PC Peripherals First time assembly... PC turns on then off after a second.

Santa Maria!

Disciple
Yeah... I don't know what I screwed up...

I turn the power on, then for like a second, the fans spin (CPU, case & PSU fans)... just for a second... and all of them stop.

I currently have connected:

Gigabyte Gigabyte GA-A55M-S2V

AMD A6-3650

GSkill Ripjaws X 4GB @ 1600

Corsair CX430v2.

Cooler Master 310 Elite cabinet.

Haven't connected any drives yet... but it should still work right?

My first doubt is that the motherboard accepts a 4-pin 12V supplemental power supply. The CX430v2 seems to have a 4+4 connector?

I connected half of the 4+4 pin thingy (the half labeled 12V CTS or something) to the motherboard... it fits in nicely, but am I doing it right?

The other half is labeled with 'G'.

overview.jpg

close_up12v.jpg

That was the initial orientation... have tried to switch it around as well... (in the pic, the 4+4's half labeled '12' is connected to the board... though I realized that the holes don't match, but fits easily. I also tried the other half.. labeled 'G', but same issue.

Oh? >_>

Isn't it supposed to at least go to boot screen without drives or such?

Tried attaching the HDD, but still same thing.

Also, for that 1 second, the CPU fan spins in a counter-clockwise direction. The label on the heatsink shows a clockwise rotation?

Does this mean anything?

test the psu. remove all psu connection cables from mobo first.

Disconnect everything from your PSU except for one single fan that should be connected directly to one of the Molex connectors. Then, get a small piece of wire, paper clip, or suitable object and short the green pin and a black pin on the 24-pin connector on the power supply. The voltage present is a very low signaling voltage so no worries of being shocked. Your PSUs fan should spin along with the fan you have connected to it. If this is the case, your PSU may not be receiving the power on signal from your motherboard and you should consider other causes of the problem you’re having.

Source: Corsair Support

if psu is not faulty, then.

check if psu is set to 220/230v. there might be small switch at back of psu for this.

test the connections to mobo from start. split the 4+4 cables (they come apart if pulled) and connect the right one to the mobo (see the manual for voltages and orientation).

check orientation of cpu fan cable.

Happened to me 2 years back. It was because of loose external A/c socket. Don't forget to check that too.. (Sounds like PSU probs or wrong fan connection. but still.. you might want to double check all power connections)

x____x

I think it's working. A number of things could have been wrong.

I took everything out and tried an 'outside' setup first.

First, I took out the RAM and put it in the 2nd slot (DDR_1 as opposed to DDR_0). Maybe it wasn't seated properly before.

More importantly, I stuck to using the 'G' labeled half of the 4+4 connector.. which had matching heads with the MoBo ATX_12V port. At first I had separated the 4+4 connector into 2 halves, but now I tried a few times with it stuck to its other half and plugging it in as such (label G was connected, label 12V was not).

This seemed to do the trick.. maybe it was a loose connection.

Anyway, later I was also connecting the CM Elite 310 rear fan into the MoBo... this led to the same initial problem. I later realized that while the fan's connector was a 3 pin thingy (MoBo had 4), I had initially took out the Molex plug connector that the fan's 3 pin was connected to when I first opened the cabinet's box.

I put this molex connector back on and connected it directly to the PSU's molex thingy.

Voila, stuff worked.

Another possible cause... and I hope not... is that I rather messily screwed in a MoBo standoff and later when screwing in the MoBo via another screw... it's now stuck permanently to the standoff and when unscrewing, the standoff rotates as well.

Hope this wasn't causing some shorting in my initial attempts... hope it won't randomly act up again if it did.

So... that's that. Many nubbish mistakes, but it's looking okay now I think.

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys
<

Back