Free software for data recovery

Stellar and Getdataback is something I'm using since decades but unsure how freeware ver. work as they mostly only recover random files from the chunks or xyz size limit but no harm trying any of the tools..

Recuva maybe?try search for open source data recovery software

Along with this I'd also recommend PhotoRec and TestDisk.

Most of these software are intended to be used for data that was deleted. In case of issues with HDD itself, there's not much you can do.

I would second @Mr.J 's recommendations. Testdisk has saved my a** in the past in recovering files from a external usb drive. Though it is primarily meant for recovering partitions, fixing partition tables it can also do a deep scan and copy deleted files.

Everyone will have a different opinion here.
I have used Recuva and Minitool Power Data Recovery (paid I guess but I got lucky and won a giveaway on some forum) for various scenarios like deleted files, corrupted partitions and deleted partitions as well.

Sometimes it's a hit or miss but given that it's a simple accidentally deleted file and no data has been written on the disk since the delete should be very much recoverable. If data was written then chances get reduced.

You can try Disk Drill , it offers 500 MB for free ..
It was able to find the file but its not free not even 5 mb free. 45$
Along with this I'd also recommend PhotoRec and TestDisk.

Most of these software are intended to be used for data that was deleted. In case of issues with HDD itself, there's not much you can do.
This is command line based and renames files, noway to find my file out of few hundred thousand files

Last edited:
Back