Files not getting deleted on Pen drive!!!

hot zubs

Disciple
Hello folks,
I have a weird problem in my pen drive, there is a 900 MB folder in it which contains MP3 files, when I try to delete this folder or when I try to format the disk it says “disk is write-protected†and gives 3 options Try again, Skip and cancel. And when I go inside the folder and right-click on the MP3 files there is no delete option at-all. Tried to format or delete in windows Xp, Windows 7 and also ubuntu but no success. Even tried unlocker software but still it doesn't help:S

Is there any other option which I can try :huh:

nehaladsul said:
Format the Drive with HDD Regenerator. It should work for sure.
how do i format the drive with HDD Regenerator???
completely scanned the drive with it and there were no bad sectors found...

vivacious_tg said:
not a proper solution but is it allowing you to "cut" the files and pasting it somewhere else.
no even the cut option is missing with delete option...

There are chances that the pen drive is infected with the folder.exe virus. Try using malware bytes over the drive and/or some good antivirus to detect and remove the infection and then subsequently format it.

^^ Those those virus are inactive in linux environment then how come OP failed to format/delete the data from ubuntu

Try below:

1)- Start > Run > type ‘regedit’ then hit 'OK'.

- Browse to the following key:

My Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\StorageDevicePolicies

- Double click on the string ‘WriteProtect’ and change the ‘Value Data’ box to ‘0’

- You may also need to do this for the strings in any folders called ‘ControlSet***’ e.g.

My Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\StorageDevicePolicies

2) Go to start menu / run and type cmd

type CHKDSK and press enter, after its complete,

if your usb drive is G or type whatever the letter is

type chkdsk G: /F and press enter -----

remove your USB and then plug it again now try to format it

3) Use this Active@ Kill Disk - Hard Drive Eraser

does your pendrive have any physical notch which can be toggled? One of my older pendrives had one and that was meant to write-protect the drive. Toggling it will disable the write-protect mode.
If not, many solutions are already suggested.

Trying to format the USB using Linux etc may help ???

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Try this utility for low level format

Download HDD Low Level Format Tool 2.36.1181 Free - HDD Low Level Format Tool is a freeware utility for low-level hard disk drive formatting - Softpedia

Sorry to hijack, but i have a iball pen drive (got ebay gift) which is actually 2GB but currently it shows the size as 896 MB. Even formatting it does not work and size does not increase. What seems to be the issue and can it be sorted using this low level format.

PS: Should i open another thread for this query ??

raksrules said:
Download Free commander and open the pen drive using that and try deleting the files. May work.
nope not working...

CA50 said:
Try formatting the flash drive within some linux live cd
have already tried, it just keeps loading for infinite time....

raksrules said:
There are chances that the pen drive is infected with the folder.exe virus. Try using malware bytes over the drive and/or some good antivirus to detect and remove the infection and then subsequently format it.
no its not infected with any virus, scanned it with many antivirus's like quickheal total security, avast 5.0 and so on...

vivacious_tg said:
Try below:

1)- Start > Run > type ‘regedit’ then hit 'OK'.

- Browse to the following key:

My Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\StorageDevicePolicies

- Double click on the string ‘WriteProtect’ and change the ‘Value Data’ box to ‘0’

- You may also need to do this for the strings in any folders called ‘ControlSet***’ e.g.

My Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\StorageDevicePolicies

2) Go to start menu / run and type cmd
type CHKDSK and press enter, after its complete,
if your usb drive is G or type whatever the letter is
type chkdsk G: /F and press enter -----
remove your USB and then plug it again now try to format it

3) Use this Active@ Kill Disk - Hard Drive Eraser
1."StorageDevicePolicies" is missing in my windows Xp and
2. when i try chkdsk G: /F it says "The type of the file system is FAT32. Windows cannot run disk checking on this volume because it is write protected."
3.It gives an error while wiping or killing the drive
saROMan said:
Found similar solutions here as given by @vivacious_tg

alternatively many people have reported that following utility has done the trick .. you can give it a try
nothing works dude...
pr0ing said:
does your pendrive have any physical notch which can be toggled? One of my older pendrives had one and that was meant to write-protect the drive. Toggling it will disable the write-protect mode.
If not, many solutions are already suggested.
No Lock/Unlock bar and all bro...

Spacescreamer said:
Prolly you need to Low Level format your usb drive.
Do mention any free s.w available.
tried few softwares to low level format, but doesn't work :(

raksrules said:
Trying to format the USB using Linux etc may help ???

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Try this utility for low level format

Download HDD Low Level Format Tool 2.36.1181 Free - HDD Low Level Format Tool is a freeware utility for low-level hard disk drive formatting - Softpedia
Sorry to hijack, but i have a iball pen drive (got ebay gift) which is actually 2GB but currently it shows the size as 896 MB. Even formatting it does not work and size does not increase. What seems to be the issue and can it be sorted using this low level format.
PS: Should i open another thread for this query ??
tried that software, it completes the process but after that i cant format the disk, the data is there like how it was...

ANYTHING ELSE GUYS???

Found one....boot from hiren boot cd, there are lots of programs to wipe hdd and to delete partition, try those. I am sure that out of all atleast one will help for sure. :)

Back