Friend's New Build: 38k

Hey Folks, my friend is building his Rig. He wants to finish his purchase tomorrow. So, please throw some light on his purchase.

Q: What is your budget?

37-38K

Q: What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)

None as such

Q: Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)

Monitor - Samsung 22" (No idea)

HDD - 1 TB

Q: Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.

CPU - AMD Phenom II X4 955BE

Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-880GA-UD3H

GPU - AMD HD6950 2GB

Q: Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component

Yes, will upgrade the following within 6 months

Monitor

Q: Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)

Mumbai/ Navi Mumbai

Q: Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market

Yes, But only Cabinets if its a steal :p

Q: What is your intended use for this PC/hardware

Gaming

Browsing

HTPC

Watching HD movies

3D Modelling and Designing

Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.

Prefer ASUS Mobos

Q: If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?

All Genres

Q: What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage

Gaming - 1920*1080

Desktop - 1920*1080

Q: Are you looking to overclock?

Yes

Q: Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?

Windows 7 64 bit

Suggest me PSU,Cabinet or VFM configuration. Please can you recommend shops in Mumbai or Navi Mumbai who can assist him later on any RMA issues.

TIA and Cheers.

I wouldnt suggest to invest in a AM3 socket when its going to get EOLed in 2 months! Get a i5 2400 + H67 mobo!

Components Description Price (INR)

Processor Intel Core i5 2400 9300

Motherboard MSI H67MA-E35 4700

RAM Corsair 4GB DDRIII 1333MHz 2100

GPU MSI R6950 Twin Frozr II/OC 2GB GDDR5 15000

Cabinet NZXT Gamma 2200

PSU Corsair VX550W 4600

Key Board Logitech MMKB+Mouse 700

Mouse NA -

Total 38600

Use the old speakers and the DVD R/W and a Sandy Bridge Quad setup easily fits in which is superior to 955BE and also LGA1155 is supposed to be compatible with Ivy Bridge too!

i5 2400 consumes much lesser power thatn the 955BE!

AnandTech - Bench - CPU

But another thing is that, are the current batches of HD6950 Unlockable. He is also into OCing. Do we have any AMD alternative squeesing in a Hexa Core.

Hades. said:
Is i5 2500 selling for 9300 bucks? If yes then where? Or is it a typo?

Oops. Meant the i5 2400! Corrected.

avinash4 said:
But another thing is that, are the current batches of HD6950 Unlockable. He is also into OCing. Do we have any AMD alternative squeesing in a Hexa Core.
Not sure about this. But the one that i recommended is not reference design.

AMD PhenomII X6 1055T ~ 7.9k

TheITWares - AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition Thuban 3.2GHz 6 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Six-Core Desktop Processor - TheITWares ~ 9.2k

TheITWares - GIGABYTE GA-880GA-UD3H AM3 AMD 880G HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard ~5.5k

GA-880GA-UD3H is hard to find though! If OC then 1090T BE has an advantage with the unlocked multi!

Also get a GSkill or XMS3 4GB DDR3 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit for ~2.6k!

Avinash if you want best of both worlds then you can contact smc to arrange one MSI HD6950 Twin Frozr III for you.. HD 6950 Twin Frozr III comes with BIOS switch so you can unlock it...

Even though 1090T is overclockable but still not advisable... Tell your friend to go with an SB based rig... i5 2500 beats 1090T in most tests... Plus consumes way less power than 1090T... And going with an SB based rig would make sense cos ivy bridge processors would be backward compatible...

Checkout this review: AMD Phenom II X4 980 Black Edition Quad-Core Processor Review - The Fastest Quad-Core AMD Has Ever Released - 980 BE - Legit Reviews

But if you want to build an Amd based rig then i would advise you to wait for bulldozer...

If you are going to OC then don't get anything more than the X6 1075T. Use the money saved on that to buy a good cooler as the entire X6 series are good overclockers. Even the 1055T can touch 4Ghz with decent ram, motherboard and a hyper TX-3.

@Hades-
Avinash if you want best of both worlds then you can contact smc to arrange one MSI HD6950 Twin Frozr III for you.. HD 6950 Twin Frozr III comes with BIOS switch so you can unlock it...

He wants his purchase to be done today. Is it available in Mumbai?

But if you want to build an Amd based rig then i would advise you to wait for bulldozer...

I have another thing in mind is that he can get a Gigabyte GA-880GA-UD3H Revised 3.1 with AM3+ support and then get a BD later for it.

He wants his purchase to be done today. Is it available in Mumbai?

He can contact TheITWares... he also sells MSI GPUs...

I have another thing in mind is that he can get a Gigabyte GA-880GA-UD3H Revised 3.1 with AM3+ support and then get a BD later for it.

I wouldn't advise you to do this... Bulldozer CPUs have some new power saving feature aswell as Turbocore 2.0 which current 8xx chipset motherboards wouldn't be able to support... And i hardly think that your friend would be able to find AM3+ socket motherboards in mumbai...

Back