OC & Modding Finally tried some O/C

zhopudey

Skilled
After lots of adventures, and two RAM changes, finally I got my teeth wet on some overclocking. :eek:hyeah:

Nothing great of course, just 210x10 @ 2-2-2-5, and 220x10 @ 2-3-3-7. Ran memtest one pass. Didnt check with prime. I'll do that tonight. But first will have to start my old pc. What do you guys do while prime is running? :huh:

Default volts didn't work @ 210 even. :S So tried with vcore 1.425, and vdimm 2.7. Even that didn't do, so tried 1.45 and 2.8. That did the trick. At 220, however, 2-2-2-5 didnt work, even at vDimm 2.9 Tried 2-2-2-6, 2-2-2-7, 2-2-3-7.....no luck. So had to settle for 2-3-3-7. ( vDimm 2.8)

Ran SuperPi 1M.

200 @ 2-2-2-5. 42.406s
210 @ 2-2-2-5. 39.890s
220 @ 2-3-3-7. 38.xxx

Once I get my old pc started, will test with prime. Then, will go higher. How do you guys suggest I change ram timings?

Also, will the OCZ need active cooling? Theres hardly 2mm space between the two sticks. If I get si-120, will it overhang the ram slots? So will they benefit from the cpu fan?
Or should I go for HR-01, with an intake fan on the side of the ram?

if you run this occz tcc5 rams (harshal's) at anything over 2-2-2-6 then i feel you are wasting time (ur's), money(ur's), energy(our's):D . (unless you are running them @ greater than 250 mhz speeds, @ 1:1 , 1T for which you will have to "relax" the settings a bit....)

Raise the vcore to 1.5V ~ 1.525V and set the htt to 240 mhz and use 1:1 ram:cpu ratio. latency settings = 2-2-2-6

vdimm = 2.85 or less

if it runs ok then

vcore=1.55V
Htt= 275
ram / cpu ratio = 5:6
mem speed = 230mhz (approx.)
settings = 2-2-2-6

if this paases

then set HTT to 280 ~ 290, rest of the settings same
and repeat......

Thanks for the advice!

This was the first time I've o/ced in my life, so forgive the loose timimngs and all :eek:hyeah: Will do it properly tonight and tommorrow.

BTW, my epox doesnt allow vdimm increase in 0.5 volts. So i'll have to go to 2.9 directly.

BTW, is a divider necessary? What is better? Divider with tight timings, or 1:1 with loose timings?

Is 2.9 vDimm safe? Cause I don't have option of 2.85

Zhopudey, Good going... but it can do better! 2.9v is fine but then u may want to put a fan on it :) as it gets HOT. I have had those running 250 (2-3-3-5 1T) @ 2.8v. So if you want, go staright for kill with 1:1;). As for 240 with 2-2-2-6 may not be possible, you may want to try 2-3-2-6@2.8v.

Keep us posted man!

tccd / tcc5 chips dont like high vdimm, infact their o/c potential decrease with increasing vdimms.
for e.g. my GEIL one TCCD gives best performance @ 2.75 Vdimm (320 ~ 330 mhz) but as i increased it, the max speeds decreased .....(ur mileage may vary since the m/b and the ram chips are different than mine)
hence by trial and error find the best vdimm for ur tccx first.
for this just set vcore to 1.55V
mem settings = 2.5(3)-4-4-7 (8)
1:1

and try to find the max cpu mhz you can go. start from an entry level speed of 260mhz htt and go up by 5 mhz steps. if m/c does not boot or post even (you hear the Ambulance siren ...or other melodious beeps , simply reset the cmos and increase the voltages, relax the memory timings and proceed) try all possible vdimm settings ....this way automatically you will find the max the memory can go since it is running 1:1.
(assuming it is not the cpu which is holding you back)
also set htt multiplier to 3.

once you find the sweet spot for the vdimm for e.g. 2.7V ~ 2.8V band then note it down / remember that for future.....

do not worry about the temps for now.....experiment as high as you can go. HTT 280 ....290 ...300 ..etc...., raise the vcore to 1.6X if needed.(but keep it for short duration 5 ~ 10 mins max i.e. see xp loads or not etc...) but do not run prime95 at these settings for now since you are merely determining the max speed of ur memory, and not aiming to finetune or stabilize the system.

(actually here i am taking a short cut, since it is best to first determine the max cpu speed , keeping the memory at default 200 mhz speed or lower (depending upon the clock divider ratio you select)

ps: try to use a system HDD which does not have important data since there is a chance of the data getting corrupt due to unstable o/c during this process.

Re: ur query
"BTW, is a divider necessary? What is better? Divider with tight timings, or 1:1 with loose timings?"

if the rams can do 2-2-2-5 (6) till about 240 ~ 250 mhz then it is best to use a clock divider of 5:6 , since the increase in cpu speeds will boost the overall performance of the m/c.

if the rams can do 290 ~ 300+ mhz then it is better to use 1:1 , even at a slightly relaxed timings of say 2.5-3-3-7.

btw, 2-2-2-5 at 245 ~ 250 mhz is equal (or nearly equal) in performance to say 285 ~ 300 mhz @ 2.5 (3) - 3-3-7 ...

hence if the cpu can do 300mhz htt easily and if the rams run @ 2.5-3-3-7 at 300mhz then it is better to use this @ 1:1 ....else use clock dividers....

hope this has helped you in ur o/c endeavour ...

edit: duplicate post.
N:B:

1) Also do take harshal's advice in the basic parameters since he has had first hand expirience with this memory. this will cut down ur max o/c determination time a lot.

2)Do not exceed 1.7V on the vcore and 3.0Vdimm on the memory.

3) o/c is a very tedious and frustrating exercise hence be bold and have patience. do not be afraid in trying higher speeds. remember if the m/c refuses to boot , reset the cmos (jumper) and recommence by suitably adjusting the voltages and timings.

4) nobody can give a definite answer to queries like how high you can go, what memory settings to use etc.... since this always m/c specific and no two m/c's are ever alike. only by doing it yourself you will know for sure how ur cpu and ram responds to o/c.

5) try to keep the side panels off while determining the max speds. once that is achieved (which is only 20% of the o/c process) the real o/c process begins of finetunning and checking for stability ......real world, pratical use o/c (albeit at a lower speed) is any day better than just merely posting screenies of max o/c which may not be stable for more than a few minutes ...
hence once the max value are determined you may have to lower the speeds quite a bit to make the m/c really usable for daily use......

Whoa! That was really very helpful. Will read it thrice, and try to digest everything. :eek:hyeah:

In fact, I'll just take a printout of that.

zhopudey said:
This was the first time I've o/ced in my life, so forgive the loose timimngs and all :eek:hyeah: Will do it properly tonight and tommorrow.

I did not mean to offend / mock / you Z.:hap5: but what i was trying to imply was this.
if you want to run @ 2.5-3-3-7 (8) at around 230mhz perpetually then you can get local cheap memories at <4K for 1 GB which can do those speeds.
Since you have spent nearly double that amount for these rams might as well get value for ur Hard earned money by decently utilising their o/c potential :eek:hyeah:

I always go miles to be cost effective and get value for money.:eek:hyeah:

Of course I want to utilise their o/c potential!! :eek:hyeah: Thats why I'm posting here and asking for your advice. :D

Since I only played with them for an hour yesterday, thats all I could do. But I'm free tomm, so will try out all the things you and harshal suggested.

Keep the advice coming!

Started with high spirits. :eek:hyeah: First of all, got my old pc started, and transferred some music.

First step, tried 220 @ 2-2-2-5. Cleared memtest! :hap2:

Booted into windows, tried superPi. Got.......42.724s :S WTF!!!

Tried 225 @ 2-2-2-5. Cleared memtest, tried superPi, got 41.xxx

Mummmyyy!!!!! SuperPi has gone mad! So opened up cpu-z. Hmmmm, 225x10. 1024mb ram. Dual Channel. 2-2-2-5. 112mhz.

:huh:

RESTART! Check in bios!!

:ashamed: :ashamed: :ashamed:

Idiot!!! ddr200 is not 200 mhz!!

Redo everything!

zhopudey said:
Started with high spirits. :eek:hyeah: First of all, got my old pc started, and transferred some music.

First step, tried 220 @ 2-2-2-5. Cleared memtest! :hap2:

Booted into windows, tried superPi. Got.......42.724s :S WTF!!!

Tried 225 @ 2-2-2-5. Cleared memtest, tried superPi, got 41.xxx

Mummmyyy!!!!! SuperPi has gone mad! So opened up cpu-z. Hmmmm, 225x10. 1024mb ram. Dual Channel. 2-2-2-5. 112mhz.

:huh:

RESTART! Check in bios!!

:ashamed: :ashamed: :ashamed:

Idiot!!! ddr200 is not 200 mhz!!

Redo everything!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

lolz for a second i was thinking that superpi had gone mad.

Wokay...serious now.

Couldnt do 225 @ 2-2-2-5. Succeded @ 2-3-3-5. SuperPi 37.xxx

Tried 240 @ 2-3-3-5. Didnt work. 2.5-3-3-7, didn't work. 3-3-3-7, didn't work. Kept vcore 1.5.....no luck :S

Got frustated. Luckily, 230 @ 2-3-3-6 is working. But superPi is 38.xxx Thats slower than at 225 :( Seems latency has a big effect on superpi.

Heres the everest SS -

Back