PC Peripherals Front Speaker Outlet Not Working

Avtar

Adept
We all have speaker/mic ports at the back of our CPU's, but a couple of them have them in the front as well.

I plugged my headphones into the front socket, no sound.

I unplugged the speakers from the back, and then plugged headphones in from the front.

No sound.

Help? :p

firstly make sure u connected the pins of the front speaker to the mobo...
its usually in the lower right corner. secondly to connect it u have to refer to the manual of ur motherboard as each board has different arrangement for connecting it.

No offence, but did you open and verify that the cables are connected? A new CPU would not necessarily mean its connected ;)

If it is connected, make sure its plugged into the right header

Make sure its not a case of the microphone/headphone connections being interchanged - i.e. plug into both the connections and ensure it works.

Finally i hope the headphones are working :p

my hardware vendor had told me that either the backpanel or the frontpanel works for the speakers. Both cannot work at the same time. Something to do with the connections on the mobo

Kick him in the b** :mad: and tell him to take a crash course in hardware or visit TE :eek:hyeah:

There are connections in the mobo for the front audio panel, so that u can connect the headphone and mic jack.

^^ Would it be possible that it was because I had an old nVidia (3 yrs old) mobo. Basically he told me that the mobo had a single connection and when he got the PC for me he asked me which connection I would be using (front or back).

It's a problem with the front panel connectors of the case, not the mobo. Sounds like they're not even connected to the mobo.

There is a jumper block on mobos that allows you to connect the front panel connector from the case.

Normally they come with jumpers that permit the rear connector to work, like this:

|-| (| is the connector and - is the jumper)

It basically has a send and return on the same set of pins, and the return line is connected to the rear sockets.

Some mobos (ASrock, eg) have a separate set of jumpers to determine whether you can use one or both connections - most mobos don't and the same jumper block serves as an output and return.

First the jumper is removed, which disconnects the send from the return. They have to be physically connected to each other for the rear output to work. Some cases (as per the Intel FP audio spec) have switched connectors, so the front output when used will disconnect the rear output.

Some don't follow the spec and in those cases the leadout wires that connect to the mobo will have only one wire per channel, and two connectors on the same wire. When connected to the mobo, this is a dead short and now both the front and rear can be used.

Then there's HD audio, which requires a separate front panel configuration, and a compatible mobo, and then you can flexibly route audio signals wherever you want.

Back