Graphic Cards Funny and irritating problem!! :(

sidx19

Disciple
I recently bought a zotac 9800GTX+, which requires a 8-pin power connector and got 2 6-pin x 8-pin cable with it!! The problem is, the card runs on my CM 500 ep+, but hangs either at the desktop, login screen or before that. On the first day i was able to game on it for say about 60 seconds, but it was running for about 20 mins..!! But since today, its not stayed more than 2 min. I've even tried reinstallin Windows 7 and played a lot with the drivers. The card runs fine when in safe mode at 1280x720 res. Please help guys.. What do i do to get rid of this problem?

PSU: CM 500 Extreme Power +
CARD: Zotac 9800GTX+

try it in any other system with a good psu...and do a clean format and install os...also check all cables...sata ,power connectors etc

A lock up at boot/ log in screen can be due to any driver/ software issue. A CM 500 (Extreme or whatever) should not stop you from accessing your desktop. Since safe mode runs fine, I'd probably discount any hardware issues per se. You can try to run the card in someone's system or borrow a card from someone to test your system. I'd rather un-install all drivers and install the latest drivers from the component manufacturer's site before troubleshooting the hardware, though. Since you have mentioned a re-install of the OS, I don't think you have any system level software installed?

Desecrator said:
What are the rest of the system specs? Power supply is probably the culprit.

A Q8400, 4GB Corsair DDR2, Asus P5q.. if it would've been the psu then why would the card run happily in safe mode or without the drivers?? :(

Naga said:
A lock up at boot/ log in screen can be due to any driver/ software issue. A CM 500 (Extreme or whatever) should not stop you from accessing your desktop. Since safe mode runs fine, I'd probably discount any hardware issues per se. You can try to run the card in someone's system or borrow a card from someone to test your system. I'd rather un-install all drivers and install the latest drivers from the component manufacturer's site before troubleshooting the hardware, though. Since you have mentioned a re-install of the OS, I don't think you have any system level software installed?

The card was doing the same thing before the re-install. And i've tried uninstalling all the video drivers and then installin the component driver frm the manufacturers site too.. doesn't work!! Heck i've even tried a modified driver from Guru3D!! No luck.. :(.. i still don't get why the card works fine without any drivers installed... tht is after cleaning all the drivers using Driver Cleaner!!

shouldn't be the PSU, *IF* it is producing its rated wattage.

I am running E8200, 4 gb RAM, 2 HDDs, 1 DVD Drive, 6 fans with GTS 250 (less power hungry 9800 gtx+) on same brand 460 watt supply with no issues at all.

Which driver version you are using, IIRC some recent version from Nvidia caused many problems, try using the latest one & optionally test it on other OS too.

Do a format and install the OS and other drivers afresh. If the problem persists try the card on your friend's PC. Was this a second-hand card by any chance?

I still have my doubts on the power supply nevertheless.

adi_vastava said:
shouldn't be the PSU, *IF* it is producing its rated wattage.

I am running E8200, 4 gb RAM, 2 HDDs, 1 DVD Drive, 6 fans with GTS 250 (less power hungry 9800 gtx+) on same brand 460 watt supply with no issues at all.

Which driver version you are using, IIRC some recent version from Nvidia caused many problems, try using the latest one & optionally test it on other OS too.

The problem is that it doesn't run with any driver.. i've tried drivers from 181.xx to the latest 197.45..!! Same issues!! :(

Desecrator said:
Do a format and install the OS and other drivers afresh. If the problem persists try the card on your friend's PC. Was this a second-hand card by any chance?

I still have my doubts on the power supply nevertheless.

sunny27 said:
check the card on another pc.

Well, none of my friends nearby have a better power supply than mine!! So can't check on other's PC.. I'll have to go to rashi and get the card checked.. but they object because its zotac branded!! I'm gonna get the card tested before doing any more OS installations. Even though... why the **** won't the card run with the drivers installed?? Darn it!! :X

Why don't you try Formatting your PC. Which means a complete clean re-install of any of the Operating System you use.

^^

Try the driver sweeper method. Seems botched, drivers. Else fresh OS install. PSU could be causing those hiccups.

sidx19 said:
The card was doing the same thing before the re-install. And i've tried uninstalling all the video drivers and then installin the component driver frm the manufacturers site too.. doesn't work!! Heck i've even tried a modified driver from Guru3D!! No luck.. :(.. i still don't get why the card works fine without any drivers installed... tht is after cleaning all the drivers using Driver Cleaner!!
Have you re-installed all system drivers? I meant the component drivers as in Intel drivers from Intel, audio from Realtek etc. If you are facing log in hang ups (which are not reproduced in safe mode), I don't see how anything else but a system level file/ driver can be the culprit. A long shot what but what AV? Scanned for malware etc? A newly formatted OS can also get infected if any file on your other partitions is infected.

Did you face the issues before installing the card drivers? Can you do a complete un-install of all drivers and apps (shouldn't be much since you've just re-formatted) and check the stability? If it's stable then, download and install chipset drivers, storage drivers, audio drivers and card drivers, in that order. Check for stability after each step. Check event viewer logs for errors too.

Of course, if even the removal of all drivers/ apps doesn't give you stability, you'll have to trouble shoot individual hardware components.

Alright.. so i've given up with the adventures of 9800gtx+, but now there seems to be a new problem!! I went back to my integrated intel x4500 graphics and happily started iTunes to play a song!! Song was playin fine, but the sound was quite low.. so i increase the volume only to find out that its at full!! I have the latest Realtek drivers installed, but can't seem to find out what may have caused the sudden huge decrease in sound output!! My creative 5.1 works like a local 2.0 right now!! :( earlier today, I tried the 9800GTX+ again and it worked for about 3 mins with the driver installed and then hung while there was some kind of weird sound comin from my speakers!! It had happened earlier so i dint bother.. it sounded like a transformer!! :(.. my system was workin fine yesterday when i was running on stock graphics..!! Now what the hell could this be?? :mad:

System = 5.1... it was working fine yesterday.. even though i had experienced the same transformer sound 2 or 3 times!! darn it!!

EDIT: THe sound is alright now!! :D

May be your sound card has gone bad and interfering with the working of your pc/card ?. Because ive heard that if any of the components go bad they do cause issues like this. I've come across a situation where my cousin's dvd drive has malfunctioned and caused system restarts. WHen he disconnected the drive the pc worked as usual.

So Try removing your sound card and install your gfx card and see if your pc hangs up. If still it hangs, then you can try installing win xp and check.

K guys.. So finally I managed to check the card out at Rashi Mangalore, and guess what!! Windows XP never showed its desktop.. :( He suggested me to use it on a nvidia motherboard... i took the card and came back home!! So no luck yet... the card still crashes with the driver installed!! :(

I think you got a bum card.
The nerve of the guy telling you the card'll only work on an nvidia board!
He probably didn't want to accept the card for RMA cos it'll affect his stats, or cause him a little additional work.
Try another card in your system if you can, and if it works, it means your graphics cards faulty, and needs to be replaced.

Back