Flaw in Ebay's paisapay guarantee

crg

Recruit
Hope this helps.

Bought an expensive tablet (new) on Ebay recently from a company-authorized dealer.
Started having multiple problems out-of-the box. Filed a claim with Ebay and to my surprise, it was rejected since
"Technical defects in products which have a valid manufacturer warranty"
are not covered.

So, sellers can get rid off all sorts of lemons (but still under warranty) and the buyers are out-of-luck.

Well, if the package is sent to you in sealed condition and has proper warranty, I do not think it is sellers responsibility to provide a replacement. Same is the case if you buy from a shop, isn't it ??

Well, if the package is sent to you in sealed condition and has proper warranty, I do not think it is sellers responsibility to provide a replacement. Same is the case if you buy from a shop, isn't it ??

How does he get money-back or the unit serviced then...?

PaisaPay is only to ensure seller does not send a fake item/does not deliver item at all. If you have a proper invoice, then take it to the authorized service center.

So, sellers can get rid off all sorts of lemons (but still under warranty) and the buyers are out-of-luck.

If the item is sealed, how can a seller know if it's a lemon or not? And how are buyers out of luck if the item is still in warranty?

1. Reputed online and physical stores allow you to return new, sealed items with problems. After all, a dealer has more clout with the distributor/manufacturer than the customer.
2. How do you prove that the item was not sealed?
3. Some products do not have a factory seal--like the tablet I got. My new Moto G did not have a factory seal!. I am not sure there is any way to figure out in advance whether a product comes with a factory seal.
4. When modern electronic items have out-of-the-box problems, they tend to have problems though out their life.
5. The guarantee does not require manufacturer sealed items: "only products with manufacturer warranty."

My post was meant for those who do not want to run around repairing a new item with problems.
If you are happy repairing new items, please ignore my post.

1. Reputed online and physical stores allow you to return new, sealed items with problems. After all, a dealer has more clout with the distributor/manufacturer than the customer.
But the seller holds no responsibility whatsoever if a product is faulty OOB. There may be stores which takes back new faulty products but that is because they are big shops with high profit margin & resources that can handle such issues. Most sellers on ebay are small sellers operating from home, so not viable for them.
2. How do you prove that the item was not sealed?
3. Some products do not have a factory seal--like the tablet I got. My new Moto G did not have a factory seal!. I am not sure there is any way to figure out in advance whether a product comes with a factory seal.
Well, I have never bought mobile or tabs online but even if I ever buy, I will only buy factory sealed ones. Most sellers do mention in their description that the box is factory sealed. It is better to ask the seller before buying if it is factory sealed or not. Steer clear from non-sealed ones. Nobody knows how many hands the item might have exchanged.

4. When modern electronic items have out-of-the-box problems, they tend to have problems though out their life.
5. The guarantee does not require manufacturer sealed items: "only products with manufacturer warranty."
My post was meant for those who do not want to run around repairing a new item with problems.
If you are happy repairing new items, please ignore my post.
I agree but it is sheer bad luck if you get problems with a product that is OOB. It has happened with some of my friends. But then it is the job of the service center to handle such issues.

In most physical stores , you usually check the mobile at the store before buying and if its dead out of the box dealer wont force you to buy it . Almost every product has a DOA replacement / refund warranty .

It would be unfair to the buyer /customer if he gets a non functioning unit out of the box and the retailer asks him to go to service centre for service / replacement . In such case what if the service centre only repairs it or gives a refurbished unit ? Customer ends up paying full price for a repaired / refurb unit ? Makes no sense .

Having said that I have found eBay guarantee claims to be usually pro-buyer .Talk to the CC representative and seller nicely , make them understand your case and I am sure you will get a refund or replacement.

Most of these Customer care guys are just call centre employees , some really young college kids with lack of logic and thinking ability and all they do is try to follow what comes up on their screen / the manual that is provided to them .So you may have to request for another representative / escalation of your case to sort things out .

I know a few guys who work for eBay CC and Ive heard some crazy stories of case settlements :p

^^ Having "multiple issues" as per OP, is not equivalent to DOA. If your're buying from a store, do you check every function of a phone - wifi, bluetooth, etc. at the moment ?? If certain fault occurs after getting the product home, then it has to be taken to the service center.
If the product was DOA, I think ebay would've replaced it.
Regarding repair/refurbishment, it is up to the manufacturer's policies. Most manufacturers would provide a replacement if a brand new phone has serious faults. I do not understand how the seller is responsible for the manufacturer's service policies.

I have had sellers on ebay lie outright to me, more than once. In fact I stopped buying on ebay for several years. Came back and got a problem right on the second purchase. Now, off ebay for all big-ticket items.
The responsibility of the seller comes from the fact that he/she is selling a product. That imposes some requirements: some common sense, some good business and some legal.

pauldmps: Are you an ebay seller?

My point is that buyers should be aware of this catch: if you buy a product on Ebay with manufacturer's warranty and it has out-of-box problems, you are out-of-luck.

I have had sellers on ebay lie outright to me, more than once. In fact I stopped buying on ebay for several years. Came back and got a problem right on the second purchase. Now, off ebay for all big-ticket items.
The responsibility of the seller comes from the fact that he/she is selling a product. That imposes some requirements: some common sense, some good business and some legal.

pauldmps: Are you an ebay seller?

My point is that buyers should be aware of this catch: if you buy a product on Ebay with manufacturer's warranty and it has out-of-box problems, you are out-of-luck.

The seller is at fault. Leave negative/neutral feedback for the seller because he is not ready to take back a faulty item. Most reputed sellers do.

I had once bought a laptop charger from ebay.I wanted the laptop charger to have 'L' shaped jack as was shown in the figure but they sent me a charger with straight jack(like the one which came with the laptop)and ebay refunded me the whole money and I did not have to return the charger. So I got a free charger!! :D

Hell no! I even don't know how to put items for sale on ebay. Its just I never had any bad experiences with ebay. I must say the site maintains very strict standard compared to other sites like snapdeal.
On this, I have to disagree with you strongly--ebay and very strict standards do not go together.
I put in a claim, they tried calling once and just denied the claim--all in less than 24 hours.
No emailing, no asking for clarifications, no response to emails asking for clarification.

I just wanted to ask you, that whether you would have agreed to the seller opening the seal and checking the product for DOA before shipping it. I think not.
The thing is their prices are very competitive and that's the reason you would buy from them and not go to a local store. If they were to start accepting returns for products with faults they will lose a lot of money due to shipping charges. You want a sealed product and you want a guarantee that it works properly. How can a reseller provide that even when manufacturers don't do that. Every company has their own service policies and most of them will replace a DOA product. You are expecting a brick-and-mortar store experience from an online store and sorry to say that is not gonna happen due to the difference in margins at which they operate.

^ This item does not come with a factory seal--so your argument is moot.
For other points you raised, I addressed it in earlier posts.

Back