Storage Solutions Freeagent GO damaged due to imapct, what to do?

unixguru

Disciple
I was walking with my trusty (served me well for nearly 2.5 years) Freeagent GO 320 GB in my pant pocket, when I slipped and fell on the floor! Thankfully, I was only shaken up, and no injuries. But, I sort of landed on the drive, and there is a visible dent on the case. It is no longer getting detected by the computer, the lights go up and then they start blinking and I cannot hear the drive spinning. I have tried different ports, computers, USB cables, OSes ans still no luck. Seagate Seatools either does not detect the drive, or even if it does none of the tests work. So most probably there is some physical damage. The data inside is all backed up. I would like to get the drive fixed/replaced, if possible. The drive has warranty till 2014, as per Seagate's website. If I go to the Seagate service centre and ask for a warranty replacement, there are two issues :-
[1]. It is immoral as I know exactly what (me!) caused the damage.
[2]. They are sure notice the dent caused by the impact, and there is no way I am going to lie.

It seems to me that the best course of action is to go to the service centre, and explain the situation, and hope they fix/replace for free. I also do not mind paying a reasonable amount ( < 500) to fix it. But, I do not want to waste my time going there for nothing. So, how is Seagate warranty in regards to cases like this? Any other thing that I can try to resurrect it? Judging by what I found on Google, it looks like either the drive is dead, or possibly the drive is alive and the connection to the casing is broken. If I open the case, I lose any chance of Seagate fixing it, so I have left that option out to when Seagate refuses to fix it. Any other thing I can try?

Back