Future proof PSU for best value

LDC

Disciple
Hello,
I should have asked this question a day back. Just about to leave for Lamington rd. in Bombay and want to know which PSU I should chose. I DID do my share of reading and I guess if I have the money I should chose Corsair or not then FSP.

I am confused about what wattage to chose, model, etc. I am not a high end gamer or designer. My config right now is:

Biostart 740g MoBo
AMD X2 6000+ 3.0GHz
500GB SATA + 260GB IDE
LG DVD writer
2GB DDR2 RAM Kingston

My psu is a cheap 'powerfocus' 550W. I bought this two years back when I didn't know about the importance of PSUs. Ever since then I have had problems, especially because my motherboard happens to have a maximum TDP of 95W while the proc is 125W. It should have burnt off long back they say but it still survives. However I have had a lot of problems in the past one year, including my SATA drive failing and me getting a replacement, and now my DVD drive no longer even opens. The PSU was once repaired from a shop in Lamingston and I strongly feel this PSU is to blame for more than half of my problems.

I plan on getting an Intel proc and mobo in the near future along with a midrange GPU for gaming.

My budget is anywhere from 2000 to 3800 INR. I want a 'more than decent' PSU which will suffice for my needs atleast for the warranty period of 3 to 5 years :D

Please help.

Within that budget, Corsair VX450 ~ Rs. 3700. Meets your requirement of 5 yrs warranty and leaves headroom for upgrades as well. Eyes closed, look nowhere else :p

Back