FiiO E7 USB headphone Amplifier/DAC Review

FiiO E7 USB headphone Amplifier/DAC Review(pics updated)

Introduction.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

After owning a Fiio E3 a long time back, I felt there is so much more to an Headphone Amp, than plugging it directly to the sound card. Then later with the FiiO E5, i felt, this is just awesome for 1k grands, and seems to have lot less distortion than the E3, and a Li-ion battery is a wonderful feature, whereas most other AMms needs 9v batteries to run.

Here I will be using JVC HA RX-900 and Philips SHP-8900 headphones for the review. In IEM segment, I will be using SOundmagic PL-11, PL-21 for the review. Will later update the review with more headphones/IEMs I could procure. ;)

And as a sound source, ie DAC, I will be comparing the E7 with Hot Audio Mark IV on its buffered headphone out and unbuffered Line-Out, Auzentech HDA Explosion 7.1 modded with S4580P Op-amps. The PMPs used will be Sansa Clip+ and Tsonic MP 860.

As an amplifier, I will be comparing it with FiiO E5, Mark IV's buffered output, HDA Explosion's built-in +12 dB gain mode.

p10603101.jpg

Specs

These are the specifications from the FiiO website:

●Output Power:

150mW (16Ω); 16mW (300Ω)

●Headphone Impedance Range:

16 Ω ~ 300 Ω

●Signal to Noise Ratio:

≥95dB (A weighted) on line-in;

≥100dB (A weighted) on USB-in

●Distortion:

<0.009% (10mW)on line-in;

<0.008% (10mW) on USB-in

●Frequency Range:

10Hz ~ 1000KHz

●Power Supply:

Internal 1050mAH rechargeable Li-ion battery

●Recharging:

USB 5V DC 400mA

●Size: 96mm x 55mm x 15.5mm

●Weight: 100g

Packaging and Accesories

The Box contains the following stuffs

*FiiO E7

*3.5mm interconnect cable 10cm

*Silicon Band for coupling the Amp with a PMP

*USB Cable (ferrite Core)

*Dual Layer Soft Pouch Black

*Manual

Pics

p10603121.jpg

p10603141.jpg

p10603151.jpg

Build And Design

One thing you will quick notice after holding the DAC/AMP in hands is that its build solid. All the sides except the front is covered with machined metal with Black paint. Unlike most budget DAC, which uses plastic boxes, this one deserves a standout among a sub 100$ DAC for its build. The front face is covered by a large glass like material with a small SIM card sized OLED display, which shows Bass Boost levels, VOL, sleep timer, USB Charge On/OFF, and much more. There are four buttons on the left side which too are metal in construction.

p10603191.jpg

p10603201.jpg

p10603211.jpg

p10603221.jpg

p10603231.jpg

The OLED Screen

p10603261.jpg

Actual size comparison with SE K790i phone and E7 with Silicon cover

p10603291.jpg

The Silicon cover is well layed and accurate

p10603331.jpg

This is how the screen looks in dark

p10603371.jpg

The machined/textured underneath of the E7

p10603411.jpg

E7 can be used as a mirror too :D

p10603491.jpg

Features

The FiiO E7 spots a WM8740 : High performance stereo DAC in its core, and a PCM2706 as USB interface chip. It can be used as a sound card replacement for headphone, and maybe for stereo speaker setups or a 2.1 speaker, but is intended for use with headphones. It also works as an headphone Amplifier with Aux-in port and dual output 3.5mm jacks for headphones. One intesting feature in its menu is the max volume level, which can be set anywhere between 10 and 60. It prevents damaging any low impedance IEM/headphones if accidently pumped up the volume, by friends of yours, or anyone who isnt well informed about the Amp thing :)

Also FiiO claims an 80 Hr battery backup. WOW. This is amazing, and could last more than a week, or even two on a single charging.

Performance

Gaming: The first thing I noticed on initial usage is it sounds really awesome:D. MY SHP 8900 never sounded this good, and it was like I could almost pin point every sound sources in Battlefield Bad Company 2. With the RX-900, the sound was very rich, and bass boost set to level-1 made the explosions real-like. The detailing was better than the Mark IV's line out and FiiO E5 connected to it. I though it might be the E5 who is the culprit, and plugged the headphones directly to Mark IV, and to my surprise, it was even worse, than the line out+ E5. SO the E7 is a clear winner here.

Movies: I fired up some HD 1080 rips with good SQ, and E7 didnt fail to surprise. The SHP 8900 was delivering exceptional details, with the Movie Gamer, I am legend and Transformers I. The Sound stage too was really great, much better than HDA Xplosion and Mark IV. With bass boost level-1, there was added bass, with no detereoration in mids, and highs and was more pleasant. But as its raised to level-2, we can notice the bass slighty drowning the detail, and level-3 is only for bas heads and not at all recommended for movies. The JVC RX 900 being bit bass oriented, was like pumping heavy bass into ears (but without distortions) drowning most of the detailing on level 2 and 3.

Music: This is the most important part about a DAC/AMP and E7 really shines in this segment too. Music felt very much refined when using it as USB DAC, and each Bass boost levels was like tweaking an equlizer for more bass, but the distortion was very less than using extreme high values in an equalizer on a MP. Ive also heard, the DAC section of E7 is really great, and its very much true. It beats Mark IV's line out and HDA explosion with ease.I feel the E7 has a real neutral and balanced sound with a nice touch in sound stage, with 3 levels of bass boost to satisfy varying levels of listeners and bassheads (level-3) :D. The sound stage is amazing with even my budget range headphones. It might do wonders with a better headphone like AD-700 or any other sub 300 Ohm HP.

The Amp section is good, but nothing great. Its ofcourse better than an E5, and you need to use a hard to drive headphone with good detailing to spot the difference, and with that, the difference is good enough to be called superior to E5 :). One thing i noticed is that, it has a hard time driving two high impedance headphones at once. Whenever i connect my RX 900 and 8900 on both headphone outs, the Philips ones's volume is cut by half, but not much change in RX 900's level. Tried swapping the ports, but still no use. And the Amp section is miles ahead of the Mark'Iv buffered output stage:). With PMP, the Amp wasnt enough to deliver proper power for two headphone, to even acceptable volume levels, but was more than enough for a single headphone.

The E7 sound nice on IEMs, much better than straight out of the PMP. But a portable amp of this size is not a good idea, but if you can live with the size, then you wont be dissapointed with the sound for a sub 4k Amp. And at heard, its also a HQ DAC its an added advantage, especially for frequent PC users. But for pure amp purpose, there might be better choice for same or lesser price.

Conclusion

I believe FiiO has come up with another winner. Winner in DAC performance as well as a DAC+AMP in a price tag of 4k. As its a neutral sounding, one can always tweak the sound to his liking using EQ on PMP, MP, or even add some warm boost in lows by bass boost function. There is absolutely no hissing with any of the headphones, or IEMs like even the PL-11. I dont have any lower impedance IEM with higher sensitivity to test further.

Pros:

Good DAC Performance.

80 hr battery backup.

good buid quality.

drives a single high impedance headphone with ease, upto 300 Ohm.

Price :)

Cons:

Hard time driving two high Impedance headphones at once.

No Line-Out without AMPing.

bass boost level change takes a sec to apply, and the volume sinks for a sec.

Pardon any mistakes, as this is my first review here :) and im not an audiophile, and has just stepped into the world of Audio stuffs ;)

sajitsm said:
Earlier, I got the udac confused with the icon. So E7 is definite winner over the uDAC. Is there any other option for an Indian customer for the same price?
I doubt if there is any, in that price range. But uDAC isnt a bad one really. Just falling behind E7 doesnt make uDAC a bad choice, as many still believes it sounds great, and maybe it does sounds good and suit some listeners well as not everybody will like it neutral. Its just that the E7 sounds more purer and natural. But as uDAC had brighter highs and slight boost in lower bass, I think it sounds more pleasant at times than uDAC, atleast for some genres of music.

Now i really think, E7 AMP shouldve been bit more powerful :( . Its beating the purpose of having two 3.5mm outs, if i cant drive two moderate impedance HPs.

Its been 3 days since i charged my E7's battery, and its still showing full battery, and i use HP for about 6~10 hrs a day, at moderate volumes.

I bought these from Lynx - were delivered in less than a week. I am really happy with the E7. The build quality is solid - different league than the E3 and E5.

The only complaint I have is that they need a little more amplification :) These shine really well when used as a DAC.

These are a joy to listen to through my Sennheiser PX 100. I have ordered the Denon AH-D2000! Can't wait to listen to those with the E7!!!

I asked lynx sales rep 1 to plz list e7 and e5 on ebay, and to my surprise, he did it within an hour. By the style of him, I can say, it wasnt Amarbir :)

kekerode said:
Nice review mate! I wonder if iPhone 4 is copied from it :p

lol. It seems very much like it, and even button design and positioning seems alike :)

And FiiO released specs and design details of E7 almost 7~8 months back. :)

dOm1naTOr said:
I asked lynx sales rep 1 to plz list e7 and e5 on ebay, and to my surprise, he did it within an hour. By the style of him, I can say, it wasnt Amarbir :)

Hello ,

Dominator ,That Was Not Me My New Internet Sales Manager ,I Hardly Do anything Now Just Sit Back And Coordinate My Team .Lots Of Things Have changed In Lynx For The Better Of It Since I Have Left Techenclave And Stopped Trading On Many Forums .We Have One Fantastic Team For Internet And Internet division Has New Faces and New People .BTW I Always Check The Orders And Coordinate With Him ,I Feel Happy When My Old Fellow Members At TE Order Something From Me .Shopping With Your Ex Dealer Amarbir And His Website Has Been Easier Now And Much Better .Cheers To All My Old Friends ,BTW Excellent Review I Am So Happy That It Was Done By you Here First .

Very Rightly said Amarbir saar, somedays ago a friend of me from Mohali itself went to your shop, and he called me to ask which IEMs to look for, and he made me talk to your guys at the shop. i just asked you gut to show him 2-3 different IEM, and my friend couldnt beleive that the guy actually made him try more than wanted. Finally he settled with 2 Pl-11 and 1 PL-30.
Please clear your inbox.

Hello ,
Dominator ,That Was Not Me My New Internet Sales Manager ,I Hardly Do anything Now Just Sit Back And Coordinate My Team .Lots Of Things Have changed In Lynx For The Better Of It Since I Have Left Techenclave And Stopped Trading On Many Forums .We Have One Fantastic Team For Internet And Internet division Has New Faces and New People .BTW I Always Check The Orders And Coordinate With Him ,I Feel Happy When My Old Fellow Members At TE Order Something From Me .Shopping With Your Ex Dealer Amarbir And His Website Has Been Easier Now And Much Better .Cheers To All My Old Friends ,BTW Excellent Review I Am So Happy That It Was Done By you Here First .
I didnt mean to offence you by that words :)
I meant the 'first letter caps' of yours by the words "By the style of him, I can say, it wasnt Amarbir" .

And Yes, lot has changed about Lynx. :)
Instant support, fast shipping, and great pricing. One of my friend gladly told me today, that he called lynx today, as his E5 was dead, and its on RMA procudure. Tha was fast :D

Will be glad to purchase more stuffs from Lynx.

dOm1naTOr said:
I didnt mean to offence you by that words :)

I meant the 'first letter caps' of yours by the words "By the style of him, I can say, it wasnt Amarbir" .

And Yes, lot has changed about Lynx. :)

Instant support, fast shipping, and great pricing. One of my friend gladly told me today, that he called lynx today, as his E5 was dead, and its on RMA procudure. Tha was fast :D

Will be glad to purchase more stuffs from Lynx.
Sir ,

I Know That I did Not Get Offended ,Yes I got a Call from That Fellow I Will Support Him Instantly .I Am Aware Of His Call To Me ,Thanks To People Like you Who Support Us .Can You Tell Me About Azuentech Card You Have How Good Is The SQ Of This Card ,I Heard They Have Good Stuff ..

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Ankur said:
Very Rightly said Amarbir saar, somedays ago a friend of me from Mohali itself went to your shop, and he called me to ask which IEMs to look for, and he made me talk to your guys at the shop. i just asked you gut to show him 2-3 different IEM, and my friend couldnt beleive that the guy actually made him try more than wanted. Finally he settled with 2 Pl-11 and 1 PL-30.
Please clear your inbox.
Hello Ankur ,
Whats The Use Of PM On TE Amarbir Is a Ex Dealer Here .Ex Should Be Forgotten .I Would Like To Tell You that Today I Was Sorting The Audio Gear Section Of The Store At Chandigarh And I Smiled ,Cos When I Say The Variety I Was amazed Myself ,This Is Not Possible Without all You Members At Some Point Of Time . From What I Know Many Other People In China a Capable Of Making Stuff Like Soundmagic and Others .So Its Very Well Possible That Something Like Soundmagic Can Be Purchased In Some Other Brand Also .This Is Also Possible For Other Brands .BTW I Like the Nuforce Stuff Also That Vijay Got YEs Its Expensive But Its Very Good IEM ,The NE-6 Is Great .I Like The Sound And Its a Pleasure He Made Us Dealers For Chandigarh ,Thanks To Vijay .

Well i wanted to get a couple of things from you for myself.. thats why wanted to PM.
And also wanted to tell that that friend of mine is so impressed by your store and variety available, and also the services that he is thinking of getting all the Tech-Computer stuff for his Dad's new office from your shop only. He might visit you very soon with a heck of a order.
And you might be ex-dealer at TE but still here among us. And Amarbir is a more renowned name than Lynx atleast for me. And, Experience counts. :)
I'm here at Delhi, otherwise your shop would have worked like an adventure land for me. lol j/k

Ankur said:
Well i wanted to get a couple of things from you for myself.. thats why wanted to PM.

And also wanted to tell that that friend of mine is so impressed by your store and variety available, and also the services that he is thinking of getting all the Tech-Computer stuff for his Dad's new office from your shop only. He might visit you very soon with a heck of a order.

And you might be ex-dealer at TE but still here among us. And Amarbir is a more renowned name than Lynx atleast for me. And, Experience counts. :)

I'm here at Delhi, otherwise your shop would have worked like an adventure land for me. lol j/k

Well ,

This Is Due To The Brilliant Work By Hemraj And Abhinav sitting At The Front Desk And Me Tucked Behind The Partition Giving Them Support .Its The Team That Matters an This Time I Have a Brilliant Team .Abhinav Takes Online Support Calls And Hemraj Manages the Store Part .BTW Do You Also Like Audio Gear ,What Do You Use ,Have You ever Tried a Flac Playing Source With Fiio E7 Its Brilliant .BTW I think They Should Have Used a little more powerful amp in the outputs .Might be that was just spoiling the output and distorting it a little thats why they kept little volume .BTW guy if you use two same outputs in fiio e7 does the volume drop i do not think so .

Though i have not decided upon getting Fiio-E7, but i've seriosuly set up my mind on getting a Xonar STX for myself. And yes i have tried my Clip+ with E5, using PL-30 and it was good but not that great. Will plan on to buy E7 if i get some moolah and a good deal to go with. Currently looking for a drool over deal on Xonar STX. That is why, asked you to clear your inbox to which you responded in that way. Anyways since you're not a dealer anymore here, will catch you on you Live Support at your website for more info.
Any ways, i tried a Nuforce NE-6 bought from you. It sounded relatively better to me out of the box when compared to PL-30. PL-30 sounded harsh in the beginning but afterwards the sound-stage settled. Have been following Faheem and and BF1983, they both are repsonsible for getting me into more audiophile stuf. Love to go by their coments and reviews.
BTW i wn a PL-30, NE-6, JVC-AD700, and SONY PDR-60, FIIO E3 and E5. will be giving all of them to a friend except E5 and NE-6, as i'm thing of moving onto Roccat Kave (though its something different, dont know but it appeals me. Courtesy: Ambar aka VikiD whose review made me go drool over the peice), and a good sound card/DAC to go with Kave/Ne-6.

Sir ,

I Know That I did Not Get Offended ,Yes I got a Call from That Fellow I Will Support Him Instantly .I Am Aware Of His Call To Me ,Thanks To People Like you Who Support Us .Can You Tell Me About Azuentech Card You Have How Good Is The SQ Of This Card ,I Heard They Have Good Stuff ..

I tried to PM but your inbox seems full.

My HDA Xplosion 7.1 performing great, and lot better than Creative cards < 4~4.5k. Also it has many tweaking options like swappable op-amps and all. But the problem is, Auzentech seems to have stopped support for this card sincerely, even if its just a 2 year old series. It doesnt have a proper Win7 driver, and the one theyve provided in site isnt good enough. I cant even enable 24 bit or 96 Khz :(. Its working at 16 bit and 48Khz now :(. It has CMI Chip, but CMI itself hasnt released any good Win7 drivers for it :( . Maybe thats why Auzentech hasnt released any fully Win7 supported drivers yet.

Other never Auzentech cards cards are great like the Prelude 7.1 and all. The Auzentech X-Fi cards seems better than Creative's own cards even if same DAC at core. This might be mainly due to higher quality components that Auzentech use, like solid caps, which has better noise margin/interference, and have better PCB designs and filters. Most prefer Creative due to ease of availability and local warranty. It would be great if an India dealer like you could bring them, with local warranty :)

Ankur said:
Though i have not decided upon getting Fiio-E7, but i've seriosuly set up my mind on getting a Xonar STX for myself. And yes i have tried my Clip+ with E5, using PL-30 and it was good but not that great. Will plan on to buy E7 if i get some moolah and a good deal to go with. Currently looking for a drool over deal on Xonar STX. That is why, asked you to clear your inbox to which you responded in that way. Anyways since you're not a dealer anymore here, will catch you on you Live Support at your website for more info.
Any ways, i tried a Nuforce NE-6 bought from you. It sounded relatively better to me out of the box when compared to PL-30. PL-30 sounded harsh in the beginning but afterwards the sound-stage settled. Have been following Faheem and and BF1983, they both are repsonsible for getting me into more audiophile stuf. Love to go by their coments and reviews.
BTW i wn a PL-30, NE-6, JVC-AD700, and SONY PDR-60, FIIO E3 and E5. will be giving all of them to a friend except E5 and NE-6, as i'm thing of moving onto Roccat Kave (though its something different, dont know but it appeals me. Courtesy: Ambar aka VikiD whose review made me go drool over the peice), and a good sound card/DAC to go with Kave/Ne-6.

Well ,
The ASUS Cards Are Just Brilliant The St And STX And Great Looking cards too :p ,dude they are expensive :p
dOm1naTOr said:
I tried to PM but your inbox seems full.

My HDA Xplosion 7.1 performing great, and lot better than Creative cards < 4~4.5k. Also it has many tweaking options like swappable op-amps and all. But the problem is, Auzentech seems to have stopped support for this card sincerely, even if its just a 2 year old series. It doesnt have a proper Win7 driver, and the one theyve provided in site isnt good enough. I cant even enable 24 bit or 96 Khz :(. Its working at 16 bit and 48Khz now :(. It has CMI Chip, but CMI itself hasnt released any good Win7 drivers for it :( . Maybe thats why Auzentech hasnt released any fully Win7 supported drivers yet.

Other never Auzentech cards cards are great like the Prelude 7.1 and all. The Auzentech X-Fi cards seems better than Creative's own cards even if same DAC at core. This might be mainly due to higher quality components that Auzentech use, like solid caps, which has better noise margin/interference, and have better PCB designs and filters. Most prefer Creative due to ease of availability and local warranty. It would be great if an India dealer like you could bring them, with local warranty :)

Sir ,
They Are Crafted So Well That They Sound Great I Have Heard ,I HEard You Have Changed The OP-Amps Right ,Can i Have a Picture Here .:)

Guys ,

We Have Creative ,Auzentech And ASUs ,What Else Is There in The World Of Sound Cards Manufacturers .As They Say if the Source Is Good The Output Is Best.I want to find out what other soundcard guys are there .

Back