CPU/Mobo Finally, AMD made some money. Guess what got them more money?

Well, the new GPU prices do look a bit low to get enough margins. I guess the pricing is to get the market back.

I've done my part. Got a 4850 & lovin it! :hap2:

vishwaswish said:
Sorry, wrong guess It's CPU's that got money for AMD.

In Q3 AMD had $131M operating income! It doesn't cut their $143M loss in Q2, but it's a start.

CPU department made $143M profit
GPU department made $47M profit
Others: $59M operating losses.

Suprising to see that how much they made money with their CPUs compared to GPUs..
http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/cont...Financials.pdf

Does that include their server business as well or the desktop business only? You do realise that selling some 20K odd 4870's worldwide isn't really a big figure do you? I say this not to put AMD down but as the answer to the surprise you got above.
I didn't read the memo but I hope you realise that Opteron has always been a cash cow for them, and the figures of CPU VS GPU will always be such, since AMD is primarily a CPU/platform builder, and GPUs is just a side business, mainly to support their ecosystem with good IGPs. They don't really care about competition with NVIDIA, but are looking at bigger things with Sandtiger and its ilk.

^^Deneb competes well with Kentsfield. But thats not its problem. The issue is its been made ready too late, i7 is already looking good and should be its main competitor. Heck, I'm just off benchmarking one of them, and I can tell you, its bloody fast :eek:hyeah:

Back