Flipkart to shut down website by April 2016 and Migrate to App

Guys its only about shutting down their mobile version of website, since if you are on a mobile version you better use the App. Its not planning to close the www version at all, Nobody read the very first line of the news, its very clear there. And its logical too since mobile browsing is very unorganised as there are a lot of proprietary browsers available which do not match the standards as they want to show theirs on the App, if you are on a mobile device.

Guys its only about shutting down their mobile version of website, since if you are on a mobile version you better use the App. Its not planning to close the www version at all, Nobody read the very first line of the news, its very clear there. And its logical too since mobile browsing is very unorganised as there are a lot of proprietary browsers available which do not match the standards as they want to show theirs on the App, if you are on a mobile device.

Flipkart was considering shutting its mobile site as well as its desktop-based website

Myntra Desktop website is going to shut down in 6 months, followed by Flipkart.
They want you to show ADS and earn money through it (Proves with the recent acquisition of a AdIQuity -Mobile Ad agency). You wouldn't have Ad blocker then like on Desktops?
How are you not getting this?

Last edited:
For t

For that you need root in most cases and how many people know about rooting let alone have a rooted phone?
most of my firends who own a xiaomi brought from flipkart are on custom roms. earlier because of fear of chinese servers spying and later finding out that miui is memory hog.
So its catching on.

This whole offer thing is a test run to see the response if they went mobile only. One of the reasons people were been given to go all mobile the amount of data being served in desktop vs mobile browser.
If one was to look carefully you will quite a lot companies pushing this. Lot of them are running "app only" offers.
When you are a company the size of Flipkart, data cost is mere like spare change. Its not even a factor.

The reason is that its less effort to support apps and secondly you can monitor and dictate the experience precisely. Along with more detailed analytics and stuff.

And last but most importantly, Ads. Flipkart said Ads have become a very important segment for them. Adblocker on browsers not much on mobiles :)

Are they pulling ideas out of their as*?, I will never use an app for online shopping, I find it cumbersome. Only such app I've installed on my phone is Paytm, because I use it regularly.
Android Firefox users can use ublock to block adds.

Their mobile app is bad on utilizing the app data cache. The app keeps downloading the images again and again. Rather frustrating experience on a 2G & 3G connection. Maybe their app team uses a 100Mb UL connection to do testing. So many frequent timeouts and connection errors even when the app is downloading content in the background. Horrible.

On a side note, their mobile site automatically opens the FlipKart app installed in my phone when I go to FK from Google search. Does this happen to you people too?

Myntra Desktop website is going to shut down in 6 months, followed by Flipkart.
They want you to show ADS and earn money through it (Proves with the recent acquisition of a AdIQuity -Mobile Ad agency). You wouldn't have Ad blocker then like on Desktops?
How are you not getting this?
Well you do have adblock plus on mobiles too. https://adblockplus.org/en/android-install
It was there on play store not sure why it was removed. But thing is no root required if you are above 3.1

Their mobile app is bad on utilizing the app data cache. The app keeps downloading the images again and again. Rather frustrating experience on a 2G & 3G connection. Maybe their app team uses a 100Mb UL connection to do testing. So many frequent timeouts and connection errors even when the app is downloading content in the background. Horrible.

On a side note, their mobile site automatically opens the FlipKart app installed in my phone when I go to FK from Google search. Does this happen to you people too?
On chrome mobile I get the popup window and forces me to open the app but doesn't automatically open it and if I use "request desktop site" I'm still able to open the site from Android chrome itself.

I tried chrome (an older version). It takes me to the site and give me the option. Updated firefox browser automatically open the app.

It's actually feature of OS/phone. Not really related to app. You can specify certain types of URLs can be opened in certain apps. If app is not installed, then App Store will opened to install it.

Hamre iOS mein vaise app nahi hai saar. ;)
Saar aap iOS use karte ho?

Jailbreak it, install adblock :p

Well, it would be violation of net neutrality if Flipkart starts getting preferential treatment or their competition discriminated against.

From what I can see so far, Flipkart is paying so that the customers can use either app without incurring bandwidth costs. A customer without an internet pack on his mobile might be able to use the flipkart app because of this arrangement.

Back