Car & Bike First time biker ...How do I go about it?

eggman

Adept
Hi Guys

Here's my situation.

->My friends have taught me how to ride bikes , so I have some experience of how to ride one. But no road experience and it was 2 years ago.

So anyway, I've enrolled into a driving school.
It's a 10 hours course , so by the end of it I think I should get some hang of it.

How do I go about it after the course?

-> Which bike should I buy, something which is easier for first time rider?
I don't wanna buy a 2nd hand.

-> I'll be getting my LL tomorrow.
When should I buy a bike?
After the course, or should I go ahead and book one now?

->How do I practice after the course?
It's not possible for me to get a pavilion rider with DL .
Is it safe to practice in roads, and avoid the main road?

-> I know it's subjective, but how hard is the leaning curve(no pun intended)?
How many hours should one practice before he is confident of riding in main traffic, specially Bangalore traffic.

Thanks for your inputs.

My first bike is Pulsar P220 and I learnt to ride on it... Just for a night got my friends pulsar 180 to practice gear n clutch engagement and from the next day started practicing on my bike (Inside society premises ha)... Used to drive Dio before...

Just practice it for few days by yourself and you'll be good to go; just keep tab on speed... I took it out in city after 15 days !

I feel bikes with better handling are infact quicker to learn compared to 100-125cc class...

If your budget permits, look out for R15 / KTM Duke... Light n quick !

I had the same trouble exactly 4 years ago. I was a total n00b about bikes and still I ordered a FZ16. :p
My friend told me the basics - and I took the bike to the highway in early morning for 7/8 days before I was confident enough to go to city traffic.
(btw, I was in Mysore those days and traffic there is minimal)

So, don't worry dude - if you know how to brake you are fine to go. :)
remember to keep an eye on the rear view mirror - starters normally forget about that.

-> Which bike should I buy, something which is easier for first time rider?
Every bike is the same. Get the one suits your need - budget/looks/mileage etc. Unicorn/FZ series - recommended in 150cc. Pulsar 135 in lower segment or R15V2, p200, CBR150 in higher segments.

-> I'll be getting my LL tomorrow.
When should I buy a bike?
After the course, or should I go ahead and book one now?

Dude, book now. Normally its takes few days to get delivered.

->How do I practice after the course?
It's not possible for me to get a pavilion rider with DL .
Is it safe to practice in roads, and avoid the main road?

Start early morning - on less busy roads. Lookout for auto drivers - they are the worst moving thing in any Indian city.

-> I know it's subjective, but how hard is the leaning curve(no pun intended)?
How many hours should one practice before he is confident of riding in main traffic, specially Bangalore traffic.

Confidence comes from within. There's no meter for that. Ride the bike for some time starting lesser traffic to medium - see how you can handle the bike.

Thanks guys for the input.

Is it true that I need to have a pavilion rider with a DL?

What if I'm caught without one during LL days?

[1] Get a good quality helmet - splurge on it and some safety gear like gloves/etc - these make a difference between life and death
[2] Get a decent bike to learn the basics - the Pulsar 135 / Honda Unicorn (not the dazzler)

Answers in BOLD
Is it true that I need to have a pavilion(pillion) rider with a DL? Yes its mandatory. You can practice within your colony without a pillion

What if I'm caught without one during LL days? You will be fined :p

As suggested by many, get a bike which fits in your budget. Can you specify your budget here?

My suggestion: if you are a new rider. take a destination which is around 50km one way on the highway outside the city. ride at a top speed which is comfortable to you. I would not suggest more than 60kmph. once you get a hang of your bike, it would be easy for you to ride in the traffic.

The uniform is helmet-shoes-jeans-gloves-jacket (in that order)

the most important step is to learn braking, incorrectly braking might just cause your bike to skid and can turn fatal if a vehicle runs over. just like it is said, trekkjng down is difficult than climbing up, landing is difficult than take off, same goes for braking.

when you get your new bike, on a empty road, learn braking, first at slow speeds and then at slightly higher speeds. see how how bike reacts and learn adjusting accordingly. once you are start taking it on road, consciously do the same to develop a habit.

i cant stress more on the importance braking, due to the way people drive in our cities, you need to learn how to react and practice consciously and develop a habit of braking correctly so when u have to brake in emergency, you do it right and don't fall off or panic.

Go for a Unicorn....Drive early morning and late at night...gradually you will get the confidence....Keep control on sudden break and always use mirror...Respect traffic rules...drive respectfully on the road....Enjoy the ride...

I will suggest you Get an unicorn... I faced the same situation 3 months ago... so smooth and perfect, It is like a 150 cc splendour(Both good way and bad way).. so If you want a sporty bike you might consider FZ-S
I wont suggest the pulsar range. The engine and more importantly the gear box are no match for Honda/Yamaha/HH. And when you are taking baby steps, I feel gear box and Brakes are the thing to consider...

Find the lightest bike around, even lighter than the older scooties if you can find(not a luna :p), and just take it out for a ride on an empty road. Once you get a hang of it, get a better one. Go slow(20kmph max) for the first two months :)

Recently got a chance to drive the Unicorn and I recommend the GS150r over it(though I might be biased coz I own one). Very similar characteristics but the digital speedo and the 6th gear make it better imo. I think something like the hh passion/yamaha sz/fz would probably give better handling in city as well as pillion comfort.

Back