screen size.

But I don't think you will get the same picture quality and brightness in a projector as compared to an oled tv.. Can anyone who owns an projector setup please post some pics so that it might help others..
Also wat about the heat and noise from the projector?

Good point, even I think that projector will give big screen, but the picture quality will be infirior. Maybe someone who has hands on experience can shed some light here. Afterall seeing is believing..

To summarize, I am still confused on what to buy !

@OP
I may be wrong but I don't think a 50" UHD panel is really worth it if you have normal vision and you're going to be viewing it from 8 feet away.

I think 5-6.5 feet is the optimal view distance for a 50" UHD panel. Beyond that you get steadily diminishing returns vis-a-vis UHD vs Full HD.

Keeping your view distance of 8 feet & budget in mind, I would personally advise a 55" FHD LED instead...

Last edited:
1st of all thank you for the inputs. Now coming to what should I buy. Obviously projector will give big screen, but ain't there issues like dull screen, limited life of bulb, requirement of a dark room etc. What are your thoughts on this ?

I can evaluate buying this from USA also. I am sure it will even cheap there.

Now coming back to LED, so the options are

1. LG FHD top model around 1 lac.
2. LG OLED - how much does this cost and what's the benefit. Is it better than UHD, what's the resolution here ?
3. VU 55" model sub 50k to save cost and get decent quality. Can you specify the model number. I read a 4k model is also there from VU, should I consider that ?

Thanks again !

Vu 55k160gu around 47k
With bank offers it should be below 45k...

I have not seen 4k model personally, reviews and opinions favor it though.
Priced steeply, not a VFM compared to HD model.
HD should be sufficient for your requirements. See attachments.

uploadfromtaptalk1437131561041.jpg

You are right, last couple of years these projectors have improved performance and fallen within budget. However, they need ideal conditions to work. Like no light source, clear big wall etc. Again, its not an easy decision to buy projector over LED as still many people don't opt for it despite the big screen size.

Good point, even I think that projector will give big screen, but the picture quality will be infirior. Maybe someone who has hands on experience can shed some light here. Afterall seeing is believing..

To summarize, I am still confused on what to buy !

I had all these doubts before seeing W1070 benq in action ..
It's amazing picture quality for any projector in the price range. it is a huge screen so some perceive it as inferior quality, but it is unfair comparison. imagine stretching your 55'' TV to 110'' will the quality be same ?

Usage say 1000hr per year also, (translates to 3hrs per day roughly), lamps last for 4yrs. usually the cost of lamp is between 5 -12 k depending upon the model. that is Ok I guess.

Yes brightness and clear wall availability is something you should look for yourself. Generally all projectors are Not suitable for day viewing with open windows. With Windows shades it's not at all a problem. Buy optoma HD 26 if daylight viewing is important, or Gaming as it has amazing brightness & responsiveness.

If you're watching Cricket or Football game then it'll blow any TV on viewing. Check big TV vs projector on Google.

In the end projector isn't common as TV so you'll end up with more parties with friends.

I get time in the night and hardly watch TV so it suits my requirements. So check your requirements again and decide.

Oled tvs are bit more costly, but have insane contrast ratio, if you want future proofing get them.

Last edited:

It has a brightness of 1400 , effective will be around 700 Lumens. Get something with atleast 2000 Lumens. it has a pretty good Contrast ratios though, has lot of tweakable features,
May Not be a very good option other than Lamp Life. Yes seeing the quality in person is very important & it is very subjective as far as the Projectors are considered.

http://www.amazon.com/Optoma-HD141X...&qid=1437133479&sr=1-1&keywords=optoma+hd141x
this is most VFM, ships to india too, around 53 k !!

there are Lot many options, also forgot to mention you should invest in a good surround sound, else the tiny sound with big screen will ruin your experience in no time.

Last edited:
@OP
I may be wrong but I don't think a 50" UHD panel is really worth it if you have normal vision and you're going to be viewing it from 8 feet away.

I think 5-6.5 feet is the optimal view distance for a 50" UHD panel. Beyond that you get steadily diminishing returns vis-a-vis UHD vs Full HD.
Vu 55k160gu around 47k

View attachment 58554

It's amazing picture quality for any projector in the price range. it is a huge screen so some perceive it as inferior quality, but it is unfair comparison. imagine stretching your 55'' TV to 110'' will the quality be same ?

Usage say 1000hr per year also, (translates to 3hrs per day roughly), lamps last for 4yrs. usually the cost of lamp is between 5 -12 k depending upon the model. that is Ok I guess.

Yes brightness and clear wall availability is something you should look for yourself. Generally all projectors are Not suitable for day viewing with open windows. With Windows shades it's not at all a problem. Buy optoma HD 26 if daylight viewing is important, or Gaming as it has amazing brightness & responsiveness.

If you're watching Cricket or Football game then it'll blow any TV on viewing. Check big TV vs projector on Google.

In the end projector isn't common as TV so you'll end up with more parties with friends.

I get time in the night and hardly watch TV so it suits my requirements. So check your requirements again and decide.

Oled tvs are bit more costly, but have insane contrast ratio, if you want future proofing get them.

Well the lens seems not be a problem. 3-4 years is decent. And the cost that you mentioned is pretty fine. The major use of this will be for watching the 30-40 gb ISO prints along with Videocon DTH in FHD mode.

It has a brightness of 1400 , effective will be around 700 Lumens. Get something with atleast 2000 Lumens. it has a pretty good Contrast ratios though, has lot of tweakable features,
May Not be a very good option other than Lamp Life. Yes seeing the quality in person is very important & it is very subjective as far as the Projectors are considered.

http://www.amazon.com/Optoma-HD141X...&qid=1437133479&sr=1-1&keywords=optoma+hd141x

there are Lot many options, also forgot to mention you should invest in a good surround sound, else the tiny sound with big screen will ruin your experience in no time.

Yes, seeing one in action is very important. And I have an onkyo htib, so sound is managed. Let me check the available projectors also as mainly the viewing will be at night.

Keeping your view distance of 8 feet & budget in mind, I would personally advise a 55" FHD LED instead...

Seems fair. My intention was to buy something future proof. But again, I believe by the time UHD becomes mainstream, a lot of better options will be there.

I am getting inclined towards the VU 55" model which is sub 50k. Any thoughts on that ?

To summarize, I think I should narrow down to 2 options -

1. VU 55" which sub 50k and manage with it for couple of years as its quality is almost at par with the likes of Sony and LG (read this in reviews on flipkart)

2. A FHD project - The question is which one to buy and from where. It will be cheap from USA, but warranty will be an issue. Any thoughts and suggestions here ? Links will help.

Thanks again mates !

Peace

@OP

Vu 55k160gu around 47k

View attachment 58554

Well the lens seems not be a problem. 3-4 years is decent. And the cost that you mentioned is pretty fine. The major use of this will be for watching the 30-40 gb ISO prints along with Videocon DTH in FHD mode.

Yes, seeing one in action is very important. And I have an onkyo htib, so sound is managed. Let me check the available projectors also as mainly the viewing will be at night.

Actually full hd led only make sense below 50 inch size only. And I am telling you from personal experience. The size of the pixels or the distance between them start to widen and although you won't look at it from up close. It doesnt look smooth.
We are now used to ultra smooth photograph kind of displays due to the smartphone that we use.

I have had the chance to compare above 50" UHD vs FHD. And beleive me the picture really looks smooth like a photograph even from close ranges on those above 50" panels. Which also kind of makes them future proof in my eyes.

I prefer sony over any other brand. Yes they are costly. But the picture quality on those is unbeatable by the likes of samsung, lg etc.

Finally, I would recommend that if you are looking at a less than 50" led then consider a FHD. And if you are considering a bigger option then consider a UHD LED. As FHD don't do justice above 50".

But again, I believe by the time UHD becomes mainstream, a lot of better options will be there.

Well they certainly will be CHEAPER options available by then if nothing else. :)

I am getting inclined towards the VU 55" model which is sub 50k. Any thoughts on that ?

Its reportedly a good set and you wont find anything of comparable quality & specs for that budget. It has one alleged drawback though - Service support is very poor/non-existent.

As for getting it from abroad - I wouldn't advise it. Its just not worth the headache.

FK has an exchange offer on the Vu 55K160GAU currently provided you have an old set to exchange - even a non-working set. Discount value varies depending on the type of set you return and its existing condition -

http://www.flipkart.com/vu-55k160ga...206&srno=p_1&query=vu+55&otracker=from-search

FK (WS Retail is the seller for this set) will also give you a "30 day replacement policy" which should prove quite helpful should you require it.

If the set works fine for 30 days, you are pretty much OK IMO.

Just make sure you use a decent stabilizer with the TV...

Actually full hd led only make sense below 50 inch size only. And I am telling you from personal experience. The size of the pixels or the distance between them start to widen and although you won't look at it from up close. It doesnt look smooth.
We are now used to ultra smooth photograph kind of displays due to the smartphone that we use.

I have had the chance to compare above 50" UHD vs FHD. And beleive me the picture really looks smooth like a photograph even from close ranges on those above 50" panels. Which also kind of makes them future proof in my eyes.

I prefer sony over any other brand. Yes they are costly. But the picture quality on those is unbeatable by the likes of samsung, lg etc.

Finally, I would recommend that if you are looking at a less than 50" led then consider a FHD. And if you are considering a bigger option then consider a UHD LED. As FHD don't do justice above 50".

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion of course but I would suggest the OP go through the following link and take his own call -

http://referencehometheater.com/2013/commentary/4k-calculator/

Move towards the bottom of the page where it says "4k Calculator.

Find "Screen Size (Inches)" and enter the screen size you desire (55" in the current case) in the box provided.

Next, select your desired view distance in the "Screen Distance" drop down menu. Select 8 here for your current distance. If you know your exact vision measurements, enter that as well.

Then hit "update data".

When a person views a 55" panel from 8 feet away (just like the OP's case) you will see a 1% improvement between a FHD panel and a 4K panel. I honestly doubt you can even tell any difference. I certainly couldn't. If you compare the prices of both, its no contest really - FHD is better VFM hands down.

Add to this the fact that there is very little 4k content out there ATM.

Whats worse is that watching SD (including DVD's) content on 4k sets is absolutely HORRIBLE IMO. It looks far better on a FHD panel as less content "stretching" is required as compared to 4k res.

Funnily enough, I have myself been searching for a FHD 55" for a while now. My view distance is also around 8 feet, just like the OP.

When one visits stores, one tends to stand "close" to the TV's on display as showrooms tend to be somewhat cramped.

At close range, of course a 4k will own FHD - that's what it excels at.

Also keep in mind that many showrooms tend to have sets running at "custom" settings.

Its very easy to make one set look better than another just by fiddling with some settings. Therefore its always advisable to ask the person showing you around to "reset" the panels you are interested in to "factory default settings" before you start comparing sets...

Last edited:

While I agree with you that PQ on Sony is undoubtedly the best. Buy again, it comes for a price. As few fellow members here mentioned that UHD is still at beginning stage and decent FHD screen will do justice to ISO prints which I have.

Well they certainly will be CHEAPER options available by then if nothing else. :)

Its reportedly a good set and you wont find anything of comparable quality & specs for that budget. It has one alleged drawback though - Service support is very poor/non-existent.

As for getting it from abroad - I wouldn't advise it. Its just not worth the headache.

FK has an exchange offer on the Vu 55K160GAU currently provided you have an old set to exchange - even a non-working set. Discount value varies depending on the type of set you return and its existing condition -

http://www.flipkart.com/vu-55k160gau-140-cm-55-led-tv/p/itme47yajt47sapd?pid=TVSE47Y8TKCW7NYQ&ref=L:3702849036514512206&srno=p_1&query=vu+55&otracker=from-search

FK (WS Retail is the seller for this set) will also give you a "30 day replacement policy" which should prove quite helpful should you require it.

If the set works fine for 30 days, you are pretty much OK IMO.

Just make sure you use a decent stabilizer with the TV...

I was referring to buying the projector from USA. As I am sure a huge price difference will be there. Though would need to consider the warranty part. Coming to the option of VU, will try to take a demo tomorrow locally. I am in Udaipur currently, lets see if I find one here. On the support part, I would love to have extended support if that's possible specially after what Samsung did to me.

Again, narrowed down to VU 55 versus Projector. Need to decide by tomorrow.

You -CAN- get extended support for the Vu.

I recall reading a post somewhere (maybe on TE itself?) where you can buy additional warrant for 5k (or something similar) for another year. Its called "Extended Warranty Service- VU Q Care Plan". See the bottom right of this page -

http://vutvs.com/index.php?id_cms=15&controller=cms

What concerns me is that its irrelevant whether a product has 1 year, 2 years or even 5 year warranty if the service personnel don't bother to show up when things go wrong.

Here's a link for their authorized sellers. See if one is close to you -

http://vutvs.com/store-locator/store.php

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion of course but I would suggest the OP go through the following link and take his own call -

http://referencehometheater.com/2013/commentary/4k-calculator/

Move towards the bottom of the page where it says "4k Calculator.

Find "Screen Size (Inches)" and enter the screen size you desire (55" in the current case) in the box provided.

Next, select your desired view distance in the "Screen Distance" drop down menu. If you know your exact vision measurements, enter that as well.

Then hit "update data".

When a person views a 55" panel from 8 feet away (just like the OP's case) you will see a 1% improvement between a FHD panel and a 4K panel. At 8 feet however, I don't think you can tell any difference. I certainly couldn't. If you compare the prices of both, its no contest really - FHD is better VFM hands down.

Add to this the fact that there is very little 4k content out there ATM.

Whats worse is that watching SD (including DVD's) content on 4k sets is absolutely HORRIBLE IMO. It looks far better on a FHD panel as less content "stretching" is required as compared to 4k res.

Funnily enough, I have myself been searching for a FHD 55" for a while now. My view distance is also around 8 feet, just like the OP.

When one visits stores, one tends to stand "close" to the TV's on display as showrooms tend to be somewhat cramped.

At close range, of course a 4k will own FHD - that's what it excels at.

Also keep in mind that many showrooms tend to have sets running at "custom" settings.

Its very easy to make one set look better than another just by fiddling with some settings. Therefore its always advisable to ask the person showing you around to "reset" the panels you are interested in to "factory default settings" before you start comparing sets...

Thanks for the link. So what model have you finalized on ? And are you evaluating to buy a projector also ? I am getting inclined towards projector because of the big 110" screen size, and the reviews also are good.

You -CAN- get extended support for the Vu.

I recall reading a post somewhere (maybe on TE itself?) where you can buy additional warrant for 5k (or something similar) for another year. Its called "Extended Warranty Service- VU Q Care Plan". See the bottom right of this page -

http://vutvs.com/index.php?id_cms=15&controller=cms

What concerns me is that its irrelevant whether a product has 1 year, 2 years or even 5 year warranty if the service personnel don't bother to show up when things go wrong.

Here's a link for their authorized sellers. See if one is close to you -

http://vutvs.com/store-locator/store.php

Well that's the problem with less established brands. And moreover there is no dealer in Udaipur. Hence need to double check on support part as well. Though FK is delivering in 10 days to Udaipur. Wanted to check it PQ in person before deciding between VU or projector.

Thanks for the link. So what model have you finalized on ? And are you evaluating to buy a projector also ? I am getting inclined towards projector because of the big 110" screen size, and the reviews also are good.

I had zeroed in on a Sony W950B but the price was very high in comparison to the competition and that put me off it.

IMO, when it comes to FHD sets in India, Samsung and LG offer far better VFM.

As for a projector - I have never been a fan although several of my friends own one including projectors that cost Rs.4 lakhs plus.

Good quality projectors are fantastic for watching movies but I found that I tend to develop eye strain watching a projector for several hours at a time. Never seem to have that problem with a TV...

Last edited:
Back