Flipkart...Could be Indian Amazon ?

Yesterday i was searching for toner of my printer
Tn2280
Flipkart has it at 4300
I called up brother dealers,prices quoted was far better with actual dealers.
3500 was best quotes and this was on phone.
Better pricing if we visit dealer.

I had read somewhere that FK is going the ebay way by allowing external sellers to use FK as a platform to sell their stuff.

Most online retailers are going that way to increase product assortment "exponentially" by just fulfilment of orders. If they don't hop on to the bandwagon they will get left out very quickly. Everybody knows that Tablets are the biggest sellers and speciality retailers are selling them too.

The margin is not that great and bulk selling, up-selling brings in the profits. Which means either have stocks replenished at all times or have more than one category bundled with another. We all know why Laptops are cheap in the US. Retailers lose money on the Hardware and make money through selling software or warranty plans or other bundled items.

Google shopping and Bing shopping have created another platform for search shopping if I may use the term. Speciality doesn't work unless you are a brand like Nike or Victoria's Secret.

We know these strategies come from the US. What about Best Buy, Staples, Target, Walmart, Newegg? Do they have their own warehouses for everything? I'm just asking I don't know how they procure and full fill orders.

As far as Product descriptions, Pricing and Availability go their systems are probably supported poorly, I work for a major US retailer and these issues are an everyday pain for Retailers because applications are poorly written and poorly maintained and are simply not robust or scalable.

I don't know how many of them are running on cutting edge technology or the latest systems. Amazon, Google probably yes Flipkart I don't think so, rather don't know so. They probably invest more in analytics etc at least the job openings seem to suggest so likewise for EBay.

They really should, it's not all that difficult to implement again having piloted it for one retailer in the US. But who takes the initiative to display product info in this case? Does google India pitch to EBay India and Flipkart or vice Versa, no idea.

Flipkart is going the ebay way, but in a different way!
It's adapted the market place model, wherein sellers can directly list their items something like tradus and Shopclues.
The only difference is that rest of the players on the market use 3rd party logistic providers, and flipkart uses it home grown e-kart services with insurance to all the sellers and buyers.

Flipkart is going the ebay way, but in a different way!
It's adapted the market place model, wherein sellers can directly list their items something like tradus and Shopclues.
The only difference is that rest of the players on the market use 3rd party logistic providers, and flipkart uses it home grown e-kart services with insurance to all the sellers and buyers.
IMO, having ones own logistics doesnt make any difference or ensure any feature in itself.. All that matters is how flipkart cope with the all times issues of geniune selling and complaint management. If they can do this well, they succeed over ebays and other vendors.

Yea, they are doing good, bought few books from them, service is very nice.

There is one more - infibeam, there service are better then flipcart, especially in case of shipping :)
i think shipping of infibeam is not better then flipkart all of my package from infibeam delivered after one week but flipkart delivered all item within two or three days

Did anyone actually purchased from other sellers at Flipkart other than WSRETAIL(flipkart)?
From day of its launch none of the products Except iphone(flpkt doesn't sell it) i did not see any seller selling products cheaper than Flpkt.

and the owner of flipkart says:
Marketplace was an experiment that’s taken off better than what we expected. We have more than 500 sellers and some of them are even facing supply chain issues now. Some of them are getting to 1000s of shipments a day at peak. We are working with them to solve that. We are at an early stage.

http://www.nextbigwhat.com/sachin-bansal-flipkart-long-term-plans-297/
you know flipkart products are pricey than other etailers, I don't understand how they buy from their sellers who have high price and Late delivery time??? o_O

They just picked up a huge funding.

Total Funding reported to be around 1700 crores. Recent was Huge around 1250 crore.

@6pack, Initial funding? with their own 4lakh or the first investor??[DOUBLEPOST=1373524257][/DOUBLEPOST]no one answered my question. How many of you bought Products from their sellers?

Last edited by a moderator:
Total Funding reported to be around 1700 crores. Recent was Huge around 1250 crore.

@6pack, Initial funding? with their own 4lakh or the first investor??[DOUBLEPOST=1373524257][/DOUBLEPOST]no one answered my question. How many of you bought Products from their sellers?

I meant, fk being a loss making unit, who and why would any one invest more money in them.

I didn't buy from the other seller's since they don't ship to my place apparently. Plus their prices and delivery time are too high compared to ws retail. Funny thing is ITwares is one of their sellers and he used to ship to my place years back. Now on fk site it says seller does not ship to my pin code. Lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
^ They're investing in the hope that once FK achieves dominance in the sector, it will start making huge profits/allow them to exit their investment in the black.

Even Amazon was (and is -- if I'm not wrong) loss making, but investors caused it's stock price to rocket in the hope of future profits.

Back