Full Time MBA at 30 - Does it make sense?

Good points given above in this thread. In my case, I was pretty unsure at what role to get into after 3 years in IT, and the MBA gave me some structure.
But the problem is, an MBA should also incorporate networking and idea generation for entrepreneurship on a large scale. And it is that which will help people wanting to get ahead in life. If one wants to get ahead in life just paypacket wise, then an MBA in a top 20 institute in india will be enough (considering one has any decent skills).

I have to say a few things to say from my own experience

1. Yes, I studied in one of those top 10 institutes and no it was not IIPM :p

2. I was 28 when I went in for my MBA. Every single day was a struggle for me. By the time you had finished informing everyone the reason you are doing your MBA at this age, the summers will be on you. It is completely in favor of freshers. There is rarely any skills involved as you had just finished your first or second trim by then which means they pick by age. I had a hard time getting a placement and I had to do it in a start up. This meant that I had no scope of a PPO and basically had to worry till the end of college on whether you can land a decent job.

3. I did manage to get a very good job in my finals but then I had 6 rounds for the same spread over roughly 2 days which menas they screw you real hard to check if you will qualify.

My advice - At 30 doing an expensive MBA from India is very very risky. If you really want to do one pay a little extra and do one from Singapore or Australia or New Zealand.

Just adding a small point about what people said about age being a factor in colleges that are not in the top 10.

My friend completed his MBA (after 2 years of work experience (I.T.)) in 2012 from Goa Institute of Management. To keep things in perspective, now the MBA fees is around 10 lakhs. The top placements were around 8 lakhs per annum. Also, he told me that many companies were only looking for freshers. Even my friend got placed with a lesser salary than what I was earning after 2.5 years of work-ex ( we both are engineers ).

Not sure if it is really worth it unless you are in the top 5/10.

Go abroad. Do an MBA there. Average age is 29 in the top 50.

Just make sure you choose the school sensibly.

Oh and don't come back after that

Might wanna add some value to your thoughts by makings some points? Thanks for your time.

After researching for over a year and asking my friends in various European countries and US, I concluded that:

1. MBAs cost a lot of money
2. No matter where you do your MBA abroad, after coming back to India you will be in debt for a very long time as the degrees are not valued here because most HR are dumb/do not know about the university/just won't pay you enough anyway.
3. UK situation is pretty bad in the job market, but its more for MS than MBA. MBA graduates salary is 2 times higher than MA/MS graduates from equivalent level colleges thus allowing them to satisfy the Work Permit requirement for minimum 40000 GBP annual salary.
4. France is giving more jobs to international MBA students
5. US market has started opening up
6. Due to the miserable state of INR, you would be able to pay off your loans in 2-3 years with help from the exchange rate.
7. A top level college does not necessarily guarantee a job/the highest of salaries. It depends on a lot of factors.

So do a lot of in depth research before you finalise your schools and while you are at it, clear GMAT as the score is valid for 5 years

All this is not applicable for people sent by companies for higher education, people who have a company to run when they finish their degree and people who are just doing it for fun and have enough dough (yes there are a few like them around)

After researching for over a year and asking my friends in various European countries and US, I concluded that:

1. MBAs cost a lot of money
2. No matter where you do your MBA abroad, after coming back to India you will be in debt for a very long time as the degrees are not valued here because most HR are dumb/do not know about the university/just won't pay you enough anyway.
3. UK situation is pretty bad in the job market, but its more for MS than MBA. MBA graduates salary is 2 times higher than MA/MS graduates from equivalent level colleges thus allowing them to satisfy the Work Permit requirement for minimum 40000 GBP annual salary.
4. France is giving more jobs to international MBA students
5. US market has started opening up
6. Due to the miserable state of INR, you would be able to pay off your loans in 2-3 years with help from the exchange rate.
7. A top level college does not necessarily guarantee a job/the highest of salaries. It depends on a lot of factors.

So do a lot of in depth research before you finalise your schools and while you are at it, clear GMAT as the score is valid for 5 years

All this is not applicable for people sent by companies for higher education, people who have a company to run when they finish their degree and people who are just doing it for fun and have enough dough (yes there are a few like them around)
This is one sound advice. @OP say no to Indian MBA at such stage. Its not worth it. Many companies want freshers who are foolish and willing to work long hours without a hint of work-life balance.

Wow.. this thread has made mo more confused. Was completely unaware that freshers are at advantage than people with more experience in Indian Bschool placement space.

I am surprised with all the Negative feedback for MBA in this thread . Its not a ROI process you are thinking about from day one.
Its something which you learn and practice in your profession.
My suggestion to you would be - Don't think about how much you will benefit out of it. Don't be one of those 99.9% of the crowd who only weigh each thing by the benefit they will get out of it.
You have one life . So do your MBA degree which you want to do without thinking about the pros or cons. Knowledge is power. Try to use it in your lifetime or you can be assured you did the right things when you go up.

^^ might be true. But when you're going to be indentured to a 15L or so loan for a while with the prospect of a vastly lesser salary than the numbers present, and when you're just trying to make ends meet right now, It's hard not to think of ROI.

Do an MBA, but get a reality check first. Its easy to say that getting into a top 10 institute is a must, but are you actually academically good enough to do that. Also at 30 its tough to get back to books, but then again, there really aint much to study in an mba (i am an mba too, i kow)
See today to get a decent job, minimum requirement is an mba unless you carry a specialization on you. I am guessing you dont have one.

I didnt pass out from a top 10 school, cause i didnt study hard enough for the entrance exam. My first job at citi only paid me 25k a month. My first yr at work was a slog but post that i took a big jump. 4 yrs later i quit with enough money to buy a shop, godown and start a new business from scratch.

What i am trying to say is, go about this the right way. Now every mba makes d kind of money i did, irrespective of which school he passed out of. Some of the top private bankers in India today are just B-com passouts. D highest paid pvt banker used to sell taps before he switched to selling financial products. I was a pvt banker and he was my senior.. POINT being, TRY... dont think about what will happen 3 yrs later. Cause at the end of the day, work is work and if you do your work well, the money will come.. (i have purposely not used the right saying that-- If you are good at what you do, money will come, Honestly i dont believe thats true in the current market scenario)

Just happened to see this thread by chance... Not that i wanted to do mba or something... Im in d healthcare field..

But very informative thread, n good luck to OP :thumbup:

Back