frankmehta wants ® an Ultraportable: 12-13" Lightweight Laptop

frankmehta said:
Hi everyone, I just happened to speak to Dell today and they have NO idea about any model called the Vostro V130.

Somehow, EVERY single time I have tried to buy a product from Dell (not just this time, this has happened 3 years ago when I was interested in buying the newly launched Vostro 14, AND last year, when I was interested in picking up the Studio 17 which came on their website in India and never went on sale. This year too, I face the same problem!) I just get very turned off by the people at Dell.
I have been to the 'signature' shops where young Dell customer care 'executives' are just young college teens who are almost always hooked on to Facebook or Orkut on the display laptops at the showrooms. They don't give 2 hoots about whether you buy their products or not, but yes, they will JUMP at the first chance when they have to say NO to you for something or we can't buy something from there due to some unforeseen reason. It's been embarrassing, sometimes, when you walk in to a showroom with Rs. 50 odd k and no one cares to even ask you if they can assist you in buying something.
Even today, when I called, this person was willing to bump off an M101Z so desperately that he told me (in a hurry) that the V130 is no longer in stock. I asked again. He said, no sorry. It's out of production. Asked him to double check. Again, he said, it's outdated. Only when I mentioned the V13, he said he'll check and came back with the claim that the V130 doesn't reflect in their database. Then WHY mislead the customer into buying something you have presently rather than something he/she wants and can wait for it.
IT's not just Dell, it's almost every company in India that tries to empty their present production lines here in India without providing other more convenient choices to the customers.
I am peeved with Dell India, and I think I have exhausted my patience with them. If the V130 is not out in the next 2 weeks, I am going in for an Asus or a Lenovo or even an MSi.

Interesting. I've been closely following news of the V130 since it has replaced the V13 on my wishlist. Was also surprised to see that Dell hasn't updated their website with the price.

The V130 does have a lot going for it in the looks department but battery life is below average according to a few people at the Notebook Review Forums.

I came across these links:Tech2India ToI; according to which it is priced at 37k, almost the same as the V13 it is replacing. But no indication whether this is the one with the i3/i5/Celeron processor.

P.S Dell has the model featured on its front page but no details. :rofl:
P.P.S Please keep me updated on the V130 if possible since I will be purchasing it soon too.

The prices are just rumours, or maybe Press Release Prices for the cheapest processor, lowest specced V130. It's still worth it, though.

I wonder why Dell is just so stuck up with bringing niche models to India. We really do buy a LOT of niche stuff in India these days.

JUST a thought.

I was looking through M101Z reviews everywhere and not even one person has compared it to the V130, which is just a few dollars and a few grams and an inch larger. Why so?? Also, to be honest, that 1.7 inches of screen real estate doesn't warrant that extra 10-12 k (for a similarly specced V130 with 4 gb RAM and 7200 rpm hdd)

THINK.

I am confused!

I don't think they're not comparable. Leave aside the specs, even Dell's Inspiron 14" offer more power at a lower cost. So in the V130 you're paying for the Vostro tag and of course, the looks.

V130 - Larger screen, targeted for business users mainly wanting a sleeker look.

M101z - For those wanting something slightly larger than a netbook, competes with IdeaPad U160, Thinkpad X100e, Aspire One 721

Frank, if you aren't in a hurry i suggest you wait till january. AMD's new Bobcat processor is going to release then. Will be a very nice processor for an ultraportable.

Meanwhile im going to make you jealous with this :eek:hyeah: I picked this up from the US for $430 during black friday(possibly less if i get an additional $150 off which im supposed to get) - HP Pavilion dm3-3012nr Entertainment Notebook PC Product Specifications HP Pavilion dm3-3012nr Entertainment Notebook PC - HP Customer Care (United States - English)

Unfortunately there's a problem with the LCD screen and im going to have to send it back. Will be getting it back end january. Sigh, i guess you cant have your cake and eat it too :(

What is the custom duty on Laptop's? If not much try ordering directly from Dell US / Amazon through any mail forwarding company like borderlinx or Aramex shop and ship. Do the calculation before ordering. Also I think Dell will offer international warranty.

bigbyte said:
What is the custom duty on Laptop's? If not much try ordering directly from Dell US / Amazon through any mail forwarding company like borderlinx or Aramex shop and ship. Do the calculation before ordering. Also I think Dell will offer international warranty.
Customs on laptops is 14-15%, you will get international warranty from Dell.

Then 14-15% means the price difference between India and USA is nominal.

Besides, which company will get a customised laptop down to India for me?

You can get it through aramex i suppose. But wait till January, AMD Bobcat based laptops will be out at CES, along with Sandy bridge. Will also result in lower prices all round for older gen laptops

Oh k, will surely wait, but doesn't aramex charge $35 for first time enrollment in their ship and shop site? I tried enrolling last night and they said I need to pay $35 upfront.

Back