Audio Finding a replacement for my ageing Altec Lansing ATP3

The atp3 are still working but I want to upgrade to something better. My budget is 15k and requirements are movie and music, not into gaming.
Have seen a few, like swan M10 and D-1080-iv....etc. Room shaking bass not a priority but clarity is. Also am getting fiio e10k. I like these two but more inclined towards D-1080.
Others like audioengine etc are out of my budget and I have no idea about offerings from other brands and their availability. Looked up the price from Amazon India.
Any other suggestion would be helpful. Btw, this would be my first bookshelf speaker purchase, if I go with the 1080s.

If you are looking for clarity, you will not go wrong with the D1080iv. For the price they are easily among the best speakers currently available. The M10 is good (it has a sub-woofer), but as far as clarity is concerned, there is no beating the 1080. They produce fairly crisp bass too.

However, I am not sure if you are into action movies, you might want to look for something with more boomier bass. Otherwise, these are really, really, fantastic babies.

Go for them without a second thought.

Thanks, I do watch action movies but will the absence of woofer be such a loss. Read good reviews about the 1080 and the bass is good enough(not boomy like the Z623.....dont like the looks of logitech). No way to demo the pair before buying so have to depend on reviews online and feedback that I get here.
Also I have ordered the Fiio E10k... so the 1080 would appreciate it :)
Hate the fact that there is so limited choice. Most market place (local or online) is filled with crap product. And to get decent stuff one have to spend a good amount.

Finally bought the Swan D1080-IV for Rs.12890/- from amazon. Been using it for a while and must say that I don't miss the sub-woofer at all. Listening music on these pair is nirvana compared to ATP3.. Be it music or movies, its awesome. I don't game much so can't comment but think it would be simply work great for gaming too.
One thing is the music source quality does affect your listening experience, so would suggest to play minimum of 320kbps files or lossless would be the best.

Finally bought the Swan D1080-IV for Rs.12890/- from amazon. Been using it for a while and must say that I don't miss the sub-woofer at all. Listening music on these pair is nirvana compared to ATP3.. Be it music or movies, its awesome. I don't game much so can't comment but think it would be simply work great for gaming too.
One thing is the music source quality does affect your listening experience, so would suggest to play minimum of 320kbps files or lossless would be the best.

First, congratulations on the purchase.

Happy to know the recommendation worked for you. A lot of people are bass hungry. While the D1080s are fantastic, many find the bass a little soft. I however am a great fan of the set and hence gave the recommendation. I am planning to go in for M50w as a unit in my second living space. If I do manage to get them, I will keep you guys posted.

Do let me know if the sound improves over time. I know the break-in / burn-in period is an issue of debate, I can with certainty say that both my car speakers (pioneer) and my Altec MX5021 have started sounding better with time.

The sound has definitely improved since I bought it. Yes the bur-in period is an issue of debate but I too find that with time speakers do improve. Anyways, very happy with this purchase. Thanks soulweaver.

Back