Laptops Format Company Hardened laptop

vaibhav_1979

Market Restricted
Disciple
ok so for WFH i got a dell e5470 with 256 GB M.2 . now the purpose is over and i want to format that laptop for personal use. Deleted partition but from format/delete drivers, after that it gives a Disc Controller not found error . i have factory reset the Bios, turned off safe/secure boot, toggled UEFI/Legacy ? any solutions ?? if i remove m.2 and install os from different system will it work ?

In BIOS you should find something related to secure erase SSD. Use that to wipe the drive.
Reset the BIOS again since I don't know what you have experimented with.
Then install OS using UEFI bootable media for Win10/11.

Also as pointed out above, generally companies take back their assets unless they retired it and transferred it to you.

ok so for WFH i got a dell e5470 with 256 GB M.2 . now the purpose is over and i want to format that laptop for personal use. Deleted partition but from format/delete drivers, after that it gives a Disc Controller not found error . i have factory reset the Bios, turned off safe/secure boot, toggled UEFI/Legacy ? any solutions ?? if i remove m.2 and install os from different system will it work ?
i wish i could answer this as a technical question but cannot.
All I will say is that don't - just return the asset.

I am not sure how old you are but this is a sure fire way to get blacklisted on any subsequent background checks in the future

I am not sure how old you are but this is a sure fire way to get blacklisted on any subsequent background checks in the future
Additionally, there can be criminal charges, fines and legal action as well.

Most companies when transferring laptops to employees for personal use will not give the storage device with it or will wipe it themselves and then give it.
It's neither the employee's responsibility nor their right to do it.

Ok let my clarify , this is my personal laptop which i was using for company purpose as my company allows / encourage personal laptops (for cost cutting)as long as they are Hardened , the company (banking sector) policy is the laptop will be used only to take remote of my office system using Palo Alto Global protect only. once login with AD ID the laptop is completely locked i dont have internet access the HDD is Bitlocker encrypted . those who work in IT will get the jist of how the laptop is hardened.

Ok let my clarify , this is my personal laptop which i was using for company purpose as my company allows / encourage personal laptops (for cost cutting)as long as they are Hardened , the company (banking sector) policy is the laptop will be used only to take remote of my office system using Palo Alto Global protect only. once login with AD ID the laptop is completely locked i dont have internet access the HDD is Bitlocker encrypted . those who work in IT will get the jist of how the laptop is hardened.
Assuming you are still employed with the same company, why don't you simply approach your company to undo the hardening and return it to factory state ? And if you left, I would have thought that the same process would be part of your exit policy in any case.

Yes - but if you want to disenrol said laptop because you have got another machine / left the organisation
Then all you need to do is ask the end user support team instead of trying to break BitLocker encryption (which is practically impossible)

This was the exact policy with my company when covid hit globally in Mar 2019.. No co. was prepared with thousands of assets when covid hit.
Many of my peers had to bring in their personal laptops and and IT formats and configures it per co. policies. (else they had option to carry their allocated desktops home which was too hectic)

Slowly co. procured laptops and within some period those employees were asked to bring back their personal laptops, get it formatted, wiped and they installed the last OS and gave it back to the employee along with the allocated new co. laptop asset.

Now, employee can do anything with his personal asset.

I hope you got it!

Assuming you are still employed with the same company, why don't you simply approach your company to undo the hardening and return it to factory state ? And if you left, I would have thought that the same process would be part of your exit policy in any case.
The Laptop is formatted using the Enterprise Golden image of windows 10, they are not willing to format and give the Golden image .
This was the exact policy with my company when covid hit globally in Mar 2019.. No co. was prepared with thousands of assets when covid hit.
Many of my peers had to bring in their personal laptops and and IT formats and configures it per co. policies. (else they had option to carry their allocated desktops home which was too hectic)

Slowly co. procured laptops and within some period those employees were asked to bring back their personal laptops, get it formatted, wiped and they installed the last OS and gave it back to the employee along with the allocated new co. laptop asset.

Now, employee can do anything with his personal asset.

I hope you got it!
I checked ,the bank will not format and give there OS ...there are at least 6 departments involved in this whole Hardening process . i'd rather throw away the SSD and get new one rather than going back ....i posted here hoping some one has gone through the ordeal and may have some valuable insights

Do this.
On someone elses pc flash bootable hiren boot on a pen drive.
Use that pendrive on your laptop and format/wipe the entire disk.
You are good to go.

Back