Storage Solutions Frustratingly Slow External HDD

bejay

Disciple
Hey Guys,

I have SATA I 200GB 7200rpm HDD housed in a external casing and have been using it for more than an year now. It used to work fine until recently for last few months it has become frustratingly slow to get detected on my computer. It takes a minimum of 10 attempts :mad: before it gets detected. But once it gets detected it works smoothly. I have tried formatting the HDD but no use. It has large number of Audio/Video files. Any solution to this problem?

Thnx again
BJ

try connecting the hdd without the casing , if still having the same problem then it might be the hdd, else the casing ... which casing btw ??

i did try connecting without the casing worked smoothly without any problems. so do u think its the casing?? i have also tried replacing the power/data cables but the problem persues. Casing is ADVIK. heard of it. i got it ages back

^ Old Casing = Dying.....and make sure u stop using it because in case it goes totally kaput due to come circuit thingie , it just might take the HDD along with it and so will all the data !......so get a proper one...or the elcheapo ones....cost under 500 buks.

well thx guys for all the replies, after a long testing time, i found that when i seggregate the files from the root dir to folders, the initial detection & access times drastically comes down. So far now again its working really smooth.

Back