PC Peripherals Flash hard drive reaches 155GB

Aditya

Skilled
O M G!

BITMICRO showed off a 155GB Ultra 320 SCSI solid state hard drive at a military show here in London.

The E-Disk 3S320 will operate at temperatures between -60° Celsius to over 95° Celsius, said the company.

The 3.5-inch drive comes with either a half pitch DB68 or a SCA-2 ANSI compliant connector, and has access times of 42 microsecond, read-write rate of 44MB/s maximum and burst RW rate of 320MB/sec maximum.

Operating systems supported include Linux, Solaris, Windows, MacOS, LynxOS, AIX, FreeBSD, HP/UX. IRIX, NetBSD, OS/2, QNX, VxWorks, Unixware, Solaris X86 and Tru64.

The military class drive is suitable for scientific missions and reconnaissance flights, and no doubt it carries a hefty price tag. But it does show the shape of things to come, if Samsung and others have their way.

Source

The E-Disk 3S320 will operate at temperatures between -60° Celsius to over 95° Celsius, said the company

Oh, how much does a normal temperature at which SATA hard disc operate at.

saiyan said:
Oh, how much does a normal temperature at which SATA hard disc operate at.

Most recommendations I have come across have been - below 45C is safe long time use - the upper limit is 55C ....above this and the drive may go to Drive Heaven.

I have managed to keep my drives around the mid 30's C

Remember reading somewhere that prices for flash based hard disks tend to be roughly around 0.5$ per MB. So, could be as much as 75,000$!

Also interestingly, this drive claims a MTBF of 2 Million Hours. Considering Flash memory can generally handle about 100,000 Read/Write operations, the time seems rather long. However further reading shows they have their own patented "Wear levelling technology" that uses a combination of features like spreading the areas where data is written to on the disk's flash based memory, flash memory "scrubbing", etc - all this extends the drive data life.

Back