Security Software Folders became after installing antivirus !

prince_20003

Disciple
Sep 5, 2009
Dear all,

My PC & other portable devices (Pen Drives, HDD, etc) had been infected with virus, malwares, etc.

I tool all backup in my 1 TB Potable HDD . That time all the folders which were on root directory of 1 TB HDD were appearing as shortcuts ( i guess this was due to some virus).

I formatted the system & then installed KIS 2012 and scanned the whole 1 TB HDD. But now problem is that all those folders on root directory are invisible .

They are just invisible , but data is there. Because when i typed complete path of one such missing folder (on root directory ) in explorer i can see the files of that particular folder.

How can i make all those folders visible again ??

Thanks in advance..

Mr.J

Skilled
Oct 26, 2010
Mumbai
It seems that your system is still infected. Use avast's boot time scan for through removal of malware.

Another reason I can think of is your folders were given attribute of 'system' folder which are normally invisible for safety reasons.

Go to folder option and enable display system folder option.

You can try 'unhide' to revert changes made to folders.

Dev's link - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic405109.html

Download link - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/anti-virus/unhide

I hope this solves your problem.

prince_20003

Disciple
Sep 5, 2009
Thanks for your reply buddy

Another reason I can think of is your folders were given attribute of 'system' folder which are normally invisible for safety reasons.

Go to folder option and enable display system folder option.

This one i tried already it doesnt work..

You are saying my PC is still infected ... hows that possible ...i just intalled new KIS 2012 ..updated it and then scanned ....

My only worry now is that during this all experimentation i should not loose any of those folder...
cry.gif

Is there any possibility of folders being deleted during bleepingc scan ?

Mr.J

Skilled
Oct 26, 2010
Mumbai
Unhide is not antivirus, it is more like tool which restores changes made to folders by malwares, changes which remain even after system is disinfected. So you won't lose your data.

Apr 25, 2010
When your computer got infected initially, the attriutes of the folders in the HDD were changed to hidden,system and probably some exe's would also have been created with the names of the folders

For a temporary solution,

Go to folder options and use these settings:

http://snag.gy/daYQa.jpg

Take care not to click on exe files, unless you know they are safe (there may be some exe files with the same icon as that of a folder)

For a permanent solution, there is a script posted somewhere on TE and many other places

CA50

Skilled
Dec 26, 2009
GraveYard
#[member='prince_20003'], use the attrib command from command prompt

Follow these steps
  • Go to Start > Run, type cmd and press [Enter]
  • type the drive letter of your backup drive. Say its D-drive, then type d: and press [Enter]
  • type attrib /s /d -r -s -h and press [Enter]
  • Depending on your datas in the backup drive, it will take some time

You can also use this method, in case of folders as well. Post if you get any problem

prince_20003

Disciple
Sep 5, 2009
Thanks all of u guys for ur support...
happy19.gif

When your computer got infected initially, the attriutes of the folders in the HDD were changed to hidden,system and probably some exe's would also have been created with the names of the folders

For a temporary solution,

Go to folder options and use these settings:

http://snag.gy/daYQa.jpg

Take care not to click on exe files, unless you know they are safe (there may be some exe files with the same icon as that of a folder)

For a permanent solution, there is a script posted somewhere on TE and many other places

Thanks akash .. that helped me ,,,atleast i can see those files on my HDD now.... but those are hidden,,,and i cant unhide those as that checkbox is greyed... what can be done for this??

can you please help me out getting that script or procedure for permanent solution ??

#[member='prince_20003'], use the attrib command from command prompt

Follow these steps
  • Go to Start > Run, type cmd and press [Enter]
  • type the drive letter of your backup drive. Say its D-drive, then type d: and press [Enter]
  • type attrib /s /d -r -s -h and press [Enter]
  • Depending on your datas in the backup drive, it will take some time

You can also use this method, in case of folders as well. Post if you get any problem

hi CA50 . . . can use this commands to unhide those folders again ??

prince_20003

Disciple
Sep 5, 2009
#[member='prince_20003'], yes mate, the above mentioned command is to unhide all the hidden files and folders.

#[member='prince_20003'] use the command CA50 posted

That should fix it

#[member='CA50'] and #[member='mehrotra.akash'] , thanks

i tried it but its giving message "NOT RESETTING SYSTEM FILE" ..(Refer attached file ...)

now what to do??

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    68 KB · Views: 138

prince_20003

Disciple
Sep 5, 2009
#[member='CA50'] . Thanks a lot.. it worked...
clapping.gif

can i now say that prob is solved??

anywaysss now i have discovered some other issues ...
cry.gif