Budget 41-50k for development purposes

Bhoot

Recruit
I am a student currently in 3rd year. My current laptop gave up on me and am hence thinking of switching to a new one .

I intend to but one for the 2 yrs of btech and mtech too.
My basic requirements include being able to use all the IDEs (Including VS2013 , Multiple instances of VMWare , and by a stretch Hadoop) with no lagg (exclude hadoop here , i can bear with lagg in hadoop) and fast compilation(if possible) .

The Minimum Requirements hence include :
RAM:
8GB min (for hadoop , in case a hadoop supporter isn't viable , make it 4GB)
1600 MHz of RAM speed , min
Processor:
3GHz of processor on turbo , 2.6 w/o turbo (I don't care much about generation or i3/i5/i7)
28nm or lower Ivy Bridge
Support of hardware virtualization
Hard Disk:
128 GB minimum (I have a 1TB External)
Personally I prefer SSD but for some reason only ULV processors are available with it (I dont like ULV)
GPU:
For me Speed >> Size
Still minimum of 1GB would be nice
I would prefer DOS/Linux variants as I do get free win 8.1 from dreamspark (windows provides it to college students free)
Screen Size :
Irrelevant
USB Ports:
At least 1 USB 3.0
A total of at least 3 USB ports
Keyboard :
I really really want a back-lit keyboard 0_0
Company :
I am not particularly familiar with brand values right now , I'd like good after sale service though.

-------
If possible could you suggest laptps with hadoop compatibility and non-haddop compatible??
--------
If its worth it , increase the budget to 60k .
--------
Thanking you in advance

Opt for a Lenovo B series and add a mSATA+ Extra RAM + ADP to it. You get it with i5's, I dont know about i7's

@Gannu could help you out - he bought an i3 variant.

Uhm may I ask what an ADP is?? (I googled it for no useful results)
As such the b-series isnt very good for me .
Like I specified , I really dont need a large hard disk . The standard 4gigs is enough for a non hadoop system

Also , the laptop (B470 as it seems the highest configed of b series as per wikipedia) as such doesnt seem what i need at all .
its processor is low on clock speed ,
the gpu is obselete

Lastly , why would u suggest me to talk to a banned member??

The B series is business series laptops from Lenovo. The main advantage is that 1. Its cheap 2. Comes with mSATA slot 3. You can add ADP which stands for Accidental Damage Protection.

Here is some info : http://www.partnerinfo.lenovo.com/p...essential-bseries/B490-B590_WE_DS_29OCT12.pdf

The data may be outdated, but do visit a ASSC/Partner to have a look. These are usually not available in Croma and other malls. Also, if a high end GPU is needed, this may not the right machine.

Gannu is a mod - so he aint banned :p

Its just that he got fed up of the G.One taunts :p

Ahh thanx a lot
I visited the market today and the Lenovo G500 seemed gr8 . But i was reading user feedback and it seems that the laptop has problems with heating up. Any comments on that ??

Anyways , it seems wikipedia needs some updating done ... 490 and 590 seem to be gems of laptops . I just wish Ubuntu was available in India too .
May I ask how much they cost??
(I'd go with i5 2.x gigz (no turbo) and nearly 3 with turbo ,
worst windows available [ i'd uninstall it soon enough] ,
b490 , better graphic card [unsure which one] ,
b490 with 2 dmmi slots [but only 1 4gb ram so i can ungrade it later if needed , i know i m reducing read speed],
io of HM77, 320 GB 7200 rpm HDD,
b490 model overall)

Additionally may i ask about the HM77 based models − Intel® Core™ i5 ??
http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/chipsets/performance-chipsets/mobile-chipset-hm77.html
The model as per intel doesnt seem to have any processing speed specified .
Also , it seems to use RAID 0,5 and 10 . I dont understand how you can use multiple raids simulateously

Also , may i ask what the GT b4 the graphic card model number stands for??

HM77 seems to support hybrid ssd archietecture , how usefull is it ?? Going as per the Processor > Cache>RAM>HDD model , can i say it basically adds it to : processor > cache> ram > SSD>HDD ?? Also , will i need to buy the SSD externally ? if so will i be voiding the warranty to install it ??

Also why is SSD only available with ULV processors ? (Personal hater of ULV here)

Does the machine have heating problems ?? {I dont intend to buy a lappy for gaming but still , it should run some games, also i might need it for digital subject next sem}

Lastly , the vendors were quite stern on the prices going up during diwali and not down , any comments on this ??

Thanx a lot again !!

P.S how do I contact Gannu ?? there doesnt seem to be any contact link or anything on his profile page [I am really bad this way :p]

Your writing is a mess and its difficult to exactly understand what you are trying to convey.

Anyways, The G series are for consumers and not really great - I have a G580 and not too happy with it.

For the B series - please visit your nearest Lenovo ASSC - they usually will be able to put you in contact with a business partner. My ASSC in Mumbai was at Bluecom, Chembur and I was feeling pissed off at buying the G580 when there were better laptops!

You should be able to get the laptop with DOS, then its a matter of time to plunge into Linux.

Costing - ask the ASSC.

I dont think the GPU options are good - since its meant for business stuff. If thats your priority, please see whether decent GPUs are available, I dont think they are.

HM77 is the top end Ivy Bridge chipset which has RAID support. For using the mSATA as a SSD Accelerator, you need this chipset. It does not do multiple RAIDs.

Naming for nVIDIA GPUs is GT XXX where the first X is the series number, next two digits denote the placement in that series. So the best would be a GT 690M and slowest would be GT 610M.

Yes, you would need to buy a mSATA SSD. This way, you can have all three - SSD speeds with a HDD and an optical drive when you need to read/burn DVDs. Hybrid SSD architecture is using the SSD for acceleration.

SSD is mostly available with ULV and some other models, as its a premium feature, and helps in power saving too.

Heating problems - please contact @Gannu - only he can help you out as he is the only person with this device. AFAIK, he has disabled his PMs, so hope he reads this thread ;)

Another option to post in the thread he started for his B490.

Sorry for the mess , I will try to add more structure in my posts hence forth .

- As a CS student , I am quite familiar with Linux , hence not much problems there . Besides like I stated I get free win 8.1
-From the looks of it B490 seems to be the way to go for me . Thanks for the info .
-As per Gannu , it seems you may add SSD to the system w/o voiding the warranty

1. I have some awareness of the naming of GPU in NVidia series, what i wanted to know was how GTX GTxxx is different from GTX xxx . [Basically what does the GT stand for] .
2. The store manager was quick to warn me about Lenovo's bad after sale service stating that it takes 2-3 weeks for anything to be just checked.

-Thanx

Last edited:
AFAIK - GT is the normal GPUs that nVIDIA sells, GTX is more like GT Extreme - higher end cards. Thats all I know, unfortunately. Previously, they had FX, GTS monikers, those seem to be out.

Just imagine it as a PR exercise - the more the branding, the better it looks, when they can use plain vanilla branding too. They have recently re introduced the 'Ti" branding - which means a more souped up variant.

About Lenovo's ASSC, yes, it aint getting the gold standards, but it is not bad either. You could have a look at laptops from Dell and ASUS too, there is a K55 model - now I guess old, but has an i7 and a GPU - but no SSD slot, below 50K.

Back