Firefox Vs Waterfox

New version of Firefox are buggy, slow and staler. I am using chrome & IE for regular surfing, but I don't like recently closed tab bar in Chrome, kinda breach in privacy.

gokufan said:
its 64bit variant of firefox,google it.

As long as its not developed by Mozilla itself, it cannot be a "variant" of Firefox. Stop fantasizing lol, Mozilla already announced that it will release a 64 bit version of Firefox soon

Devan232 said:
As long as its not developed by Mozilla itself, it cannot be a "variant" of Firefox. Stop fantasizing lol, Mozilla already announced that it will release a 64 bit version of Firefox soon

Its essentially a build of Firefox compiled from Mozilla Firefox code. I don't see anything extra added. At best, there might be experimental features that were enabled/disabled when building the code. So its indeed a variant of the standard Firefox release.

Just to give you guy's some background, the layout engine that Firefox uses is called Gecko and Firefox is just a container for Gecko. There is no native UI in Firefox. The entire Firefox window is just a Gecko layout control inside which an XUL page is loaded to show the actual firefox UI. XUL is markup language like HTML or XHTML that was introduced by Mozilla. It uses JavaScript for interaction logic. A lot of Firefox instabilities are due to the nature of the UI and the fact that it relies on JavaScript.

Since the Mozilla code bases are licensed under LGPL, people can use the code to build custom applications around Gecko like for example a browser of their own. For example, K-Melon is a browser that uses a native UI and uses Gecko only for content rendering. Camino on Mac is also similar. It uses a Cocoa native UI and uses Gecko only for rendering the content. In all such browsers, the web content rendering is still performed by Gecko. but by reducing reliance on XUL, they may gain some stability advantage.

In case of Waterfox however even the UI is same i.e XUL based like Firefox. In fact I don't see anything extra over a standard firefox build in terms of files included. Its essentially a custom build of Firefox. It maybe a little more stable by disabling experimental features in the code and that is all. Its still Firefox in every other respect.

may be you check it yourself,I Did freshinstall of both waterfox and chrome and clicked ign on chrome first and within seconds firefox,but firefox was quicker in loading flash content and overall just quicker.

Back