Car & Bike First Car - Used Car || Which One

Spectre

Skilled
Hello Guys,
After months of see-saw on whether to go for a used car or a new one, I have decided that my first car would be a cheap used hatchback, which i will use for a year and then get a good new one.
This after talking to many of my friends, who said " its better to go for a used one first, learn well with it, get your family members also trained on driving and once you are really comfortable, sell this and get a new one of your liking"

I still dont know how to drive :ashamed: but my brother knows, I will find time to learn shortly

Now, I want my TE friend to suggest, what r my options and how I go about getting one

1. Small hatchback with power steering (or i should get a normal steering one). Parking is a constraint, i need to park on our street road :p
2. Which brand or model is best/better for a used one. Usage will be 700-800 Kms at max in a month
3. I am looking to use only for a year, so what price range i should look at which will be favourable to me
4. Budget is not really an issue, i mean i dont want to go for anythin more than 2L for a used one, which i will use for a short period, resale value will drop anyways

my height is 177 cms, if that helps in suggestions :)

Get something like an Alto or Santro and learn on it. Power steering is your choice. I personally feel that if you learn without a power steering , you will appreciate its presence more :p

Thanks guys! I am also looking at these options - Santro / Alto / WagonR
I am looking at a 4-5 year old cars which has run around 30000 kms, can i get them under 1.5L

Spectre said:
Thanks guys! I am also looking at these options - Santro / Alto / WagonR

I am looking at a 4-5 year old cars which has run around 30000 kms, can i get them under 1.5L
In Delhi its impossibe to get below 1.5L...

I mean for a 2nd Hand Santro Xing 2003,70-80K Mileage it sells for around 1.5K..

So u have to increase your budget a bit...You can find easily in the price range 1.5L-2.0L......

I don't know which brand, but my friend who is on hunting for 2nd had car told me that 2002 make from same brand is faulty

Getting a Santro (Older model Zip/Zip Plus) for around 1.5Lk is possible.

U would get a 2003/2004 model Xing for near the 2.0Lk mark.

I would suggest u get ur hands on the Xing or the Alto 1.1L variant. I suggest the 1.1L variant only coz the 800CC 3 Pot Altos lacked Power Steering & it was just another Maruti 800 with an Alto's skin.

Finding a 1.1L is going to be difficult as that engine was available only for a very small period of time on the Alto.

Getting an old Wagon R (Type 1) is also possible in your budget.

So, my suggestions are (in that order):

1) Hyundai Santro/Santro Xing

2) Maruti Suzuki Wagon R

3) Maruti Suzuki Alto 1.1L

U simply cannot go wrong with the 1st two options.

I would personally recommend to go for WagonR over Santro or Zen (old one)....

Earlier user of zen, now of WagonR...
WagonR is still in market's major unlike Zen, hence spares are easier to get...
also, a good height and ground clearance is its plus point over zen...

Sold my 9 years old Zen for 1L and got a 2 years old Used WagonR LXi for Rs 2L..:p

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Addition..

My uncle got a "Kind of New" WagonR LX for much cheaper price recently...

Was purchased from showroom itself, but the car was manufactured in Dec 2009.. also since Blue eyed boy is out in market, old LX version's value had got down....hence they are trying to clear the stock as soon as possible

also, those showroom chap took his old Maurti 800 for around 40K...

PS: I guess wagonR LX dont have Power steering,..

I suggest the 1.1L variant only coz the 800CC 3 Pot Altos lacked Power Steering & it was just another Maruti 800 with an Alto's skin.

Finding a 1.1L is going to be difficult as that engine was available only for a very small period of time on the Alto.

Well, '03-04 aside, the more recent models of the LXI variant, do feature Power Steering.

Also, the LXI and VXI do share the same skin more or less, save for the bump in the engine department.

@Spectre

Have you visited a MS TrueValue outlet yet? If not, do pay them a visit. Bound to find a good deal.

Thanks for all the inputs guys! keep them coming
much appreciated

I am scouting for some good deals in the cars many listed
Any pointers on what checks or approach i have to take when fixing a deal for a used car :)

@TTM - i checked on their website for Alto @ Chennai and the prices are listed pretty high for used ones
Will I get better deals when i approach them directly. Is it better option than,say with a used car dealer/broker

Did not read through the topic. As currently you are enough in a used car, get old model euro 2/3 zen. Perfect composition of power and mileage to begin with. Shall cost around 1.5 lac for vxi model (power steering and front power windows )

that is how much my dad's 5yr old vxi is being offered.

Suggesting maruti and a petrol vehicle as this is your 1st one. It will have low maintenance and easy to manage. If you are looking for a new one then volkswagon polo diesel may be worth considering..

Sent from my Cell Fone using TapaTalk. :) Pardon me for any typos. :p

Well, for first-timers or those who don't have much experience around cars, such dealerships prove to be helpful in purchasing a used car.

Good deals come every now and then, so it's best to register yourself at the TrueValue outlet and specify your requirements clearly.

When they do find a suitable car, you'll be notified and asked to come and check it in person. This would be in the original condition they received it in.

Once you OK the car, they start prepping it up for the sale and do pretty good job of it.

Now, the deal-clincher is that you have a trouble-free (peace of mind) process of purchasing the car (docs & other formalities) and year of MS warranty, including 3 free services.

That said, such convenience does come at a price, the reason why you might notice the premium over other (private) used car dealerships.

i checked on their website for Alto @ Chennai and the prices are listed pretty high for used ones

They are merely posted as references.

Once you actually evaluate a suitable car, take into consideration the 'year/model/condition/pricing for similar cars' and TALK YOUR WAY through, to an agreeable price.

Good luck. :)

P.S: My '07 Alto LXI was purchased from MSTV last year, a low-mileage one at that. A pretty decent deal I'd say.

URGENT:

I have just freezed a deal with Maruti Wagon R - 2006 model, 35000 Kms Mettalic Blue

LX model (without power steering)

The True-Value showroom is actually managed by a friend of my close friend, so as a personal assurance, he said car is in very good shape. My brother had a test ride and said its fine for him

Got best offer at 2.30 Lacs with 1 year Maruti True Value warranty and free service

How is the offer guys, I have almost taken it, but need ur last minute opinion

Wagon R 2006 model seems Okay at 2.3L, but since its MSTV, it sounds like a good deal. Hence, kindly make the final checks along with a mechanic and also check insurance details thoroughly. Eg: Check if No Claim Bonus exists in the insurance papers, as it reveals zero or little accidental damage till date.

Just to let you all know, the Wagon R deal fell-off as we preferred a power steering model, for parking at our congested street

Now, I have an offer for

Hyundai Getz 1.3 GL model

Year of purchase: 2005 , 25000 Kms done

Price: 2.25 Lacs net

is it a good deal, more importantly, is it a good car to invest on

Please reply at earliest

Back