Storage Solutions Fried HDD PCB

g2

Disciple
This is a Seagate Barracuda 500gb ST3500413AS disk.
One of the inductors on the PCB is burnt. It has some very important data I need.
I got a quote of 10k from a recovery company, which I can't do. The service center will just replace disks, they don't know anything about repairs it seems.
I am currently searching for a HDD with same model# and hopefully I can use the PCB from working disk on mine to make it work.
Can anyone suggest other options to retrieve the data?
Is there anything like this available in India http://www.onepcbsolution.com/

Junk HDDs are available at Lamington Road, Mumbai for a nominal rate of 50 to 100 Rs. If you find one with a matching pcb which doesn't appear broken/burnt your problem will be solved. If you are from Mumbai or know someone who has time to search for one you can look there.
https://maps.google.co.in/maps?q=18.961904,72.81581
There are always some vendors on the road just below the stone bridge who have the non-working PC parts like Mobo,HDD,Fans, PSU etc. Many vendors can also be found in the lanes of Lamington Rd. Look/ask for 2nd hand shops.

Another option would be to look for something which is working. Search for ST3500413AS and you'll find a few links like this.
http://www.ebay.in/itm/Seagate-Barr...n_Drives_HDD&hash=item43bf6f6158#ht_500wt_949
Confirm with the seller about the model-number, preferably ask him to mail an updated pic with some identifiable marker like a handwritten note next to the HDD so that you can confirm that it is not some random pic.

Thanks, will try some hdds from lamington.
BTW does anyone know how to fix this.
2ihb88i.jpg

In the image, the inductor in red circle is burnt. Can I just short it out and try?

You can't just short an inductor. The most you can do is to solder a similar (same rating and value) inductor onto the board.
But this also does not guarantees the scheme will work as there might be a fault somewhere up in the line.

The red circle ones are most likely 0 ohm resistors. Those are usually put in place just to act as fuses for situations like these and prevent major components from getting fried. So yes, shorting it would work, but you need to figure out why it fried in the first place or risk damaging something important. Since its on the SATA power port, it could be a faulty PSU.

The yellow circle one looks like a capacitor, but can't say.

Won't work, you're still missing a capacitor.

And I would recommend soldering in replacement 0 ohm resistors instead of directly shorting it since you haven't diagnosed the problem.

Download the service manual of your drive . Then you'll know what goes where . Search on Almighty Google :) . Then at lamington road search for that part . There you'll get it cheap .

That fried black component is an inductor. A burnt inductor is indicative of a downstream fault, not upstream. Which means there may be some deeper damage than two components might suggest. Can you get a better picture of the yellow circle. It is not clear to me what the problem in that area is.

Edit: it just occurred to me that this might be the 13.5v zener used to protect the disk from over voltage. If that is so your power supply may be unsuitable for the recovery task. FWIW I ran safely for years with a missing zener, but using a high quality Corsair PSU. An external case with a faulty PSU had burned it good, but the disk still worked when I removed it. That zener will be difficult to find in India, I bought 5 of them for $2 from ebay. You can salvage it from a dead PCB or simply leave it be if you can organise a good PSU. Watch the orientation if you choose to install it, the stripe will face positive. You need a continuity meter to find out if that is indeed the component.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for all your replies guys.
But the short didn't work. The yellow circle had something which looked like a capacitor, but that had come off about a year ago. The drive was still running after that.
Guess will need to find a second hand PCB or a donor drive, hoping that only the PCB is bad.

Back