Free GPS Navigation for Nokia Smartphones!

torque

Recruit
Nokia is now offering free voice guided voice and pedestrian navigation for almost all its GPS enabled smartphones. I have already download the same and it work like a charm. There is also a new version of the Nokia Maps OVI navigation software which would also increase the sensitivity of the on board GPS chip considerably. My phone locks on to a satellite even inside my house!

P.S. I have download the maps for almost all the countries on my 5800 XM. Now I can go to any country and start navigating right away.

source: Now Free Navigation For Your Nokia Smartphone! | Autoholiks

A Small Q,

Say I install this on 5230 & I dont have GPRS activated.

Will it work just by locating cell phone towers or GPRS is must ?

But how will GPS find its position ? It has to come from cell phone towers right ?

If GPRS is not activated, how will it find my position on map ?

Praks said:
But how will GPS find its position ? It has to come from cell phone towers right ?

If GPRS is not activated, how will it find my position on map ?

GPRS is not required for GPS. It comes from satellites.

arun687 said:
GPRS is not required for GPS. It comes from satellites.
"GPS satellites circle the earth twice a day in a very precise orbit and transmit signal information to earth. GPS receivers take this information and use triangulation to calculate the user's exact location. Essentially, the GPS receiver compares the time a signal was transmitted by a satellite with the time it was received. The time difference tells the GPS receiver how far away the satellite is. Now, with distance measurements from a few more satellites, the receiver can determine the user's position and display it on the unit's electronic map.

GPS receiver must be locked on to the signal of at least three satellites to calculate a 2D position (latitude and longitude) and track movement. With four or more satellites in view, the receiver can determine the user's 3D position (latitude, longitude and altitude). Once the user's position has been determined, the GPS unit can calculate other information, such as speed, bearing, track, trip distance, distance to destination, sunrise and sunset time and more."
More here

Garmin | What is GPS?

guys ... i have Nokia 5233, so can i use GPS without using internet from my airtel connection ? The software is free i agree, but will it not require internet access for navigation ?

^^ No, you can use the Nokia Map Loader software to preload maps for India or any other country. If you disable internet searching for locations, Ovi Maps will then not use GPRS.

But it is still better to use GPRS as well. It makes up the "Assisted" part of A-GPS. Moreover, from what I have seen, the GPRS usage is negligible. Just reset your Data counter and turn on the GPRS and then try it. It makes the service much faster and easier to use.

Yes, with GPRS (AGPS) it is much faster and seemingly more precise. But I find google maps to be more detailed, though as of now it doesn't have voice navigation. With google map and map updating enabled, data download is not negligible. But doesn't matter to me since I am on unlimited plan. (BSNL Rs.199/-) Started using it with 5230 two days back.

janitha said:
Yes, with GPRS (AGPS) it is much faster and seemingly more precise. But I find google maps to be more detailed, though as of now it doesn't have voice navigation. With google map and map updating enabled, data download is not negligible. But doesn't matter to me since I am on unlimited plan. (BSNL Rs.199/-) Started using it with 5230 two days back.
Google maps are suitable for you with the unlimited and faster plan. people on non-3g connections are better off with ovi maps since they are stored off-line. And they actually use very little GPRS resources.

guys using ovi maps on 5800, please mention what firmware they are using? My bro is getting installation failed msg for sevaral tries on his 5800.

Thanks in advance.

Back