First dSLR

vb86

Adept
I read some photography articles online occasionally. Off late, I've been reading quite a bit which includes basic stuff too like what iso, shutter speed, aperture, histogram, priority settings, etc do. I find it very enjoyable. The only issue is that while I do enjoy reading and seeing what changes each setting can make, I can't really put it all this to practical use. My current camera is a Nikon Coolpix 5900 which isn't exactly very capable. I've been wanting to buy a dSLR for a while and now im thinking of going ahead with it.

I will either purchase it abroad or from the grey market since the price difference between te grey market and with warranty cameras in India is huge.

Although many of you might not agree with me on this, I have decided to stick to either Canon or Nikon. Amongst the Nikon range, I have been particularly inclined towards the D90 and D300 whereas within the Canon range, the options are limited to 500D or 50D. The 50D and D300 seem to be out of budget though and the D90 seems to be a better bet compared to the 500D.

In terms of lenses, does any company hold an advantage in terms of quality and range? Should I go for a kit lens or just buy the body with some other lens? The thing is, the brand i choose right now will be the one I end up with as I'll be buying lenses occasionaly. Another issue regarding lenses is the compatibility with higher end cameras within the same brand. How does that work? I know the D90 has a DX format which seems to be their crop sensor format. They also have the high end FX format which seems like their full frame cameras. If I ever move to a high end camera, will I be able to use the lenses? How does this work with Canon? If iI buy a 500D today, I might want to shift to a 5D mark II or something later. How does the lens compatibility work?

I might be able to source my camera from Singapore too. Is it worth looking at that or should I find a source in the US? The easiest would be to buy from the grey market here though.

Eagerly awaiting your inputs.
Thanks.

Hi VB,

Looks like you've got most of your bases covered through good, strong research. You've already taken the best judgement call - decided against going with a entry-level Nikon, which don't have in-body drive motors. :)

In fact, you've narrowed down on the two best mid to entry-level cameras out there. The 500D offers HD video recording, AF motor, all the features of the 50D minus the burst-rate shooting speed, the build quality and some of the more pro features. The D90 offers solid build, all the pro features, great ergonomics, wireless flash system but the video mode is a generation older than the 500D.

To me, the D90 is in a different class as compared to the 500D. And is the camera to go for. The video recording in both cameras is still a new feature and not up to the standards of compacts or camcorders - lack of AF and slow contrast-detect AF. If video's your key concern, then the Panasonic GH1 is the ultimate tool right now. Apart from that, the D90 is the better camera - lower-noise (albeit marginal), faster continuous speed, much better body (2 dials as well) and basically a different level of camera. :)

What are the prices you're getting them for in India? I see the D90 going for Rs.66k with the 18-105 lens in reputed eBay stores, whereas the 500D will be available for around Rs.56k with the 18-55IS kitlens. That's a 10k difference too. Post these details as well as where u plan to get them from.

I'd suggest taking the camera in India only - warranty is a big deal for a high-ticket purchase like this.
Happy shooting!
Payne

[QUOTE\]
Although many of you might not agree with me on this, I have decided to stick to either Canon or Nikon.[/QUOTE]

i think ull find only the canikon crowd to be a majority in india,hence,go with the crowd.
also,a d90 seems over kill to me for a beginner,is wat i can say about my limited knowledge of nikons.
a cousin of mine,first time shooter,got the canon 1000d and had no issues picking it up.
i think the main thing to remember is wat system u wanna stick to,u cant keep changing systems for a DSLR.(u could if u had all the money in the world)

thanks all of you..

@d.payne - yes, ive always prefered the d90 to the 500d. if i do buy it from a store abroad - say singapore or the us with warranty, can i claim it here? 60k is a little steep.

-D.Payne- said:
Hi VB,
What are the prices you're getting them for in India? I see the D90 going for Rs.66k with the 18-105 lens in reputed eBay stores, whereas the 500D will be available for around Rs.56k with the 18-55IS kitlens. That's a 10k difference too. Post these details as well as where u plan to get them from.
Happy shooting!
Payne
But MRP for 500D with kit lens even in the Canon website is only INR 52,995.00!

EOS 500D Kit EF-S 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 IS - Digital Cameras - Canon India

vb86 said:
thanks all of you..

@d.payne - yes, ive always prefered the d90 to the 500d. if i do buy it from a store abroad - say singapore or the us with warranty, can i claim it here? 60k is a little steep.

well i dont think u can claim warranty in india.but i too prefer the nikon D90 has a better grip.eos 500d has the same body as the older 450d,also the nikon D90 has a better viewfinder.

also about using DX lens in FX format camera like D300 as u can use them,but the light hitting the sensor will occupy only the APS-C size part of the full frame sensor.

im going nuts between the 2 myself...wanna buy a good camera this week and im fully split 50/50 .. lol

but im kinda siding with canon .. its just the video that's why.

As cameras they are both awesome.. i love my 450D and my friends D90 is awesome as well considering i have used it loads more than him.. lol and i quite like it..

hopefully ill make up my mind soon.. but whatever happens ill keep you guys posted. :)

cheers guys..

if you are a beginner to DSLR's i would suggest the Nikon D40...its retails for around 30k with a fantastic kit body lens. its small in size, easy to use and best thing is you can spend more money on the lenses...remember, lenses have a longer lifetimes than the cameras...and spend a bit on the filters and strap and maybe a good tripod/flash

expensive cameras sounds good when sounding off to friends and acquaintances, but if you are really planning on using it on a regular basis, then nothing beats the D40 for ease of use...you dont need an expensive camera to take great photographs!

but if you can afford to spend nearly double the amt, sure D90 or the D700 is better (D90 does the same things as D300)

and please...who cares about videos on a DSLR? its meant for taking still photos...anway check out DPreview for their buying DSLR guide.

^^ i don't care about the video feature and haven't taken it into consideration either.. its more a marketing gimmick than anything. the 500d does 1080p at 20fps while there is a 5min limit per video on the d90 which is at 720p. if video is a concern, then one should go for a camcorder.

@ toolius - the 450d is very capable in itself. why would you want to upgrade to a 500d? if you feel that you need an upgrade, then the minimm you should be looking at is a 50d.

Ok, now we're talking specifics!

1. As already mentioned, if you have the monies try to avoid the D40/D60/D5000 since the older Nikon primes will not autofocus with any of these bodies. The new AF-S lenses will, but you'll miss out on autofocus on a long line of affordable quality lenses.

2. The D90 is a far better build and has a brighter, larger viewfinder than any entry-level model (Canon 500D, Nikon D5000, Sony A300/350, Pentax...you name it). The viewfinder is a sheer joy to use on the D90, I've worked a lot with the D80 in its time. :)

3. @other posters: Video is still in its nascent stages in both the cameras. Unless used creatively in limited shots, both the cameras suffer from jiggly figures during motion and action shots. A BIG turn-off for normal video.

4. Beginner or enthusiast, the D90 is just as complex as a 1000D or a 500D. This is a long-term investment as everyone has said, and entry-level models will have u wanting the missing features very soon (spot metering, exposure bracketing, faster continuous shooting...you name it).

Vb86, what is your budget exactly?

Cheers!
Payne

blackheart2925 said:
if you are a beginner to DSLR's i would suggest the Nikon D40...its retails for around 30k with a fantastic kit body lens. its small in size, easy to use and best thing is you can spend more money on the lenses...remember, lenses have a longer lifetimes than the cameras...and spend a bit on the filters and strap and maybe a good tripod/flash
well why spend so much on d40 when u can get the sony A200 for a far cheaper price and is better.for a beginner the upcoming A230 is better

@TechHead: Wow! Dude, I'll be the first one to run to Fort if old Minolta lenses are available locally for cheap! I already have the popular 50 f1.7 and would love some good bargain buys.

Any specific shops I ought to look out for? And what lenses have you seen going around? I have a 18-250 Sony, 17-50 f2.8 Tamron and a 50 1.7. :)

Cheers!
Payne

PS: Sorry vb86 for the OT post. :)

Back