Free Antivirus with the lightest foot print !!

sumedhmumbai said:
i feel firewall and traffic shapping are bad use of system resources.. better buy a router to get secured :p but thats a costly way out o. using the E2140 upgrad path may turn out to be more feasible 5.7k for board+processor+ram :p

Could not really make any sense of what you are trying to say. May be i am not geek enough :ashamed:

I will tell you use of firewall, even the basic ones like Free Zone Alarm. Windows firewall is a s**t becoz it only allows for incoming filtering and outgoing. With a normal firewall you do not only hide your ports and block common threats like probes and pings but also take control of how your applications use internet connection.

For example i don't like adobe reader to connect to internet every time I logs in. If i have a firewall, i can control which applications use internet and in what manner.

Even free ones allow you to set these settings. Getting control of your computer is quite important for me and i am sad to say that I have to fight it out with likes of M$ and Adobe to gain this right. After all why should fu@*$ng WGA connect to M$ servers every time i boot my system and transfer data.

The choice is your. Do you want control of your PC or not :tongue:

@threadstarter

tell me what is the use of an AV thats just present for the sole reason that it is supposed to be an AV

u dont care about detection as u say that u are better off wit online scanners like kap. or bitdefender.

then y do u want to to install something that u arent goin to use.
the best suggestion is install something that is capable of detecting and cleaning. like nod.. cause it has a very low footprint(i mean 2.7 not 3.0)
or run off a live cd or something(linux maybe)....

btw...lookin at the security isssue mentioned..

i must give my vote to comodo free firewall..

i must say that it is very good.. and not too heavy on the resources too..
give it a try.

thixkull said:
@threadstarter

tell me what is the use of an AV thats just present for the sole reason that it is supposed to be an AV

u dont care about detection as u say that u are better off wit online scanners like kap. or bitdefender.

then y do u want to to install something that u arent goin to use.
the best suggestion is install something that is capable of detecting and cleaning. like nod.. cause it has a very low footprint(i mean 2.7 not 3.0)
or run off a live cd or something(linux maybe)....

Well you are right to ask the question but its not like i dont want to install a antivirus at all, I have seen what even simple viruses can do and hence to protect the pc from them rather then repent later.

LOL I am going to use it and its always on the taskbar ( i dont want to see the silly windows alert) and that is the reason I also asked that it should have a light footprint, ironical !!

BTW as I have mentioned in my previous post here nod32 is not free and only a trial is available.

And also with this AntiVir that Iam using now, I will using the free online scan at least thrice a week.

Hope Iam clear now and my answer satisfies your curiosity !! :D

+1 for AVG free version coz it is light and never slows the PC...
it gives enough protection and even the updates r small and fast...

JPL said:
Well you are right to ask the question but its not like i dont want to install a antivirus at all, I have seen what even simple viruses can do and hence to protect the pc from them rather then repent later.

LOL I am going to use it and its always on the taskbar ( i dont want to see the silly windows alert) and that is the reason I also asked that it should have a light footprint, ironical !!

BTW as I have mentioned in my previous post here nod32 is not free and only a trial is available.

And also with this AntiVir that Iam using now, I will using the free online scan at least thrice a week.

Hope Iam clear now and my answer satisfies your curiosity !! :D

Question of tactics.

If you are behind a NAT, which my ISP provides me then i see no need for an active AV. If i download anything, then i scan it with clamwin (passive AV), which also works with Outlook.

Rest of my mail is on email providers that have virus checkers for any attachments anyway. I use zone alarm to control any outgoing requests.

I've been virus free for several yrs now :)

there is one condition that has to be mentioned and thats...

i'm sole user of the PC, if you are sharing with anyone not very net savvy, then all bets are off. No AV will be good enough, better to get them thier own PC and firewall yourself appropriately from it.

checksum said:
+1 for Avast. Using it on my download rig with max protection, and does not slow down the system at all

if ur PC is free from virus
even then avast can detect a virus

i mean to say ki avast detects cracks as virus

was having faith on avast for a no of months but after tryinga lot camee to know ki avast detects normal files nd not malicious programs:tongue:

Naga said:
Not only Avast but many other antivir will detect cracks as virus.

they can

but i will say dat nonw of the antivirus is a worst as avast

u can go for kasp or nod

they r the antivirus on which u ppl cn trust

LOL Iam running AntiVir on My LT and now downloading Avast for my DT lemme see how they compare !!

BTW bitdefender is not free and also Kasp is very high on resources !!

Back