First build. Need help

hade123

Disciple
Hey guys,

I've been too lazy to upgrade my old system till now cos I got a decent laptop but I have to return it to my (prev) employer pretty soon, so i'm trying to put together a decent all-purpose system that I can use, hopefully without too many upgrades, for a couple of years.

What is your budget?

33k-35k

What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)

1. CPU - Intel Pentium D 820

2. Motherboard - not sure.. (ATI Radeon Xpress 200 for Intel Processors)

3. RAM - 2x512MB PC2-4200

4. Monitor - HP L1706 (17 inch)

5. SMPS - The one that came with the system (Not sure about the model and stuff, sorry. Was 350W though)

6. HDD - 160GB Sata, 80GB IDE

7. 16X DVD(+/-)R/RW RAM (+/-)R DL LightScribe drive

8. Keyboard, mouse, JBL Platinum Series speakers

3. Q: Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)

1. Monitor - HP L1706 (17 inch)

2. HDD - 160GB Sata, 80GB IDE

3. 16X DVD(+/-)R/RW RAM (+/-)R DL LightScribe drive

4. Keyboard, mouse, JBL Platinum Series speakers

Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.

1. CPU - Intel Core i5-750

2. Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD2

3. GPU - palit geforce 9800gt sonic/palit geforce GTS 250 512mb

4. RAM - Kingston 1x2gb DDR3 1333

5. SMPS - Corsair vx450

6. UPS - APC Backup ES 650VA

Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component

maybe, in another 4-5 months

1. RAM - another 1x2GB DDR3 1333

Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)

1. Chennai

2. Don't wanna buy online

Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market

No

What is your intended use for this PC/hardware

1. Development (Blackberry)

2. Gaming

3. Browsing

4. 24x7 operation, occasional downloads

Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.

1. smps - anything other than zebronics

If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?

1. RPG - Tes4 OBLIVION, WOW, Dragon Age, Mass effect, Assassin's creed, Fable TLC etc

2. FPS - Gears of war, cod4 etc

What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage

1. Gaming - 1280x1024

2. Desktop - 1280x1024

Are you looking to overclock?

No

Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?

1. Windows XP Pro SP2 32 bit

2. Windows 7 Pro 32 bit

I'm gonna buy everything from Delta Peripherals in Ritchie Street, cause a couple of my friends have bought their systems there and keep telling me to do the same. Without the case, the above config is around 32-33k.

I'm not really sure about a couple of componets though, psu, case and ups.

The psu is the part i'm most confused about. I'm thinking about getting the corsair vx450 but i'm not sure if it would provide enough power for system (2 hdd's, i5, 17" lcd, the vid card etc). Would it run this config smoothly or would I have to go for a higher psu (vx550?).

I have no idea about choosing a good case for this system. The system will probably get pretty hot, esp in this heat (wish I wasn't in Chennai =(). So, if you can recommend a good case to help keep the system cool (maybe even get additional case fans etc) I'd appreciate it a lot. And also tell me if I would need a cpu cooler if the additional case fans won't cut it. Willing to spend more than 35k if I really need to.

Also, is the APC Backup ES 650VA a good buy? There are occasional power cuts, fluctuations etc here. Would this along with the smps be enough to protect the rest of my system?

Should I get the gts250 or 9800gt? Would both these cards run with the selected psu, ups?

Sorry about the long list of questions. Been reading through too many reviews/forums and it's only confused me more.

Thanks.

Back