Galaxy S Screen protection

Lord Nemesis

Overlord
Skilled
Guy's who have already purchased this phone, how are you protecting the phone? Are there any screen guards available for this phone yet? Any other measures you have taken to protect it in case of a free fall?

even I was wondering about the same thing...havent put a screen guard uptil now, have been relying on the supplied pouch and the screen doesnt seem prone to scratches very easily, but yes I do intend to get a good screenguard for it. Metalspree, is that zagg available in stores in india?

^^Samsung does not boast about the durability of the screen, but I have seen a video of scratch and drop tests performed on the phone and it seems the tempered glass on this unit is a bit more durable than what seems by its looks. The screen scratched only after using the edge of a very sharp cutter of some sort on the screen and the phone survived 5~6 free falls on a concrete. One more fall later the screen cracked, but the phone was still working.

In any case, I hardly think people would leave the screen unprotected just because the phone uses a scratch resistant screen.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

cynick said:
even I was wondering about the same thing...havent put a screen guard uptil now, have been relying on the supplied pouch and the screen doesnt seem prone to scratches very easily, but yes I do intend to get a good screenguard for it. Metalspree, is that zagg available in stores in india?
jovi said:
but where to get this in india
You can get the Zagg full body cover for 1.8k from eBay global buy.

Lord Nemesis said:
You can get the Zagg full body cover for 1.8k from eBay global buy.

Holy sh*t..... That's 10% of the phone's price!!! I think that the Rinco SGs would be available soon now that the model is gaining popularity.....

My dealer said that the Scratch Guard(the one in the hard brown cover) for Galaxy S is coming tomorrow. I'll be getting it for 350 bucks probably..

sathyanaidu said:
My dealer said that the Scratch Guard(the one in the hard brown cover) for Galaxy S is coming tomorrow. I'll be getting it for 350 bucks probably..
When it comes, please let us know... with pics :)

Lord Nemesis said:
In any case, I hardly think people would leave the screen unprotected just because the phone uses a scratch resistant screen.

I think most people using the HTC Legend leave the screen unprotected. IIRC, there was a thread on XDA developers and it turned out that hardly anyone was interested in a protector. The screen is surprisingly scratch resistant. I've dropped the phone on a tar road, had small chips to the aluminum body but no scratches on the screen so far.

I was contemplating using a scratch protector initially but after I saw how tough the screen was, I decided against it.

One can get screen protector from Maru mobile gallery, sector-17, Vashi which fits suitably on it though the same is meant for other device. I have been using it since day of purchase i.e. 04.07 and happy with it.

Just got it, cost 400 bucks. It fits perfectly and covers everything except the home key and the speaker. Its by ScratchGard ( Welcome to Scratchgard )
IMG_0538.jpg

IMG_0536.jpg

Its specifically for the galaxy S! See the rounded edges n the place where front cam n speakers are not covered. Don't think a custom cut will give that finish... :)

@soumalidon -> will let you know by afternoon :)

Back