Food security Bill

abhi1984

Disciple
I had opened a thread asking people why the INR was dropping so badly. Now day before yesterday, we heard the news of FSB being passed. And the INR, dropped some more. I didn't know what this bill actually was. So out of curiousity, I landed on the wikipedia page explaining the bill. What I read there made me shit my pants (literally). Providing food to 67% of population, is Congress trying to make this country full of bums. Who will work if thats the case? And isnt there any fishing way to stop the bill? Something like in US people can send letters to their Senators about the policies. So can we have a campaign to stop this crap of a bill?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poverty_in_India
Read the first line to find out where the ~67% figure came from.
"while 68.7% live on less than US$ 2 per day"

Perhaps you have a different idea about the general population of India. I am not trying to support Congress and the Bill also has some issues particularly concerning the expenditure and distribution/corruption. But making a statement like "trying to make this country full of bums" is utterly disrespectful of your fellow citizens who have a hand-to-mouth existence.

This might turn out to be a long argument but the food bill is exactly the wrong way to push the people out of poverty not to mention the fact that it will bankrupt our country. There are ways to go about improving the lot of our fellow countrymen but the food or rather the vote security bill is not one of them.

I agree to what @pr0ing is saying. But supporting this bill is not the way.

This country will never make it as a developed country or developed society or atleast remove the poverty 50% with things like this. We should have things like Rule of Law, Less Corruption, Police who dont expect bribe for anything and everything, People who actually respect others, Better infrastructure etc to name few.

Not take the "few" money that "few" tax payers pay and then give it to others for free. NO ****ING WAY.

I am all in for social welfare. Not when I have to pay bribe to get anything done in any offices, roads that needs mars rovers, people who bully me on roads.. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

That 67% figure is bs. Not everyone of the poor people will get this. Only those who earn less than that 23 rupees a day and who have some support of id like aadhar or bpl card will be eligible. The really poor who don't have these identification papers won't get anything.
Govt has already allocated 90000 crores to this now. Don't be surprised if in next finance bill, there will be a new tax proposed to be levied on common man, so they can service this expenditure. Most probably chiddu will do the honors since he's the best fm when it comes to increasing taxes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poverty_in_India
Read the first line to find out where the ~67% figure came from.
"while 68.7% live on less than US$ 2 per day"

Perhaps you have a different idea about the general population of India. I am not trying to support Congress and the Bill also has some issues particularly concerning the expenditure and distribution/corruption. But making a statement like "trying to make this country full of bums" is utterly disrespectful of your fellow citizens who have a hand-to-mouth existence.
Let me get this straight, so you are saying if expenditure and distribution issues are taken care of, we should give away food for free? Ok, then you are not a beliver in:
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime
I certainly am.
I read a news item about similar populist scheme being run in TN/Pondicherry. It caused a severe labour shortage as many people refuse to show for work. And that whats this scheme is going to do on a national level.
So, please dont not politicise statements. I am not saying those 70% are bums, I am saying things like this will inadventerly cause people becoming lazy (and they need not be in those 70%)

@raj_pol Maybe that's the point. They dont want people to come out of poverty and at the same time a bill like this will create a nice image for them among the common people to have a shot at winning the next elections.

That 67% figure is bs. Not everyone of the poor people will get this. Only those who earn less than that 23 rupees a day and who have some support of id like aadhar or bpl card will be eligible. The really poor who don't have these identification papers won't get anything.
Govt has already allocated 90000 crores to this now. Don't be surprised if in next finance bill, there will be a new tax proposed to be levied on common man, so they can service this expenditure. Most probably chiddu will do the honors since he's the best fm when it comes to increasing taxes.
And asking people to shut their mouths - if they complain about those taxes:
http://articles.timesofindia.indiat...617680_1_p-chidambaram-ice-cream-middle-class

Chiddu is an idiot. He could not even implement unified vat in this country. Now he wants to give it a try using the term gst.... All he cares about is to increase the tax rate.

Maybe we should remind him that apples and other fruits cost 3x the price of beer.

Peanut butter is manufactured in simla but we don't get to even see it in India. Some of the best quality peanut butter jays get exported. The are many other examples.

Food Security Bill according to estimates of economists going to cost ~1.25L Crores atleast which is nearly 10% of income of government. MNREGA was first idiotic move and now next is FSB. Both these schemes will lower productivity. "When I get Job/Money under NREGA and Food under FSB why I work hard or give that extra shot and improve ?" will be mentality of many rural folks. Last week ET had published 1 article where it mentioned the number of projects/works completed were reduced by 25% and more. Without proper distribution system in place and when food wastage is as high as 20%+ of what is produced due to lack of storage facility, FSB is a going to apply breaks on crawling Indian Economy where demand was also debt-centric and manufacturing contributes just ~25% in GDP.

Mnrega was not stupid. The corruption that ur was mired in was undoubtedly stupid... But this bill is a joke
Mnrega leads to higher labor costs as the agent wants his cut - from the business owner + the labor, both. This in turn has forced some business to cut down on hirings itself, thereby completing the circle. and I am not saying this from any newspaper source, have witnessed in first hand at my village.

Back