FiiO E7 USB headphone Amplifier/DAC Review

FiiO E7 USB headphone Amplifier/DAC Review(pics updated)

Introduction.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

After owning a Fiio E3 a long time back, I felt there is so much more to an Headphone Amp, than plugging it directly to the sound card. Then later with the FiiO E5, i felt, this is just awesome for 1k grands, and seems to have lot less distortion than the E3, and a Li-ion battery is a wonderful feature, whereas most other AMms needs 9v batteries to run.

Here I will be using JVC HA RX-900 and Philips SHP-8900 headphones for the review. In IEM segment, I will be using SOundmagic PL-11, PL-21 for the review. Will later update the review with more headphones/IEMs I could procure. ;)

And as a sound source, ie DAC, I will be comparing the E7 with Hot Audio Mark IV on its buffered headphone out and unbuffered Line-Out, Auzentech HDA Explosion 7.1 modded with S4580P Op-amps. The PMPs used will be Sansa Clip+ and Tsonic MP 860.

As an amplifier, I will be comparing it with FiiO E5, Mark IV's buffered output, HDA Explosion's built-in +12 dB gain mode.

p10603101.jpg

Specs

These are the specifications from the FiiO website:

●Output Power:

150mW (16Ω); 16mW (300Ω)

●Headphone Impedance Range:

16 Ω ~ 300 Ω

●Signal to Noise Ratio:

≥95dB (A weighted) on line-in;

≥100dB (A weighted) on USB-in

●Distortion:

<0.009% (10mW)on line-in;

<0.008% (10mW) on USB-in

●Frequency Range:

10Hz ~ 1000KHz

●Power Supply:

Internal 1050mAH rechargeable Li-ion battery

●Recharging:

USB 5V DC 400mA

●Size: 96mm x 55mm x 15.5mm

●Weight: 100g

Packaging and Accesories

The Box contains the following stuffs

*FiiO E7

*3.5mm interconnect cable 10cm

*Silicon Band for coupling the Amp with a PMP

*USB Cable (ferrite Core)

*Dual Layer Soft Pouch Black

*Manual

Pics

p10603121.jpg

p10603141.jpg

p10603151.jpg

Build And Design

One thing you will quick notice after holding the DAC/AMP in hands is that its build solid. All the sides except the front is covered with machined metal with Black paint. Unlike most budget DAC, which uses plastic boxes, this one deserves a standout among a sub 100$ DAC for its build. The front face is covered by a large glass like material with a small SIM card sized OLED display, which shows Bass Boost levels, VOL, sleep timer, USB Charge On/OFF, and much more. There are four buttons on the left side which too are metal in construction.

p10603191.jpg

p10603201.jpg

p10603211.jpg

p10603221.jpg

p10603231.jpg

The OLED Screen

p10603261.jpg

Actual size comparison with SE K790i phone and E7 with Silicon cover

p10603291.jpg

The Silicon cover is well layed and accurate

p10603331.jpg

This is how the screen looks in dark

p10603371.jpg

The machined/textured underneath of the E7

p10603411.jpg

E7 can be used as a mirror too :D

p10603491.jpg

Features

The FiiO E7 spots a WM8740 : High performance stereo DAC in its core, and a PCM2706 as USB interface chip. It can be used as a sound card replacement for headphone, and maybe for stereo speaker setups or a 2.1 speaker, but is intended for use with headphones. It also works as an headphone Amplifier with Aux-in port and dual output 3.5mm jacks for headphones. One intesting feature in its menu is the max volume level, which can be set anywhere between 10 and 60. It prevents damaging any low impedance IEM/headphones if accidently pumped up the volume, by friends of yours, or anyone who isnt well informed about the Amp thing :)

Also FiiO claims an 80 Hr battery backup. WOW. This is amazing, and could last more than a week, or even two on a single charging.

Performance

Gaming: The first thing I noticed on initial usage is it sounds really awesome:D. MY SHP 8900 never sounded this good, and it was like I could almost pin point every sound sources in Battlefield Bad Company 2. With the RX-900, the sound was very rich, and bass boost set to level-1 made the explosions real-like. The detailing was better than the Mark IV's line out and FiiO E5 connected to it. I though it might be the E5 who is the culprit, and plugged the headphones directly to Mark IV, and to my surprise, it was even worse, than the line out+ E5. SO the E7 is a clear winner here.

Movies: I fired up some HD 1080 rips with good SQ, and E7 didnt fail to surprise. The SHP 8900 was delivering exceptional details, with the Movie Gamer, I am legend and Transformers I. The Sound stage too was really great, much better than HDA Xplosion and Mark IV. With bass boost level-1, there was added bass, with no detereoration in mids, and highs and was more pleasant. But as its raised to level-2, we can notice the bass slighty drowning the detail, and level-3 is only for bas heads and not at all recommended for movies. The JVC RX 900 being bit bass oriented, was like pumping heavy bass into ears (but without distortions) drowning most of the detailing on level 2 and 3.

Music: This is the most important part about a DAC/AMP and E7 really shines in this segment too. Music felt very much refined when using it as USB DAC, and each Bass boost levels was like tweaking an equlizer for more bass, but the distortion was very less than using extreme high values in an equalizer on a MP. Ive also heard, the DAC section of E7 is really great, and its very much true. It beats Mark IV's line out and HDA explosion with ease.I feel the E7 has a real neutral and balanced sound with a nice touch in sound stage, with 3 levels of bass boost to satisfy varying levels of listeners and bassheads (level-3) :D. The sound stage is amazing with even my budget range headphones. It might do wonders with a better headphone like AD-700 or any other sub 300 Ohm HP.

The Amp section is good, but nothing great. Its ofcourse better than an E5, and you need to use a hard to drive headphone with good detailing to spot the difference, and with that, the difference is good enough to be called superior to E5 :). One thing i noticed is that, it has a hard time driving two high impedance headphones at once. Whenever i connect my RX 900 and 8900 on both headphone outs, the Philips ones's volume is cut by half, but not much change in RX 900's level. Tried swapping the ports, but still no use. And the Amp section is miles ahead of the Mark'Iv buffered output stage:). With PMP, the Amp wasnt enough to deliver proper power for two headphone, to even acceptable volume levels, but was more than enough for a single headphone.

The E7 sound nice on IEMs, much better than straight out of the PMP. But a portable amp of this size is not a good idea, but if you can live with the size, then you wont be dissapointed with the sound for a sub 4k Amp. And at heard, its also a HQ DAC its an added advantage, especially for frequent PC users. But for pure amp purpose, there might be better choice for same or lesser price.

Conclusion

I believe FiiO has come up with another winner. Winner in DAC performance as well as a DAC+AMP in a price tag of 4k. As its a neutral sounding, one can always tweak the sound to his liking using EQ on PMP, MP, or even add some warm boost in lows by bass boost function. There is absolutely no hissing with any of the headphones, or IEMs like even the PL-11. I dont have any lower impedance IEM with higher sensitivity to test further.

Pros:

Good DAC Performance.

80 hr battery backup.

good buid quality.

drives a single high impedance headphone with ease, upto 300 Ohm.

Price :)

Cons:

Hard time driving two high Impedance headphones at once.

No Line-Out without AMPing.

bass boost level change takes a sec to apply, and the volume sinks for a sec.

Pardon any mistakes, as this is my first review here :) and im not an audiophile, and has just stepped into the world of Audio stuffs ;)

Nice concise review dude ! I was looking for a little more details about the experience with the JVC RX900 since if I buy this thing, I'll be using it with my RX900.

You said the bass is overwhelming with the JVCs and the other details are drowned. Not a good thing to hear, it seems.

Vasishta.Sushant said:
Nice concise review dude ! I was looking for a little more details about the experience with the JVC RX900 since if I buy this thing, I'll be using it with my RX900.

You said the bass is overwhelming with the JVCs and the other details are drowned. Not a good thing to hear, it seems.
Thnx guys :)

Its the fact that the RX-900 is bit bassy, not overwhelming though. So, if you turn up bass boost to 2 or 3, it will drown the higher mids and highs, especially in movies and games. And btw, its was so much fun to listen to music on it, as I love bit of bass in music, not a bass head though. :)

The RX-900 felt more detailed than before, but still in detailing, it isnt close to SHP8900, which kinda lacks bass but sounds more natural.

So...This or uDAC icon?

Read this review from an Amazon customer...

The fiio E7 is very similar in function to the udac.
It adds, flexibility, by adding a battery for use as a portable amp for a dap. It also adds, 4 levels of bass 0-3
It's not so much of a big bloat or anything, it's actualy useful, but for the most part 0 -2 is useful, 3 being a bit much for most iems or portable cans. The gain is not as high as on the udac, so it won't play hard to drive cans quite as loud as the udac. But the added features, and the flexibility make it a much better value.

I prefer The fiio E7 in pretty much all aspects, it comes with a very nice pouch, sounds better, and really looks better than the udac. I still like the udac, but the fiio E7 just gives you more for the money. This amp is truly a step up from the little E5 by a fair bit. It is very hard to believe this unit can be purchased for well under 100 dollars.

The udac set a new standard at this price level, and the fiio E7 raised the bar

I think the uDAC icon is more expensive, even than the uDAC. And as uDAC isnt officially available, and will cost about ~6k from KMD or GEB, its not worth over the E7. As per many reviews, the output of uDAC is more powerful. If you have a very hard to drive HP, like HD 600 or above, then uDAC makes more sense which have better chance of driving it at higher volumes.

I find the E7 SQ really great, but havnt used uDAC, but according to many reviews Ive read, its better than uDAC, whereas uDAC just adds some extra treble which makes it think is more detailed but a in depth listening makes it clear that E7 is actually more detailed.

Heres a list of other reviews of E7, and the first one is a 1vs1 with uDAC.

http://www.headfonia.com/?p=4811&page=3

But as of now, the E7 is officially available with one person :) guess who? Amarbir;)

Guys.. i use iMac and i have MX5021E, i'm looking for a sound enhancement (from quite some time i'm thinking of buying an usb sound card). Is E7 right choice for an upgrade? Or are these just Headphone amplifiers.

I ve tried it with my X230, and the sound improvement was noticeable over my Auzentech HDA Xplosion Sound Card, which is said to be good in SQ. If you never gonna go for a 5.1 system, then DAC seems better for the purpose, and is portable too.

Nice review dude ! :)

Actually IMO the udac is an overhyped product. Thats why I sold it. Its got an slighty forward treble to give the impression that it has more resolving power and its got a lower mid range hump to give the impression that it gives more bass. At first listen a person can go 'woah' this is some awesome s**t. But after using the udac for many days I realised its flaws and chose my more neutral Audio-GD Compass DAC.

BF1983 said:
Nice review dude ! :)

Actually IMO the udac is an overhyped product. Thats why I sold it. Its got an slighty forward treble to give the impression that it has more resolving power and its got a lower mid range hump to give the impression that it gives more bass. At first listen a person can go 'woah' this is some awesome s**t. But after using the udac for many days I realised its flaws and chose my more neutral Audio-GD Compass DAC.
Hmmmm, no wonder they made the RE-0s sound even more amazing.

Nice review dominator! And congrats for your new audio gear! :D

Wish I had some cash. I would have loved to make a GrubDAC paired with mini3 to see how it would fare with E7 and uDAC.

Earlier, I got the udac confused with the icon. So E7 is definite winner over the uDAC. Is there any other option for an Indian customer for the same price?

Lets just hope that E7 reaches more (convenient)dealers fast :D

Back