FS: 12" subwoofer driver from Peerless India

Status
Not open for further replies.

yusuf

Adept
Do anyone need 12" subwoofer driver from Peerless India?

Based on suggestion from various forums, I am buying Peerless 12" subwoofer driver. However, vendor only sells it in pair and I only need one so I am looking for someone to partner with me.

Price is Rs. 7000/pair so each will be Rs. 3500. This price is not under my control and hence I am not in position to negotiate.

I am in Bangalore. Vendor is visiting Bangalore on 19th and he said he can bring those with him if we confirm.

Please let me know quickly if you are interested. I wil only buy if I get some partner.

Here is link to peerless subwoofer drivers (there are two 12" paper cone model, he yet to confirm which model he has)

PeerLess Fabrikkerne India

For those who have not heard about Peerless, they are OEM for many reputed Internation brands in USA/Europe.

I will prefer if you are from bangalore.

Can he drop one off in Mumbai? I may be interested.

It's a very high Q. What is the application you had in mind - have you modelled it? IMO it looks good only for sealed boxes, maybe I'll give this a spin in the modeller tomorrow evening, but it really looks like a low-excursion sealed sub (22mm VC height would mean less than 20 mm p-p).

Can you run a modeller on this tonight (I have no access to my home PC till tomorrow) and let me know the box size and your take on the application?

sangram said:
Can he drop one off in Mumbai? I may be interested.

It's a very high Q. What is the application you had in mind - have you modelled it? IMO it looks good only for sealed boxes, maybe I'll give this a spin in the modeller tomorrow evening, but it really looks like a low-excursion sealed sub (22mm VC height would mean less than 20 mm p-p).

Can you run a modeller on this tonight (I have no access to my home PC till tomorrow) and let me know the box size and your take on the application?

I am not sure if he can drop. We discussed that I can pick it up from Airport when he arrives. However, we can make some arrangement so that you can pick it up from his place in Mumbai and I pickup another piece from bangalore airport.

I am planning bandpass/ported enclosure for this. However, I like to hear your opinion. Do you have advice? Let me know which modeller to run and I can run it tonight and post results here.

WinISD beta. It'll take you ten minutes to download, another five minutes to enter the driver data and the simulation will take 10 seconds.

LinearTeam - Windows Interactive Speaker Designer

I basically need two sims:

1. sealed box size (cu.ft.) for .5, .7 and .9 system Q. OK maybe not .5, the woofer can't really do it.

2. Ported box size (cu. ft) and port dimensions (inches) at tuning. It'll ask for a box tuning, use EBS -6dB for me please.

Thanks a lot. My sense is a woofer with such a high Q will not work well in a bandpass enclosure, but you can try.

We can continue this on PM if you wish. I'm perfectly fine with picking up the second woofer in Mumbai. I hope you're not buying this from Chaudhary. PM me to find out why.

what are the paramteres that must be entered in new driver database. I tried to enter few (Qts, Qms, Qes, Z, Fs, vas, and SPL) but it does not allow me to save so I wonder it is expecting something which I am not doing

Sealed...
1. Qb=0.707,Fb=43.29, Size=3.1cu ft
2. Qb=0.9 ,Fb=55.10, Size=1.5cu ft

Vented...
EBS6 is not worth looking at...9.1cu ft,14.8Hz

EBP 57.1 is too low for ported.

Basically the high Q and even higher Vas(115 l) is screwing things up.
So sealed with a LT would be the best bet.

Yes, I thought so - thanks Sashi!! Maybe a 0.9 with LT (do you also have the ability to simulate the components for an LT? I don't!) to bring it down to 0.5?

Except the VC height is only 22 mm so xmax wil be what? 8 mm one-way? In which case is it worth it except for a small HT? Maybe a computer subwoofer.

That EBS is massive, the .7 is also pretty large. Maybe if we take a 2 cu ft box we can bring it to .8 or so, and then do the Linkwitz.

yusuf - Jus fill in the Qms and Qes. Any blue cells will mean you've entered some wrong values. Just fill one value at a time till you are able to save.

Basically you just need the Qes, Qms, Qts (auto mode), Vas and Fs to get a basic tuning in place. Or so I think, don't have it on hand to confirm, maybe tomorrow evening.

When do you have to absolutely absolutely confirm to Jeetubhai?

I do not have EBS in mind. Morever I am looking for decent sub for my HT.

As you mentioned, I can target sealed box with Qtc somewhere around .8.

Another option I was looking at was JBL 1204D with lower Vas but slightly higher Qts. I will like to hear your opinion too. Below is T/S for JBL

VOICE COIL DC RESISTANCE: REVC (OHMS) . . . . . . 1.93
VOICE COIL INDUCTANCE @ 1 KHZ: LEVC (MH) . . . . . . . 1.10
DRIVER RADIATING AREA: SD (IN2) . . . . . . . . 82.46
SD (M2) . . . . . . . 532.00
MOTOR FORCE FACTOR: BL (TM) . . . . . . . 10.17
COMPLIANCE VOLUME: VAS (FT3) . . . . . . . . 3.34
VAS (LITERS) . . . . . 94.47
SUSPENSION COMPLIANCE: CMS (μM/N) . . . . 233.70
MOVING MASS, AIR LOAD: MMS (GRAMS). . . . 181.00
MOVING MASS, DIAPHRAGM: MMD (GRAMS) . . . 173.80
FREE-AIR RESONANCE: FS (HZ) . . . . . . . . 24.50
MECHANICAL Q: QMS . . . . . . . . . . . 6.97
ELECTRICAL Q: QES . . . . . . . . . . . 0.52
TOTAL Q: QTS . . . . . . . . . . . . 0.48
MAGNETIC-GAP HEIGHT: HAG (IN) . . . . . . . . 3/8
HAG (MM) . . . . . . . . 9.00
VOICE-COIL HEIGHT: HVC (IN) . . . . . . 1-5/16
HVC (MM) . . . . . . . . . . 34
MAXIMUM EXCURSION: XMAX (IN) . . . . . . . . 1/2
XMAX (MM) . . . . . . 12.50

Btw, I have to tell Jeetbhai at least by 17 if we are interested.

The JBL looks much better, a very healthy X-max. The Qts is in the same range as the Peerless, yet the Vas is lower, so maybe it can become a better sub. Is this also from Jeetubhai?

Sashi simulated EBS because I asked for it.

The JBL may fit into a medium (2 cft) ported box, tuned to about 30 Hz. I really need to run a sim, but maybe that will be the better bet.

How much for the JBL?

JBL is around 4K. I just saw it in someone's car and he said that he purchased it from a local store in Bangalore.

Btw, I also came across a Pioneer one (W306C). Fs is sligtly higher (32.6) but Vas is significantly lower (55 l) and Qts is .42, so it will go into even small sealed enclosure but Fc could be higher (around 50). However, I would guess this will be more suitable for ported than sealed. Xmax (8.7 mm). This is around 3.5K

Btw, both JBL and Pioneer are car subwoofer.

Any idea from where do I get plate amplifier OR decent and not so expensive sub amplifier. I need it for my DIY subwoofer project.

Yes, bang on. The JBL will give you Qtc of .809 in a 2 cu.ft box, the perfect size for a 12" woofer. Fb is about 41 Hz, with the -3db point at 36 Hz and the -10 at 22 Hz. In-room should give you response down to about 25 Hz flat, depending on your room.

It's a 2 ohm sub, so you won't be able to use many (if any) plate amps I'm aware of. People have used car amps, which are supposed to be able to take the 2 ohm load, or you'll just have to make your own.

I think we should go back to PMs - let's not get people confused, as this is completely OT. Do let me know how things turn out for you.

You're spot on about the Pioneer being meant for a ported sub. Nice EBS3 alignment, you should get it flat all the way down to 20 Hz in-room. The sensitivity and impedance need to work for you though, and you'll have to be careful about where you put it in the room.

Is the JBL a car sub? If so the sensitivity may be quoted with cabin gain, so you'll have to take some off that very high figure, and end up with about 85 dB usable, so you'll need tons of power (think about 500-700 watts RMS). Thank God it has a very healthy X-max, so it should be able to do it. You'll also need a very strong box for that sub, as 500 watts of power through a sub that can travel an inch each way, is a lot of pressure.

Do yourself a favour, get on to diyAudio.com - audio projects by fanatics, for fanatics. The combined knowledge of people there is more than sixteen of my lifetimes. You'll get much better help - I've never actually built a sub, it's only pron for me as of now, I lust for one but don't have it yet. Talk to people who do more than just run simulations!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back