Graphic Cards G70 was no new chip, designed from scratch

Blade_Runner

Skilled
G70 was no new chip, designed from scratch
IN CONVERSATION with some knowledgable Nvidians, we learned that the G70 chip was no brand new design.

In fact, they claim its marchitecture was a very well kept secret and Nvidia managed to confuse the whole world by simply renaming one chip and changing a thing or two.

Few non-NDA people and partners believed the new core, manufactured "from scratch" would actually be delivered on time. But that story turned out to be all bluff and bluster. The chip isn't designed from scratch at all - it's all redesigned stuff.

Our knowledgeable friend told us that we should not be too hung up on the nomenclature, as this is Nvidia internal thing and can change anytime.

Nvidia stole a march on rival ATI by bringing the G70 to market quickly and even shipping it the same day. ATI is yet to bring out its response, the 520 wonder chip.

Nvidia had been prepared for a paper launch a while back and would have gone for it if ATI had managed to launch its R520 earlier.

The G70 is really a tweaked NV40 core with more pipelines and some new features and that’s it. This is the common opinion shared by many editors who have been at Nvidia's editors' days and were listening more about the marchitecture than me and some other chaps who were only invited to the launch party in Paris.

Still, we share the same opinion and we all agree that Nvidia is capable of making a fuzz about anything.

G70 could stand for Geforce – Graphic series seven - but no one wants to confirm or deny this.

But then again, who cares? It's faster than NV40, has more pipes and actually works cooler and better than the fastest of the Geforce series six and it's certainly faster than the X850XT PE - the fastest shipping ATI card.

A great step forward for Nvidia, perhaps, but not as revolutionary as the chip designer wants you to believe. Nvidia loves G70 as it helped it capture the performance flag once more and brought it much positive press.

Most important of all, it's shipping. And there is no competition yet from ATI. That will come in the next few weeks, though we still believe the R520 could end up faster - but we don’t yet know when it will come out and what will be the yields.

Time will tell. µ

[RANK="theinquirer.net/?article=24306"]Source[/RANK]

Not only that but also nVIDIA has been desigining a new chip from scratch... Wonder if that will make an appearence when the fudo comes out... I mean the *actual G70*...

I doubt they'll launch any new chip soon. They still have to launch overclocked, watercooled, xtra ram versions of 7800

Switch said:
Not only that but also nVIDIA has been desigining a new chip from scratch... Wonder if that will make an appearence when the fudo comes out... I mean the *actual G70*...
Add to what zhpudey said, they'll also invite the wrath of the users who brought the 7800GTX already paying a hefty 600$ !

Nope if nVidia do that then they will be kicking their loyal fans in the back...

I mean those who already have bought the 7800GTX, but I am anticipating that and thats why I worte this ;)

yes.... and have ATI tearing it's hair out of frustration.....

Nikhil posted 2.52 minutes later:

But the people who bought a 7800GTX can easily afford to sell their card and buy the latest 8800 GTX...... I mean the people who usually buy these sort of cards must be filthy rich.

And if someone has saved up and bought this card, then they cannot do anything.... they will have to be content thinking of the fact that soon even the 8800 will be outdated and make way for the next generation...... it is a never ending process

zhopudey said:
I doubt they'll launch any new chip soon. They still have to launch overclocked, watercooled, xtra ram versions of 7800
Exactly ! I hate it when nVidia keep adding products to the 78xx series. What I wrote there is that it will be just like the 5xxx series with the 5950 launching just after the 5900 Ultra. My freind who bought the 5900 Ultra was so disappointed that his now owns a X600XT and now turned to a FanATIc...

Nvidia dont care about that. They never did.
They released 5950U like this few years ago, also released ti versions of GF3 and its clear that 7800GTX is not the fastest 7800 you will see, they have not named it ultra. Now thats first indication that the Ultra is on its way when and if needed.
Its preety clear that G70 has only 1 noticible feature that is TSAA.
SM3 was already there but now with extra pipes and horsepower its able to handle it more effectively.
I still believe that under normal conditions of R520 releasing on time we would have seen 7800GTX priced at $399. Nvidia is taking advantage of the situation which it has now. Its favouring them with no new card from ATI around to compete against.
And also it is giving them time to phase out the 6800Ultras and GTS which are in the market in huge nos. Who will buy them if they drop the pricing on 7800GTX? And NV40 and NV45 are not cheap to manufacture, so reducing prices too much will not be good for Nvidia.
Its all numbers game. ;)

Fuad is a crack, heavily biased against ATI. NV4x cost a lot in R&D surely they are not gonna phase the tech in a single product cycle. ATI have been modifying its R3xx core since a long time too.

But yes as Funky put no ATI card in mkt for competition, they can price a premium on 7800 GTX. Rest assured with the introduction of R520 7800 GTX prices are gonna plummet.

The 6xxx series is going to be around for atleast another 3-4 years...
GF4Ti is still being sold by companies like MaxForce, and the 6 series is awesome ! No doubt about it, soon the 6600GT will be available for 8k, and that will be a steal...

I dont care what speed my gfx card is as long as it can run the game with good FPS and decent Image quality... I am sure people with 6600GT's will not have to think about upgrading thier cards till another 1+ year or so... Hell i was just reading the beta review of F.E.A.R. on Firingsquad and 6xxx series performs pretty good on the game... The game will be released late this year... As of now it is in beta and is optamised for ATI...

Back