Firefox 2.0 vs IE7 vs Opera9

Kumar said:
The thing with extentions is,whenever u install FF,u have to install all the extentions manually which bloats the install and the time taken to install.Opera doesn't have extentions because...i doesn't need them.Evry thing (almost) u need is included with the browser in a nice small package.

I tried using firefox extensively during my last year in college - invariably one or the other extension would cause my web session to crash and then I would have to go through the whole routine of uninstalling all of them and figuring out the trouble makers. Now, I am sure that these problems must have been addressed in the subsequent builds - but my point still remains valid - with opera, I get all functionalities that I need out of the box. No need to install any extensions that keep bloating the install.

Also, I've never really come across any ff mouse gesture extension that is as convenient to use as the native opera functionality - again, I haven't tried any in months so things might have changed now.

Finally, as already mentioned, opera has the best implementation of tabbed browsing out of the box and has had it for long.

Icing on the Cake: It is free :D

s@dism said:
but my point still remains valid - with opera, I get all functionalities that I need out of the box. No need to install any extensions that keep bloating the install.

Icing on the Cake: It is free :D

I dont think you can call 50kb - 100kb extensions bloated.

Opera became free bcoz of firefox. Opera is a very old browser but only 1% of the online population use it while ff went from zero to hero. :bleh:

Btw im a firefox fan.

i agree FF is good but its not not the best.the 0 to hero thing is more of a result of the anti M$ thing rather than FF love.I bet Opera beats FF anyday.

Kumar said:
i agree FF is good but its not not the best.the 0 to hero thing is more of a result of the anti M$ thing rather than FF love.I bet Opera beats FF anyday.

if its only the anti M$ thing at work, as u say, then why don they adopt opera instead of FF? there's something else to FF and thats ease of use. With FF, you feel at home the very first time u use it but thats not the case with Opera. I know one can customize opera whichever way they like but i am talking abt millions and zillions of not-so-techie users here. ;)

Just to add to Quickfire's quote, its very much a community-based project. You have public QA's where one can find what works & doesn't & people get to be vocal on what they liked or didn't like with the browser. Of course one could argue tht it's counter-productive but tht's the way things function. :)

In browsing terms alone, Opera is way better. Its faster, its lighter. What firefox is to IE, Opera is to Firefox.

Firefox still wins because of its extras. I have this videodownloader extension with which I can instantly rip off embedded flash videos, AllPeers beta extension is out, which is like a mini file-sharing p2p initself, and plenty more, all compacted in one browser named Firefox, so its gets my vote.

Mozilla should try and notch up Firefox to Opera's speed and loading performance and then it will truly be perfect.

@ hacker u are telling bout 100kb of extension not bloating?? now most of the useful extentions (for me) of FF are close to 150 on average and everytime FF upgrades the extensions upgrade or go bye bye its quite boring tht ways...

System I'm guessing u have Mr Tech Local Install or MTLI installed. If u have tht then u don't have to worry about extensions not co-operating at all.

FF extensions rock...PLus i like that every mod is user created...hence NIcE ;)
IE7 sucks big deal...if it were tabbing thats new...well MAXTHON already has it.

Troy said:
Just went through the post of the the other members comparing Firefox with lame browsers like Opera and Internet explorer.How can anyone compare Firefox with any other browser out there,PPl who use Opera for its speed, try out faster fox extension for Firefox and there plenty of good mouse gesture extensions available for Firefox,hey and i think all of likes to execute those kewl scripts with Grease Monkey and above all none of this browser comes closer to the security of Firefox.

My Vote Goes To Firefox!!!!!!!!!

Opera also has userjs which is more advanced than Grease Monkey.
Opera has a much bettter security track record.

For Mozilla 1.x
Vendor Mozilla Organization
Product Link View Here (Link to external site)
Affected By 35 Secunia advisories
Unpatched 11% (4 of 35 Secunia advisories)
Most Critical Unpatched
The most severe unpatched Secunia advisory affecting Mozilla Firefox 1.x, with all vendor patches applied, is rated Less critical

For Opera 8.x
Vendor Opera Software
Affected By 15 Secunia advisories
Unpatched 0% (0 of 15 Secunia advisories)
Most Critical Unpatched
There are no unpatched Secunia advisories affecting this product, when all vendor patches are applied.

For Opera 9.x

Vendor Opera Software
Affected By 0 Secunia advisories
Unpatched 0% (0 of 0 Secunia advisories)
Most Critical Unpatched
There are no unpatched Secunia advisories affecting this product, when all vendor patches are applied.

So total 15 Advisories compared to 35 of Firefox and 0% unpatched.
Source : Vulnerability and Virus Information - Secunia

I use Opera because of small but nice features it has. I dont need to download extensions. Often extensions have incompatibilities,makes Fx crash and makes it sluggish. Plus Opera has a much smoother interface.
mjp1618 said:
I think Opera is a very good browser; but one advantage of Firefox is that it is open. Since Firefox is open, I suspect any new feature implemented in any browser will be soon copied in Firefox as extensions or something by some fan very soon. I once had an argument with someone regarding Opera vs. Firefox, and everytime I mentioned a feature of Opera, the other person said that it was also available as an extension to Firefox. I think a lot of features in Firefox are inspired from Opera. Since Firefox is open with a large user base, it would be quite difficult for any browser to compete with Firefox.

But that said, I have never felt any need to change from Opera; I really love it.
Open Source has got nothing to do with extensions. You can be closed source and yet have extensions/plugins. What is needed is a SDK. I do think that Opera should release an SDK.
Hacker said:
I dont think you can call 50kb - 100kb extensions bloated.

Opera became free bcoz of firefox. Opera is a very old browser but only 1% of the online population use it while ff went from zero to hero. :bleh:

Btw im a firefox fan.

Not really. It will be more appropriate to say Opera became free because of Google. It's the deal with Google that enabled them to become free.

Firefox all the way .. though i still don't like v2.0 much coz its so incompatible with the extensions ... v1.5.0.7 Pre is doing great till now .. :D

i like firefox.. but kinda hate the ver 1.5.. cause it crashes stilll atleast for me :(

bon echo never crashed.... ya the incompatiblity sucked.. i hope bon echo is released soon though :D

Back