File sharing noob question

vinodh89

Disciple
Just bought a Belkin Wireless G router and I've shared my PC's drive contents (Whole drive partition)to access it from my laptop, And it was successful.
I've setup WPA2-PSK security on the router.

But if someone gets to know the passkey and connects, Can they access my PC's shared drives and its files too ? Or is that they can just access internet ???

Sorry for the noob question :/

i dont think so, unless u provide sharing options form ur PC

most of the guys will be just with internet, barring few nosy people,

if i get internet, browsing itself is good enough for me :D

Konquerror said:
The would be able to access all the resources shared on network...however they can access your files only if your PC is on ;)

My PC is on 24/7, so they type the passkey and they get to see all my PC's shared contents ?? :(

Is there a way to limit and just allow my laptop to access the files ???

vinodh89 said:
Just bought a Belkin Wireless G router and I've shared my PC's drive contents (Whole drive partition)to access it from my laptop, And it was successful.

I've setup WPA2-PSK security on the router.

But if someone gets to know the passkey and connects, Can they access my PC's shared drives and its files too ? Or is that they can just access internet ???

Sorry for the noob question :/

BOTH.

Better keep changing Passkey twice a week. its only takes 2 min ...lol.

A better idea would be to change the router setting ie Reduce LAN start and end address -- 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.5 . instead of 192.168.1.255(which is default value for most router)

OR include address reservation.

vinodh89 said:
My PC is on 24/7, so they type the passkey and they get to see all my PC's shared contents ?? :(

Is there a way to limit and just allow my laptop to access the files ???

By knowing passkey you can only decrypt the network traffic ... not access files unless they are open shares :)

Enable password protected shares so you need supply credentials before accessing share ... also you can share as read-only share :hap2:

Followed a few guidelines from a blog...

I've switched off 'Broadcast SSID' option...So now ppl who need to connect to my network, need to type the Network name and then type the passkey...I think this will do for me...And looks like the folks around my house are real noobs :p

Was able to connect to two unsecured networks :p

kekerode said:
also you can share as read-only share :hap2:

Yep, I've done that...

vinodh89 said:
Followed a few guidelines from a blog...
I've switched off 'Broadcast SSID' option...So now ppl who need to connect to my network, need to type the Network name and then type the passkey...I think this will do for me...And looks like the folks around my house are real noobs :p
Was able to connect to two unsecured networks :p
I faced issue when I try to automatically connect to my network using saved setting when my router is rebooted ... with Broadcasting disabled ... under Windows Vista and Win7

So I just enabled broadcasting again ... again using netstumbler u can search for this kinda hidden SSID :D

Srirama said:
MAC Address filtering :huh:

Yes ... that's best way to prevent wifi access :) .... only allow know devices to connect based on MAC but again by MAC Spoofing / faking the MAC of that known device u can get access :(

Yes ... that's best way to prevent wifi access :) .... only allow know devices to connect based on MAC but again by MAC Spoofing / faking the MAC of that known device u can get access :([/QUOTE]

I dont think his noob neighbours(as quoted by him ;)),would hack his computer and find his mac address,clone it onto thiers,and get access.........again not gonna happen :eek:h yeah:

Back